Project Big Red

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you split the intake, itll give you loads of room.
mine should be done this weekend if i get a chance to get over there.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent a little time looking at the pics from Heath's install. He went with 3.5" of spacer and didn't have a hood clearance issue. I have found some t3 angled adapters. I wonder if that would do it. Turbo needs to be tipped back. Further forward hurts the cause. Hmm. Maybe.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. Gears are turning on the turbo mount situation. Couple options. Not sure what the right answer is yet. But I will soon.

In the mean time I got the studs out of the up pipe.

You must be registered for see images attach

Not as easy as I had hoped but it's all done.

I'm staring at the thing trying to decide how to do the bracing. Think I have it figured out. Just need to pick up some socket head cap screws.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider using stainless fasteners. I always replace rusted fasteners with stainless to avoid difficult removal in the future. ARP or fastenal should have what you need.
I used stainless "replacement" fasteners when changing the downpipe to 3".

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alrighty folks, update time.

I spun the fan clutch off with my spiffy new pneumatic fan clutch tool. Totally worth it.

I started in on the rear diff to button it up. Buffed the rusty spots on the ring gear. It looks pretty good. Cleaned up good. It's ready to be sealed up with the fresh gasket and the new aluminum cover.

I started cleaning up the axles to go back together and realized I don't have o-rings for the axles. Can't find the right thing so far local.

I've been working on getting the turbo mounting sorted. I think I have it figured out without having to mod the intake. Here are a few pics of it mocked up.

There is about a 1/4 between the hat and the inlet. I think I can gain a little more there. I'm going to make a custom adapter for the up pipe and my custom hat and I think it will be good. My measurements as best I can tell are favorable for hood clearance. If things go well, I'll set it in the frame and check all the clearances as best I can. I have flanges coming to build adapter once I'm sure it fits.

I also have been working on the pedestal braces.

It's all mocked up. I need to trim it down and round the corners but it fits. Need to recreate the other one which runs down to the top left bell housing bolt.

The Banks oil drain won't work as is so need to figure out what I'm doing there hence the other thread.

Hopefully I can run this all to ground and order a motor!!!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Nice progress, it looks like you have room to weld an intake pipe on the adapter.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Should be plenty of room. Pipe will be here Monday.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
very nice! as always thanks for documenting with pictures and commentary along the way. Great thread, great build.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's been a busy day. Got a lot done. Let's start with the positive.

Got the brakes sealed up and partially bled. Had leaks everywhere. Think it's all sealed up now.

Cleaned the rear wheel lugs up where they got painted. Put the wheels back on the rear.

Cleaned up the axle ends. Replaced the o-rings. After a lengthy search, Ace Hardware had them.

Based on help from you guys, not using these.

For what it's worth, they looked like they would have fit. They are metal gaskets.

Cleaned up and installed the aluminum cover.

I went with lock washers and socket head cap screws. I may swap out for flat washers or add them. Not sure yet. Rear axle is done all but fluid.

So I decided to swing the engine into the frame.

Note to self, remove the wiper motor next time. The load leveler runs into it.

Okay. Now the moment of truth.

And here is my mock up adapter.

And.....

Wait for it......

Here it comes.......

FAILURE!!!!!

[emoji20]

Damn turbo hits the fire wall. A Lot. We are not talking about beat the firewall with a hammer, it's cut a large section out and box it back in.

I'm not sure what to do now. It wouldn't be that hard to mod the firewall. Not sure what's easier. I can work sheet metal. Welding the Al intake is something I can't do myself.

Guess I'll sleep on it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id sleep on yer bed...the firewall n intake would be way to uncomfortable imho....just saying...may want reconsider yer sleeping arangements...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if I want my wife to get in it... Ever... [emoji6]

That is an interesting thought. I went and pulled up the build @IDIoit did where he put the psd in a guys 89. He had clearance problems in the same spot. It wouldn't be that hard to push that bit of cowl back. Hmm.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if I want my wife to get in it... Ever... [emoji6]

That is an interesting thought. I went and pulled up the build @IDIoit did where he put the psd in a guys 89. He had clearance problems in the same spot. It wouldn't be that hard to push that bit of cowl back. Hmm.

that cowl design is stupid stupid stupid.
altho it was never intended for a turbo.
looks like you have 4 options.
mod the firewall.
mod the intake.
run a stock style turbo
or run N/A

i would cut up the firewall.
seems to be the cheapest option

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member