Project Big Red

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its a hole in the piston it should puff pretty bad up through the oil cap when you take it off.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
That is terrible to hear Mike, I am sorry.

Could one theory be that the glow plug got worn down broke off and caught in a valve?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. My guess is something north of the piston. You had it happening intermittently earlier, so it must be in valve train somewhere.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my initial report is #8 intake rocker bolt broke. I found the bolt in the top of the head. The valve appears to be in place. Spring seems to be in place.

So what do we think my chances are that the head and piston are okay?

I would think it should pretzel the push rod before that bolt would break under normal circumstances. To me it seems like that bolt almost had to have been defective.

I'd post pics but Photobucket is giving me the finger.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Should be ok. The intake valve would remain closed, so no contact with the piston.

The bolt was either defective or over torqued at some point. **** happens. At least no one died. :D

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, I hope there is no additional damage and that you can still make it to the rally if you want. You certainly deserve a break at this point. When I was torquing down the rocker arm bolts after I re-installed the heads last summer, I was on the last bolt on No. 1 and heard and felt a "crick"! Sure enough, the bolt broke and I was not even to torque yet. When I looked at the bolt, you could see it had a stress crack and torquing it down snapped it the rest of the way. So I pulled out the broken stub and torqued in a new bolt. So, after that experience, did I go back through and remove each and every rocker bolt again after I had them torqued down? Nope, ran it and everything has been fine. I guess crap can just happen, even though the odds of it happening are small. In my case though, I tightened the bolts down to torque spec., and had no issues with the others, so I had at least some confidence that the rest of the bolts were okay. By the way, if you need a genuine new Ford OEM rocker arm bolt, I have a couple in my spare parts inventory.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may go pull the other rocker so I can pull the pushrod and check it and see how bad it would be to get it out.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really hope everything works out. For having a dead cylinder this is like best case scenario

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So broken bolt was extracted with my fingers. Pushrod is bent and battered. Good news is there's no missing parts. So everything is accounted for nothing floating in the oil.

Notice the shims under rockers? Did that for valve clearance with the torque cam I guess??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online