Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That thread will get you started. The difference will be the chemical bath components and the anodes. The one big difference is you have to be careful what you use for wires in the bath. Copper contamination is an issue.

All the info on power supplies and general setup are identical.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a slack ass today. Only thing I got done was clean and get primer on my fan. It was fun seeing the look on the wife's face when I had it down in the tub scrubbing it. LOL

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed you mentioned having some trouble getting some parts clean in your blast cabinet. Yes some coatings are very difficult to remove, even in a blast cabinet. One little trick I've learned is hitting the trouble area quickly with a propane "plumbers" torch. Heat it just enough to compromise the paint, not red hot or anything close to that just enough to see the paint wrinkle, then your media blaster will completely remove it!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda did that on the last pully but chemically. I soaked it in paint stripper for a while then washed it off and blasted it. It was easier but still challenging. That's a good idea... I'll file that one away. ;Sweet

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the fan painted.

You must be registered for see images attach

I hunted out the core support bushings.

These are the energy suspension bushings which go together like this. It fits in the factory cups with the hex bit that held the bottom bushing.

It installs like this.

Theses are the bits from the original hardware that I zinc plated way back when.

The one washer is a duplicate of what came with the bushings. The other two washers I believe sandwich the shims. Anyway, I'll sort it out.

I think I've decided how I'm going to do my return lines. The result will be a manifold that bolts to the intake to anchor the metal return line with 4 hose barbs that will run from the left and right banks, the filter and pump. Hopefully that works out like I think.

I also picked up this little guy.

This little guy is less than $10. It has 5 analog inputs and several digital IO s. Will do PWM. I see lots of possibilities for this little guy from simple control circuits to smart switches to gauges... The only issue is it doesn't do direct serial output so displays are more complicated but still doable.

Trans case has shipped. Thanks @towcat

Fun times ahead. If things go well, injectors and returns tomorrow.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this sure is turning into one fine quality,full restoration.your gunna have this truck for life...shoot,your kid might too.keep up the good work.;Sweet

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fan installed.

Question: loctite on fan clutch yes or no?

Anyway, manifold made.

Waiting for the other hose barb fittings. Essentially it's like the Old 6.9 style but slightly different. All the fuel returns come together at the manifold. I'll put a hard line across the top of the engine and a soft section for isolation to the hard line back to the tank. The holes in the fittings are fairly small so no concern to me that the 3/8" line won't give enough restriction.

That's it for tonight. Early morning.

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything is looking great. The Pro Trinket definitely has my attention. Looking forward to seeing how it is used on the truck.

I believe you said at the beginning of this build that you plan to implement modern creature comforts into the interior. I'm hoping to do the same with mine once I get into my build, so I'm really looking forward to what you have in store for the interior.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I'm a little disappointed that the hook on your engine crane isn't nickel plated LOL really distracts from the whole build. He he kidding of course, looking incredible as usual! ;Sweet

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little disappointed that the hook on your engine crane isn't nickel plated LOL really distracts from the whole build. He he kidding of course, looking incredible as usual! ;Sweet

Really.... Everyone's a comedian/critic.

I'm actually thinking about where to end this phase of the project. I'm not sure how deep I'm going to go into the niceties. I think that the first use for the trinket will be the exhaust brake control. I'm going to keep it simple but I'd like to set it up so that it will cycle a couple times on startup to keep it from carboning up. I want to make sure it waits for the air pressure. I also don't want compressors and stuff running while its trying to start so a wait to start cycle would be really useful for several things. I would bet the PWM could be used to drive generic gauges or who knows. Temp sensors for a variety of things. The thing that has kept me from data logging everything on the truck is finding reasonably priced sensors especially pressure. Oil temp kind of range sensors are pretty reasonable because they are just thermistors.

But I digress. I need a running driving truck. I can play with electronics while its cold.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really.... Everyone's a comedian/critic.

I'm actually thinking about where to end this phase of the project. I'm not sure how deep I'm going to go into the niceties. I think that the first use for the trinket will be the exhaust brake control. I'm going to keep it simple but I'd like to set it up so that it will cycle a couple times on startup to keep it from carboning up. I want to make sure it waits for the air pressure. I also don't want compressors and stuff running while its trying to start so a wait to start cycle would be really useful for several things. I would bet the PWM could be used to drive generic gauges or who knows. Temp sensors for a variety of things. The thing that has kept me from data logging everything on the truck is finding reasonably priced sensors especially pressure. Oil temp kind of range sensors are pretty reasonable because they are just thermistors.

But I digress. I need a running driving truck. I can play with electronics while its cold.

Hmmm....like idea of the control for exhaust brake...maybe have see hot it works...my exhaust brake at THIS point is non functioning...n Not in rush to mess with it.......yet LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle