Project Big Red

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Did you keep the fan shroud intact?
Turbo waste gated? Up pipes sealed up good like?

Man, thats a real bummer!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that turbo is non gated. I have just about the same boost numbers as heath, maybe a pound or two less but I do have a smaller pump.

mike, how does the turbo sound driving? when mine is making boost it gets pretty dam loud.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It whistles pretty darn good. I hear it pretty much all the time. I bet I have a leak. You know...I wonder if I put a seal on the bolt on my hat. It might be leaking. Wonder if I can soap bubble test iron high idle? Seems like even when I do get on it it just stops at 10 lbs.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you already said it but does it smoke a lot? With that low boost I would think it would be smoking more than normal. What size pump do you have?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a bull moose. It smokes when I get on it. I can't just stab it to the floor. EGT's get out of hand quick.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a junior with very little smoke. I would say you could drive it like you stole it and still keep the pyro in check. It sounds like something is holding the boost back.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't get to pull it again. I did drive it to work this morning.

Called Redhead. Guy said it sounds like air and he has had boxes take weeks to bleed out completely. I believe he's trying to blow smoke up my ass but I guess I'll toss it back in and see. It was definitely tight so that will help that issue. Maybe I just didn't get it bled. I doubt it but I suppose anything is possible. It's just a real PITA to change the damn thing.

I guess that's tonight's adventure. I'm also going to check out the mirror head situation. I have 1 of the universal heads floating around. If it will bolt to my mount I may try it. I saw that on somebody's truck a while back.

Fan clutch shipped.

This is going to be to the wire. Hope I make it.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't get to pull it again. I did drive it to work this morning.

Called Redhead. Guy said it sounds like air and he has had boxes take weeks to bleed out completely. I believe he's trying to blow smoke up my ass but I guess I'll toss it back in and see. It was definitely tight so that will help that issue. Maybe I just didn't get it bled. I doubt it but I suppose anything is possible. It's just a real PITA to change the damn thing.

I guess that's tonight's adventure. I'm also going to check out the mirror head situation. I have 1 of the universal heads floating around. If it will bolt to my mount I may try it. I saw that on somebody's truck a while back.

Fan clutch shipped.

This is going to be to the wire. Hope I make it.

Sounds like between towing and fan clutch we have a lot of the same issues! I'm hoping my new ford clutch is the solution as well.
When your turbo is only boosting 5 psi do you have it floored? Mine only seems to make higher like 9-10 if it's floored. Otherwise it's usually 6-7 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I would be surprised if it was air, any box I changed bled out quickly. I only had to go lock to lock a few times in the air. I could be wrong, I hope something gives and the box works.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll stick it in. If it isn't right fairly quick I'll go get one. I won't be happy about it but I'll do it. It can't stay like it is.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like between towing and fan clutch we have a lot of the same issues! I'm hoping my new ford clutch is the solution as well.
When your turbo is only boosting 5 psi do you have it floored? Mine only seems to make higher like 9-10 if it's floored. Otherwise it's usually 6-7 range.

Can't floor it for mor than a few seconds before EGT's get out of hand. I just happen to have a couple Teflon washers in my pocket to try and see if the seal around the hat bolt is bad.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't floor it for mor than a few seconds before EGT's get out of hand. I just happen to have a couple Teflon washers in my pocket to try and see if the seal around the hat bolt is bad.
Wow I see. My egt will go up but nothing crazy even floored. I suppose if I kept in it on a hill they might get up there but I haven't had it creep much past 1100. And empty it doesn't even get close