Project Big Red

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trust me, I don't need that kind of hell making a mess. I'm quite proficient with stock hardware.

I spent the evening welding up my turbo inlet adapter. Then grinding it down because that's how I role. No pics. It's not perfect but it's not bad. I think I'll lay in a piece top and bottom to reinforce it and call it a day.

I'm starting to get my stuff sorted for cleaning and refinishing. Walked around sticking a magnet to stuff trying to figure out what gets plated and what gets cleaned and painted. I spent some time messing with a soda blaster my buddy gave me. Not sure if it's the answer for the engine parts or not.

What do you guys who have done rebuilds do to clean up your engine parts?

Not sure what u mean...but usually most machine shops will hot tank or washtank yer parts for a fee...DONT LET EM PULL CORE PLUGS!!!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Not the block. I'm ordering a long block from promar. It's all the stuff that goes on it that need attention. I'm not putting dirty greasy stuff on a clean engine.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Not the block. I'm ordering a long block from promar. It's all the stuff that goes on it that need attention. I'm not putting dirty greasy stuff on a clean engine.

Either car wash...solvent tank...or machine shop....see other thread re cleaning wheel bearings...

I use preassure washer here and solvent tank and wire brush...sandblaster etc

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you'll be looking for a new oil pan, Dorman still offers them. If you're having heads done local, ask them to hot tank any greasy parts. Dry parts like brackets on engine front, I use blast cabinet with "black beauty" coal lag then powder coat. Powder coat has held up very good after six months driving even the tail pipe I had done looks good as new! I've also had valve covers and oil pans powder coated on other projects with zero failures. I did the battery boxes and hood hinges as well on this truck. Lookin Good! You're getting closer to the fun part!!!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last turbo bracket fabbed. I'll bring it to length and round the corners. Then it will all get nickel plating.

You must be registered for see images attach

Got my lemon cover and pulley from IDIoit. Thank you!

Trying to decide on valve springs. I'm leaning toward comp 910s as an upgrade. Need to answer that and finish tear down and prep then put my order in I think. Target for ordering is first week of May. Let's see if I can hold to that.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it don't look like much but I've been busy most of the day.

I pulled the pulls off the ps pump I'm using. Here it is next to the one I removed from the truck.

Notice there is an extra 1/2" or so there where my finger is pointing? That's where the custom spacer (nut) was on the other one.

So I got a tub of diesel on the table to degrease stuff. It works okay. I gave the ps a quick brush off with fuel and it looked good. I was going to give it some fresh paint so I hit it with a spritz of brake clean. Bad idea.

Blew the paint right off. So I stripped it and will paint it now.

Box of degreased parts. Ready for some soapy water and blasting.

AC compressor and bracket. I pulled the bracket off and scrubbed the compressor down. It looks okay. Not going to much trouble on it until I'm sure it works. System had pressure but it wasn't hooked up so I don't know if it works.

Tore the fuel filter head down to delete the heater and clean it all up.

Pulled the center section. Heater pops right out.

No wonder this thing leaks.

And top view for reference.

Water pump bolts laid out.

Thermostat water neck with check ball.

Non motorcraft thermostat.

Water inlet.

IP and lines.

Gear cover and gear are in the solvent.

Rolling along pretty good then found this.

Damn. It gets better.

So now I have one broken ear on each exhaust manifold. These things are thinner than I thought. What really ****** me off is I spent all this time getting the turbo to fit the banks and stock plumbing. If I had known both manifolds were bad, I probably would have done things differently. [emoji20]

I pulled the oil cooler off and it looks okay through the muck. I'll clean it up and see but I've got a spare set of headers.

Continued.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I also pulled the harmonic balancer.

So lots of tear down. Some surprises. Should be able to finish up the tear down tomorrow I hope.

I need to find either a gpc relocation bracket or find a dipstick bracket to modify.

Progress is progress I guess.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn...sad looking mannifolds...craptastic..

Well rest looks great..camt wait see the thing all shiney n fresh...

I took a grinder w flap wheel remove casting seams on ome set manifilds and deburr them...turning out ok...will look at a couple holes for pyro probes 1 for each side...then ceramic coat manifolds kminous black... LOL

Thanks for sharing the picz...love watching the build.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I really enjoy checking out your build every day Mike. Thanks for taking the time to document everything so well.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel filter heater delete completed all but a plug.

Soda blaster did a decent job. I more or less just cleaned the little bit of paint off of it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel filter heater delete completed all but a plug.

Soda blaster did a decent job. I more or less just cleaned the little bit of paint off of it.

Hmmmi see ***** mittens

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flash backs from an uncomfortable meeting Al?

I had just fished the brass do-dad out of the really nasty tub of diesel and shmeg I believe you Canucks call it? [emoji6]

Gear tower cleaned up. Soda blaster again.

Shot or acid etch primer. I think it's going to be black. I thought about leaving it natural but the casting is rough and I ain't taking the time to smooth it out. Besides, I have a polished stainless lemon cover so a little black should set it off.

AC compressor got a rattle can rebuild.

I don't know if it's any good or not. Had pressure when pulled but no belt so I don't know if it's crap. Figure, I'll hedge my bets in case it is good.

Also cleaned up the balancer. It has a pretty good groove on it so I figure I'll be looking for a speedy sleeve for it. I hit it with primer too. Also primed the ps pump. Figure I'll mix a little paint in the detail gun once I have a few things together and ready.

And here's how she sets.

I found new motor mounts. Get them on order tomorrow. Trying to decide what to do about manifolds, oil pan etc tomorrow. All available new but not super cheap. May shop used first. [emoji6]

Need to pull the front cover and then it's injectors, valve covers and oil pan. Motor mounts off and I think I'm stripped down. Need to make a fastener list. Think I'll just change them out for the most part. They generally look like common stuff.

Getting close. [emoji15]

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Grab a battery and engage the clutch. I'd imagine that it could be turned by hand since it's not currently under pressure. That'll tell you if it's seized up or not.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It turns so it's not seized so odds may be a little better than 50%. Not with my luck though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online