Project Big Red

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan clutch is coming tomorrow.

I put the Redhead box back in. It behaves pretty much the same. But I can hold it straight going down the road now.

I took a video of the engine sound. I posted another thread. Take a listen and tell me what you hear.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Really hard to tell on Video but I swear I hear air leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike,

I'm with Jarred and Elijah..... engine sounds good.

I do think you may be on to something with the timing..... to me the "diesel knock" seems a bit quiet.... don't know what my 7.3 is set to, but it has a bit more pronounced "hit" to the combustion sound. I guess more like the 7.3 PSD cackle everyone refers to. Or I could be completely off my rocker LOL.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well,that can be addressed anytime latter on anyway,so that's good.So long as she can be held in a straight line,you'll get to the rally.Any luck on finding the boost leak?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
13.5 degrees at 2000. That's a little much. I dumped some stanadyne performance in the tank. I knew instantly when it go to the pump. Much quieter.

As for the valve train noise I'm just not sure. At this point I think I'm driving it this weekend. I'll listen again after timing.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so what were you able to get it down to? I take it you got the timing probe to fit correctly. at that timing it would have been really loud.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah where did you end up on timing?

If it was me I'd drive it. Especially empty to get a feel for it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got it back down to 8.6. I actually had it down to 6.5 and brought it back. Turning the pump is no problem with my jack handle on my newly modified 3/4 wrench.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
13.6.... WOW!!!!

So st 13.6, were you putting the fuel in the cylindwhen the piston was half way down, on the way back up? Or were you injecting in the middle of the exhaust stroke????

I know, this is an extreme example.... but helps get the picture across.......

Glad you got it squared up.. and boosting again!!!!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw 10-11 psi but I didn't have to flog it to get there.

It was squirting fuel way before TDC. One side effect is it starts a little harder now even when warm. The other side effect is the color of the smoke changed. It's not really black so much as grey now. Don't know what that will mean but it is what it is for now. May need to adjust it a little bit more but it's a lot closer to something historically reasonable anyway.

So tonight pulled the bed. Fixed leaking rear fuel tank sender. Have use of both full tanks now. I discovered what the issue is with my senders. The issue is not that they aren't working but that they are out of calibration. When I unplug them they peg even farther past full. So that's something I'll have to address when I have the bed off to do the body work on it. The rear tank was reading a little above half when I had taken close to 12 gallon out of it. Should only have been about 4-5 left. Definitely not half full. It also makes sense now why the front has never really dropped. The most I've put in it was 6.5 gallon. If it's in a similar state, I'd have to use about 10-12 gallon to see it drop much. So basically I know that on the rear half is pretty much empty. On the front I suspect it will be the same. I'm not sure if I need to adjust the floats or if I got senders with the wrong range. I think I got 87 senders because that's what I could find at the time. I'm pretty sure Bill posted a long while back years and sender values. May need to add some resistance or subtract some to get them to read. If they are both the same I can do it either under the hood or under the dash.

But for now I'll just run with it. I'll keep one tank full just in case.

Bed went back on and I packed my spares kit. She's going on her first trip across the mountains tomorrow. If she won't do it empty I don't want any part of it loaded with camper.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good news. 10 lbs comes quick with my turbo, It's from there up that you really have to be in it to crank up the boost. But the more boost should keep the EGTs in check. If it runs warm I wouldn't hesitate to add some oil to the fan clutch. I was amazed how much it helps. I ran the truck good on some hills at highway speeds with a/c about 90* out and a steady 900* on the pyro and the coolant stays at 195*.