Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long should I let the pool run?

First time up on the freeway. 70 mph nice and smooth. No issues. Still need to try and get a little more out of the steering box if I can. It's better but would be nice if it was better.

Any recommendations for V belts? I'm about ready to pitch the Gates belts I have now. No matter how tight I pull things, can't seem to get rid of the squeal.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of guys run belts for tractors. I guess it works good. I sometimes have had better luck with the cheap belts.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking a set of parts store cheapies might be in my future.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
When I worked at the parts store the gates belts were the best. The dayco belts seemed to work great as well though. Are the belts glazed? I am actually doing like Elijah mentioned and have a set of dual tractor belts under my hood now.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright. Bidding is closed.

So during that trip as I pulled up into my buddy's driveway it just died like the key was turned off. Get out. Realize lift pump isn't running. It's hot. Okay. Must have lost lift pump. He runs me back to the house to pick up the spare which arrived this morning still on the porch in the box. Throw few tools in the car and back we go. Swap the pump. Still doesn't run. Okay. Hmm. That's odd. Headlight is on but just one??? No reason for that except a goofy electrical issue. Hey, what's this loose wire?? Damn. That's the ground. Oh!!! This all makes sense now. Fix the ground. Hit the key. Pump takes off. Purge the air from everything and bam. Off she goes. So the way I've got it wired, it killed the relay that turns on the pumps and the injector pump fuel shutoff. So indeed, it was like turning off the key. Got it home. Tightened up the ground good. Another round on the steering box and took it on another 30 mile trip. No issues. FINALLY.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh Mike.You left this beautifully restored truck v-belt! 3 lashes with a wet noodle!:D Sometime down the road,look to see if someone has the serp pulleys so you can upgrade.That said,the gates belts are about as good as they get.
Good to see your fuel issue was just a bad ground to the pump relay.Troublesome and irritating but at least super simple to fix once you found the issue.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh Mike.You left this beautifully restored truck v-belt! 3 lashes with a wet noodle!:D Sometime down the road,look to see if someone has the serp pulleys so you can upgrade.That said,the gates belts are about as good as they get.
Good to see your fuel issue was just a bad ground to the pump relay.Troublesome and irritating but at least super simple to fix once you found the issue.
Since I deleted the vacuum pump, I'm not sure I could even use a standard serp system. I'll give this a go. It seems to be getting better. I MAY have had ATF on a belt after my issue the other night. It's possible. [emoji6]

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yup that's likely the issue.What can you soak a belt in to remove ATF?
I ditched my vac pump on chip truck with the serp belt,no problem.I had to use a shorter belt of course but no issues.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

I have to disagree with this...... I've dealt with both systems, and on the IDI, I would rather have the V-Belts..... I have an IDI now, with the serpentine system, a 6/92 truck. With the issues that I've had in the last 6 months with the serpentine belt and serpentine accessories I would rather have the V-Belts. One issues, had I had V-Belts 5 seconds with a pocket knife I and would have been golden. With the serpentine system, it was get as close to home as we could and go get the tractor and chain...... To me, the serpentine system seemed to be a "last minute" idea by Ford.... with the various issues, it was most definitively not perfected when it was released. That being said, all but one of my vehicles has as serpentine belt, and I am fine with them..... but they were designed from the ground up as a serpentine belt system...... with having less than 2 years left with the IDI (which they knew was becoming obsolete) they should have left it alone......

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with this...... I've dealt with both systems, and on the IDI, I would rather have the V-Belts.....

I thought I was the only one, after having tensioners explode and break off and all kinds of issues I modified the oem tensioner and tapped for better hardware I am finally squeak and trouble free, I would have done a write up but I didnt realize anyone else was having issues :(

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike Well done! Finding gremlins will go on longer than expected I'm afraid, and I hope you don't experience that. Run the wheels off it just like you're doing. You've done an epic amount of work. So there are a lot of little things that could crop up.

I run V-belts and Serpentines. Truthfully I don't have a preference. Both work fine. On the IDI's I do like the V-belts cause you can drop a lot of accessories before you can't drive it.

Keep us up to date! Hoping for the best!!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well last road test went well. Still have a little slop in the steering which is in the steering box. I have to call redhead and see what if anything they will do. Otherwise I'll go to. Napa and get one.

I stopped and picked up an RV to flat 4 adapter with indicator to check my trailer plug. Glad I did. The color code inside the plug was just completely wrong from everything I've seen. I think everything else is right looking at a schematic after getting the lights and ground correct. The others fall into place.

I greased everything. Checked rear end grease level. Anyone know what a reasonable temp is for the rear axle? It was pretty warm after a few miles of freeway followed by some highway. Hope it's okay.

Hubs seem fine all the way around.

Everything goes to plan I'll have the camper home tomorrow afternoon. I have to say I feel crazy for going after it with just a little over 100 miles on the truck but it needs done. It's not too far to hagarstown and I scoped out a back road way home that's not too crazy.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Actually have a diff temp gauge in a 379 pete. Ive seen 120-140 before. Never concerned me. The needle dont move till 100*.

Cant be tooo much difference o_O