Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random tidbit.

Banks CDr relocate adapter. I wondered why it didn't have an oring groove in it. The gear housing does, why can't it?

You must be registered for see images attach

It can. Incidentally that's the size oring for the lemon cover. -144

I'll blast it clean and it will be ready to install.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been a disappointing weekend. You can catch up here.

I cannot catch a break
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77688

The long and short of it is, instead of mating the engine and trans, I ripped out the crossmember, and pulled the tranny. Separated the Tcase to get a good look at things. I'm still mulling over what to do on this one. I've put some feelers out but I'm trying to decide if it's a fix this case, swap back half or new/old transmission. I'm not sure I have the testicular fortitude to change out the housing myself as there is bearing preload and shimming involved there. I have skimmed the service manual but I think it's a complete tear down to make that happen because of the way they set the bearing preloads. It's just assemble dry, measure end play and add shim + X amount to set the preload.

Anyway, still exploring all options including just bolting the damn thing back in and saying f- it.

I did get the engine in but it was kinda anticlimactic.

I also realized I had another problem.

***. That's the same puddle of brake fluid that started this mess. Damn coupling fitting was leaking. Snugged it up. Hopefully that takes care of it. The lines on the RABS were weeping so I tightened them up too. Pulled out the line wrenches to be on the safe side.

So that's where things are at boys and girls. I can still keep going on stuff while I figure this transmission thing out but it was almost 100 here today. Fat boy don't sweat in the garage at that temp. LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I I'm working on a plan to deal with the transmission. I wavered between slap it in there or make a mount or find a used unit. I think my strategy is going to be replace the tail housing. The only question is will I do it or let someone do it. It's only a question in my mind really because of what's actually involved in setting the bearing preloads. It's essentially a complete tear down because the preload shins are in the front case half. I've devised a plan to check preload with a new case half, but if the shims that are in there are wrong, it's nearly a complete tear down to change them. Then while-you-are -in -their-itis sets in. It's a nearly 30 year old unit, shouldn't it be freshened up? It's apart already. Why not put new parts in???

So anyway, I'm not sure where my line in the sand is but getting a complete core together, seems like a good idea. Weather I put it together or have it done will be a game time decision.

While that's on the back burner, couple things came in.

Got my banjo bolt adapters for the turbo water lines. They look good. I think they will work fine.

Hydroboost pressure hoses came in.

Electric vacuum pump came in along with the connector.

I can make up the harness now for it.

Also picked up this guy for the 3G alternator.

Plug and play. Makes the alternator basically 1 wire hookup. I had picked up a bare connector but I couldn't find the plug for the white wire. So for $15 this is a no brainer.

So I'm looking for some other connectors but I'm ready now to finish the engine plumbing and wire harnesses then I can go ahead and start painting and hanging panels and make the battery tray. Got to roll!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, mainly I've done a bunch of wiring.

I have wire run to all the sensors. Have to cut in for the oil pressure senders once the turbo is back on.

The gps will be on the Anderson connector. Controller will be on the fender with the other new electrical stuff. The sensors and the pretty much everything else are on the 10 pin connector. I'll run a separate line for the AC and tach sensor.

I mounted and started plumbing the coolant manifold. It's ready for hoses and clamps. Hose from WP to manifold is in place.

I filled the oil filter and spun it on. Geeze that thing takes a bunch of oil.

I think I got the brake fluid leaks stopped. Either that or it ran dry. LOL

Bolted the power steering pump inner bracket. Just odds and ends.

Heading to the air and space museum tomorrow at Dulles with some local OBers. Should be a good time.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a great time at the air and space museum. If you are ever I. The DC/northern VA area, I highly recommend it. Tons of history and just really cool stuff.

Shuttle Discovery

And who doesn't love an SR71 Blackbird?? I believe it still holds several speed records.

It spewed fuel until it got up to speed and the joints tightened up from pressure and heat. LOL

Okay, back to truck stuff.

Came home and did some sand blasting. Got the PS and AC brackets all blasted. Also got the banks CDr relocate dodad cleaned up.

Need some bolts.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started off with a little bling.

This damn truck has me so broke I had to resort to the Washington test rather than the Benjamin test. Looks pretty good. @IDIoit

Had to shorten the bolts. For reference you need about 2.25". 2.5" bottomed out before tightening up. Wanted socket head cap screws but these will do.

I located a few bits and bolted on the PS pump. Got a big order at Rock auto to turn loose tomorrow. Belts, transmission mount. Odds and ends.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, grand total for tonight was 1.5 hrs of sandblasting. In the end, water pump pulley 1, me 0. I have no idea what they put on those damn things but it's tough.

Got the WIF sensor. Thank you Rob! Scored a transmission tail section from towcat. Found a transmission shop finally to the work. So that's percolating. Got my belts and such. Got the high pressure hoses for the PS and hydroboost. Ordered the wix version of the magnefine filter. I'd really like to have engine plumbing tied up by the end of the weekend.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it don't look like much but here's a bunch of hours.

We have belt drive.

I went with the short belt for the alternator. I think it will be dandy especially since there will be two belts driving the water pump pulley. Took a little fighting to get the PS pulley pressed on but it finally came to my way of thinking.

Got the WIF sensor installed with a fresh o-ring.

Installed the plug in the filter head deleting the heater for good.

Pulled the trans crossmember bits out and started cleaning them up a little for good measure. I also pulled the fan off the shelf and removed the fan from the clutch. I'll give it a little primer and paint tomorrow.

I think the clutch is good. It's plenty stiff. Washed and cleaned it up a bit too.

Think I'll go ahead and put the injectors and returns on. Need some Vaseline. I also need to figure out my routing. I also should get my filter tomorrow so I can go pick up some hose and put the power steering system together.

Transmission situation is on its way to a resolution so we shall see soon. I'd really like to hang the front clip this week. Might be coming down with something... Could take me several days to recover. [emoji6]

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Looking good Mike! Keep that fan clutch in mind if you run into cooling issues while hauling a heavy load. I had one that I would have bet money was good, but ended up being a dud. Hopefully yours is solid.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it will be the first suspect because everything else is new. LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Nice progress, it's looking real good with front of the engine coming together!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sharp rig there for sure. Wowzers.

Still want know how to plate....hint **** hint...nudge nudge wink wink ....tech 101