Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....like idea of the control for exhaust brake...maybe have see hot it works...my exhaust brake at THIS point is non functioning...n Not in rush to mess with it.......yet LOL

Depending on how fancy you want to get, it should be really straight forward. I'll probably hardwire the button on the shifter and just use the automation for things like start up procedure. Maybe set it up like some of the other trucks do to close during warmup to warm up faster.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man was it hot today.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supposed to be worse tomorrow. I did get a little done.

Fittings came and I assembled this thing.

I made myself some heavy rubber caps for blocking off the return ends.

I also pulled the fan back off and put the fuel sticks in and buttoned the lines and clamps all back up.

Just need to install the return hoses. I'll probably be short so I'll have to come up with some hose for one of the long runs I'd imagine. No biggie though.

I'm beat. I hate work 5 minutes and towel off weather. Wife asked if I wanted AC for the garage I told her she better be careful making threats like that. [emoji15]

Hopefully the rain hits here about dusk tomorrow and I can pull a full second shift.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I just did plugs, wires, and intake gaskets in the pouring rain. It was cold. Lol
Bad enough to cause some crossed plug wires. Lol
I guess better than the normal 90°F with no breeze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Hey Mike, a couple of questions.
What dope are you using on the fuel fittings in your fuel return manifold?
and
What's the latest on the valve covers?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using a Teflon sealing paste on recommendation of the folks here. It's rated for basically everything. Messy but no Teflon tape strings. Got it at depot I think.

Once I get the return lines on I'll put the clean valve covers on. I have to clean up the load spreaders yet. They have been soaking in solvent for a few days. They are getting plated and I've been dragging because I wasn't wanting to deal with the plating this instant. It's enough of a hassle that I like to have several bits to do.

I feel you on the plug wires jasper. I did the woman's Oldsmobile in our apartment parking lot in the dark. Got a couple wires crossed. Ended up paying the stupid tax taking it to pep boys. Got charged an hour for the guy to hook it up and immediately swap the wires. [emoji849]

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the return lines on.

Turns out there was enough in the kit even for my goofy routing. I just need to grab a couple more clamps.

Here you can see my block off plug.

I would have taken a better pic close up but phone out of memory. Time to dump all the truck pics again.

That's it for today folks. 104 real temp in the garage and God knows what the heat index was. I had sweat dripping out of my shirt by the time I got those hoses on. Try again tomorrow.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it was a busy day. Here are the highlights.

Trans case dropped off to trans shop. Supposed to hear from them in a couple days.

Finished up the valve covers.

They look pretty good. I give the idea a 9.5. The execution 7.5. If they hold up maybe I'll do a different set.

I re-plated the turbo adapter and installed it for what i hope is the last time.

I re-clocked the turbo compressor side hardware to help clear the installation of the drain line. I went to install the turbo but the damn chain hoist is in the way. [emoji21]

Got to get the trans back. Got the crossmember cleaned up and primed. Started working on the tcase linkage. It's pretty rough. Trying to decide what to do there.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
@Agnem check out the pics post 1147 for some sweet nickle plated valve covers ( we were discussing at the rally. )

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. I hate to do this but in interest of full disclosure I must. I cheated. The valve covers have in fact been nickel plated. However; I actually painted over it because I couldn't quite get a finish I was happy with after several attempts. Little parts are not too bad to do but the valve covers and manifolds were tough. The manifolds are plated...no paint.

Hopefully I an be forgiven. This is the reason I gave myself a low execution score.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Still look amazing tho, hopefully the nickle base will extend the life of the cover coat. ;Sweet