Project Big Red

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Nice, I believe i have a spare set of manifolds around. I can check if you want. They are yours for shipping if I have them.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, I believe i have a spare set of manifolds around. I can check if you want. They are yours for shipping if I have them.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Sent you a pm. I know a lot of people myself included don't check them regular.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I pulled the front cover and oil pan. Can someone confirm if this is the desirable cam gear.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'll have to see if I can find the thread because I can't remember. I'm not sure if my oil pan is trashed or not. There are threads in it but I don't have anything to try in it. M14 X 1.25 seems to be what is called out. If someone can confirm that I would appreciate it.

I pulled the intake. Vacuumed off a few pounds of sand and rock. Found the valley pan drain bolt. For guys wondering what that looks like here you go.

I tried 3/8 hex. It was sloppy but the hex looks pretty bad. I tapped a 10 mm plug Allen into it and popped it out.

So pulled the valley pan and fuel pump and that's where I stopped.

So that's where we are.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been slammed at work or it probably would have today. Still targeting first week of May. I'm on vacation second week so I'd like to be tying up getting everything clean and ready then.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The improved cam gear does not have threaded holes for a puller, and has a cast lug on the back to balance the fuel pump lobe.
One of my big pictures: Rt click on pic and select view image.

Attachments

• DSC00119.jpg
    DSC00119.jpg
    829.2 KB · Views: 95

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The improved cam gear does not have threaded holes for a puller, and has a cast lug on the back to balance the fuel pump lobe.
One of my big pictures: Rt click on pic and select view image.

Thanks Tom! Damn. Okay, I'll ship that cam gear off and roll the dice. Maybe I'll get a good one back.

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything to offer, but I enjoy following your build and seeing the progress. Keep it up!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How Greasy was the a/c compressor? If it wasn't a grease ball it's probably fine. If it was super greasy then the front seal might be out. The other output manifold gaskets are easy to change.

Looking good. Lots of time detailing all those accessories.

Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying not to go crazy detailing the bits. Just trying to get coatings on things to reassemble.

Compressor really wasn't greasy so I'm I little hopeful.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
So, is Promar going to rebuild this engine and send it back, or is this just the "core" for a completely different engine coming from Promar?

Or is this just a "going to keep all the best parts on the shelf and send them the "worst" on hand?"

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the generic core. I am sending them the typ 4 cam to install. If that had been a "good" gear, I would have sent it along with the cam and had them use it. They were being weird about the cam core last time I talked to them. They wanted the cam core and me to send the cam and I was like... uhhh.... don't think so....Finally got that straightened out. Need to get a revised quote to include the valve springs upgrade and decide if I'm letting them buy the studs and springs or if I am. Cheaper if I do but story I got previously was they wouldn't warranty those items or failures caused by those items so....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, cleaned up the oil pan and tried a plug that's supposed to fit. It doesn't. I think this pan has been repaired before. I've never seen anything quite like it but it doesn't look stock to me.

That's the inside.

Pulled the valve covers. Everything looks pretty clean.

Then I started cleaning the valve covers and found this.

I posted a thread to ask about it. It's the driver side valve cover.

So that's where I'm at. I actually ran into a guy at the parts store tonight who speaks my language. He drives a really nice 91 centurion. Cleanest one I've seen around here...and he stole it. [emoji21]. No miles on it. Didn't see snow until 2013 I think he said. Why can't deals like that ever fall into my lap.