Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the way I figure it. If the paint gets nicked hopefully it won't rust through.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Haha, and to be clear, I was the one that kept talking about your nickle plated covers. You just said they were finished. Haha hysterical..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
something I will be doing on the next engine.
my powder coater started jacking his pricing up on me.
and with my savings depleted I can no longer afford to go to him.

so my next covers I will be painting, and then clearing... like a base/clear paint job.
I did my shifter this way in the 6 door and it turned out pretty good for the cheap rattle can clear.

may have to do a step by step 101 when I do it.

but no matter how you got the VC's done, they are done and look amazing.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I am finding is that my nickel is coming out a little more porous than I'd like. My AC bracket has a couple spots on it from me sweating on it. Hence like I told Al why I've held off on a tech 101. This is the problem with trying to figure stuff out on the fly. You just end up redoing stuff over and over.

I am definitely in get it done mode now.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
something I will be doing on the next engine.
my powder coater started jacking his pricing up on me.
and with my savings depleted I can no longer afford to go to him.

so my next covers I will be painting, and then clearing... like a base/clear paint job.
I did my shifter this way in the 6 door and it turned out pretty good for the cheap rattle can clear.

may have to do a step by step 101 when I do it.

but no matter how you got the VC's done, they are done and look amazing.

If you need something powder coated, let me know. I have the equipment, and it's pretty easy to do. Depending on the size I may need to get a bigger oven though, but I've been looking for a reason to get one.

Also, engine looks really awesome laserjock.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

So got a few things done today.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dipstick tube installed with new adapter. I'll have to paint that handle. [emoji15]

Valve covers cinched down with new hardware.

Gratuitous valve cover pic. What can I say, I've been wanting see them installed for over a year.

Return fuel line to go across the engine.

Cut the other side to length and beaded the tube. It's ready for fuel hose connection.

I'll connect and tweak once I get the trans in.

I installed the fuel filter indicator do-dad. I also plumbed for the liquid filled gauge I ordered.

Can't decide if I should wait to install the turbo and plumb it or chance it. I'll have to find a way to support the engine that doesn't interfere.

Need to bead the intake hat and I think I'll plate it. I may paint it an accent color. Haven't decided.

Lots of other odds and ends.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you need something powder coated, let me know. I have the equipment, and it's pretty easy to do. Depending on the size I may need to get a bigger oven though, but I've been looking for a reason to get one.

Also, engine looks really awesome laserjock.

I greatly appreciate the offer, but shipping it across the country twice isn't cost effective!

mbarry98

Reaction score
You may have already covered this but I see you are going to relieve the crankcase pressure from the front of the injection pump gear housing, are you making a custom intake with the cdr mounted to it and if so what type of hose are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what's the paint color name that you used instead of plating the VCs. And I'm with the other guys--they look great no matter how you got them that way.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually Rustoleum Universal Coating satin nickel. Like I said, there is nickel under the paint. If you look close at the pulleys, I did only really painted the faces and if I hadn't told you and you didn't look real close, you wouldn't know. I have no idea how durable it will be. I probably should have cleared them but I'll leave that for version 2.0.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may have already covered this but I see you are going to relieve the crankcase pressure from the front of the injection pump gear housing, are you making a custom intake with the cdr mounted to it and if so what type of hose are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. I modified an oil catch can to be the CDR mount. The air intake will have a nipple on it to accept the hose. As for the type of hose, that's an excellent question that I haven't answered yet. I have the moulded Banks hose, but I doubt I can make that work readily. I think it's 1" hose that looks like radiator hose that's been moulded. Not sure what I'll end up using or if the catch can will work. Stay tuned.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Valve covers cinched down with new hardware.

Gratuitous valve cover pic. What can I say, I've been wanting see them installed for over a year.

Laser,

Love the work so far and the valve covers...... reminds me of the ones that have International stamped in them.......

I know you have mentioned possibly needing to redo the valve covers. If so I hope you keep the stenciling. A variation on the script logo that has stuck with me since I was a kid was this one:

There is something about the "N"'s being backward to make them a single "drawn" line........

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see it finished!!!! Glad to see another one be saved, instead being scrapped because "it's old and rusty".....

Now, if we could just figure out how to get all those shiny trucks out here (and not cost and arm and a leg) that Cal and Brian can find for a dime a dozen....... I remember bullnose trucks in the late 80's in Illinois that were not as clean as the one Brian just brought home......

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is actually a replica of those valve covers. Originally I was going to make a set of steel vcs by combining the IDI with an old IH but they were pricy and I was dubious on my metal skills to do it justice.

So tonight I figured out how to get the hoist out of the way enough to mount the turbo. I fought with the oil drain, assembled it every way I could think of and I couldn't get it together. I took a step back and thought, if I can't do this with no front clip, I'd be hosed trying to do this with the truck together. So I'm back to square 1 on the oil drain. I think it's going to have to be a hybrid hard and soft lines so I can mate it in the middle rather than at the ends. I ordered some stuff. Hope I can make something out of it.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's looking awesome. I love the script idea on the valve covers. Looks really cool. I have a 350 SBC in my 49 international pickup and plan to do something similar. I really like the zinc looking valve covers. Understated in an awesome way!

-Jeremy