Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it's been a while since I updated. Mainly I've been struggling with the turbo placement and the intake hat. So I ended up at my original mounting adapter didn't work. It was so bad I couldn't even mod the firewall sufficiently to make it work. So I scrapped that and started again. I made a different adapter using the t3 flanges and I get to this.

You must be registered for see images attach

The firewall probably wouldn't have to be cut. Some hammer work would probably get the job done but I'll use the cuts I already made and give myself ample room. That left the intake hat problem. It's pretty tight as you can see.

I had made this hat and it fit before I set the motor in the truck.

In the truck and after I remounted the turbo it was a no-go. I had resigned myself to cutting the intake down like Heath had and decided ***, I'll give it one more try.

So I made this one.

This is the low headroom version. [emoji6]

And it fits.

Had to remove the screen and use the 5/8" fastener rather than the regular hold down.

So okay. I bought mandrel bent U's in 2.25" and 2.5". After staring at it a while, I decided I don't think 2.5" will fit. So I went to cutting. This is what I came up with.

I think I have a solution. [emoji3]

Finally.....

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you already covered this... but why not pull the intake and have your new hat welded on (delete the hold down bolt) and then use the larger tube and weld it in as well? Without the center hold down bolt, it opens up a good bit of space to put what ever you want, tubing wise, on it.

Just a thought.

Progress is looking good!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point was to figure out if it can be done without modding the intake the standard hat that everyone uses to add an IC is the ats hat and the opening on it is only 2.25" so I don't think it's a real problem. I made the hat out of mild steel so welding it to the aluminum intake is not really an option. What we have here is an almost bolt on upgrade for guys with banks kits.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here was today's project.

It's not perfect but I think it will be serviceable. I have a little more cleaning up to do and I'll trim the pipe and bead it to keep the couplings on. That leaves me with the down pipe to sort. I have this banks down pipe.

It of course won't work as is and has to be modified. I'm wondering if I should just pick up a 3" down pipe and wedge it in there. It would sure breath better and the 3" is an upgrade for the ats guys so I ought to be able to make it fit with enough persuasion. That will be the last tough piece to deal with. I've got the water plumbing handled. I need to get the oil plumbing all sorted. Not sure what I'm going to do there yet but I'll come up with something if it is wrong.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here was today's project.

It's not perfect but I think it will be serviceable. I have a little more cleaning up to do and I'll trim the pipe and bead it to keep the couplings on. That leaves me with the down pipe to sort. I have this banks down pipe.

It of course won't work as is and has to be modified. I'm wondering if I should just pick up a 3" down pipe and wedge it in there. It would sure breath better and the 3" is an upgrade for the ats guys so I ought to be able to make it fit with enough persuasion. That will be the last tough piece to deal with. I've got the water plumbing handled. I need to get the oil plumbing all sorted. Not sure what I'm going to do there yet but I'll come up with something if it is wrong.

A grinder not a welder I see....know this technique well do I...learning welder not grinder slowly....takes quite a while to be welder...

Me ...just a man with machine that welds.....but boy cqn I grind like ****

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am definitely not a welder. But I am proficient at grinding. Not a master grinder yet but I've started the program.

Yep it feels real good to get this sorted. I just need to get the exhaust sorted and that will be the last major project...aside from paint. Most of it now SHOULD just be reassembly. Little bit of electrical but that's something that don't scare me too bad.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a ton of progress to report but a few odds and ends.
Installed the new redhead box. It is definitely tighter than either of the two other boxes I have.

Shiny.

Swapped the bolts from the parts truck as they were in much better condition.

Other things I've done today. Ordered 3" diamond eye psd down pipe to use to make my down pipe. Ordered the flange and clamp. I also picked up a 3" elbow. Hopefully that will be enough pieces parts to get the job done. I'll be lucky if that's not at least a 2 engine pull exercise.

Pulled the water pump and crank pulleys.

Checked to see if the high idle solenoid was good. It actually is. That was a surprise.

Got the exhaust brake down and measured it up. It has 4" flanges but they don't look exactly like v bands. They have a cup and cone to them like exhaust pipe I think. So need to do a little research there. I'll probably weld a flange on the bottom of the down pipe and hang the exhaust brake between there and the first factory hanger.

Just a bunch of little stuff.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and got the shocks to line up with the engine weight on it.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I wish I would have known. I have a diamond eye powerstroke down pipe collecting dust in my garage. It came with my 4" kit last year but I did not use that part.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind. It may take more than one try. [emoji15]

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I thought I had read that an exhaust brake is most likely too much for even a studded 7.3L IDI to put up with for very long?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online