Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it has to be a leak. The way it was just stopping at 10 psi should have been a clue. Now I have to find it. It also seems like maybe it's getting worse.

In other news, cheap fuel pressure gauge exploded leaving a puddle of fuel. Glad I caught it when I did. Stuck a plug in its place and it seems good to go.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot your running a nice turbo not like my old school tiny 088 ats. You should be boosting closer to 12-15 I'd imagine. Let me know what leaks you find and how. Smoke test??
I want to reseal my hat and the o rings on the turbo too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My factory turbo set-up would not make boost till I turned up the fuel. Not sure this is valid given the pump you have verses my factory pump, just food for thought.
Small exhaust leaks between manifold and turbo will "self seal". Look for black soot.
Also, my suggestion regarding small vibrations, don't waste time investigating till you have more seat time. Remember, you just assembled this thing after years of downtime. Obviously this doesn't include major issues. Heck I know my truck sits for several months during the late winter and early spring without moving and those first few rides are noticeably noisy.
BTW, she's lookin good!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not ideal or im sure what you want but a new tite box will be better then the old sloppy one. it at least wont be all over the road.

with the amount of boost your loosing I would think there would be noise of some kind, indicating a leak. you should be hitting 15 lbs no problem with the smaller exhaust side.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I hope you can get it all solved so you have a nice ride down. the clock is ticking!!! and I have a hood to finish.....

you keep distracting me mike.LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike with the smaller A/R turbine housing, you should build boost very quickly. Gotta be a leak somewhere on the turbine or compressor side of the turbo plumping. EGT's were the biggest improvement I had when swapping over to the Moose turbo, but my A/R is one size larger on the turbine.

I've found that timing will mess with your EGT's when hauling. Too much advance or retardation, and they will not be ideal. Odd than increasing your RPM hurts your coolant temp. Like someone posted above, keeping the RPM singing around the 2500 range keeps my EGT's and coolant temps very comfortable when climbing grades. What does a RPM change do to your EGT's.

My biggest improvement in coolant temp control was the Rodney Red. Lord knows how old the fan clutch is on the 6.9. But, like Jared said, I can hear it kick on, even with the ball bearing Garrett screaming under the hood. Another factor in coolant temp control is tight airflow going into and out of the radiator. Try and close any gaps between the radiator and the radiator support and shroud.

My suspicion is that once you get your boost and timing fixed, you'll have better EGT's and corresponding coolant temps.

Like stated above, some simple strap-on (LOL) tow mirror extensions are quick and easy to put on and take off as you need. Used them for years on the crew cab.

Please, please be careful if you haul the camper through MD/WV route.:shocked:

Heath

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I can get the boost and handling sorted I'm not too concerned. It's a pig only being able to run half throttle. The camper isn't that heavy. I shouldn't struggle with it as much as I did yesterday.

Bottom line pretty much is if I don't get the handling and boost sorted we'll just have to cancel. I can't even start to imagine making that trip even over a couple days with things as they are currently. I hate to even say that but that's the reality. It's not worth melting the truck down or crashing the new camper to rush and get there. Not to mention getting someone hurt if things go real bad.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been kicked in the ***'s by Murphy at rally time myself. Lost a head gasket heading to Mel's rally in 2011. Luckily I was just 30 miles from home, but it sucked just as bad.

I left the camper at home and made the trip with my F250 and a tent. LOL Funny thing, I lost a front wheel bearing in WV on the F250 the same trip.

It's part of the complete frame off rebuild process. Bugs have to be worked out. I know it's easy to say don't panic, but don't panic. LOL It's a domino effect. The boost effects EGT's which drive coolant temp. Fixing one will help the other. TT's do bully the truck more than 5'ers, but it will improve with the sway control and once the steering is sorted.

Hang in there. Wish you were just down the road. I'd be over there tonight with tools and some cold ones to help ya out man.

Heath

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I ran out and put a Teflon washer on the intake hat. It was really oily. Fine film all over the top of the hat. Fingers crossed that's where my boost was going and this fixed it.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to reiterate an earlier post about your steering. Have you checked the alignment? That could cause it to wander, not return to center, and could give you fits with sway towing.
and Heath is right on. When they come back on the road after this much work there are always bugs to work out. It will be great once its dialed in.