Project Big Red

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is more addicting than the Jersey Shore!
Amazing work. I don't even have words.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just saying, from what I have seen that rear shackle bolt goes in the other direction (nut facing out). by cutting the extra thread off you solved the problem. not a big deal anyway.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I kinda figured it was supposed to but I was not disassembling the whole works to turn it around. Chock that one up to a rookie mistake.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I spent basically all day (well all garage day) working on the back half of the truck.

I filled the diff. Tipped it both ways refilling after. That was a fortune in gear oil. Sheesh.

Then I started at the back with the torque wrench started going over everything.

Hitch
Shackle bolts
Front hanger
Shocks

Carrier bearing mount needed lock nuts installed.

I hit the u bolts with the ratchet and drew them down even as I could using a tape measure to measure the bolt sticking out. I started with the torque wrench. Took them to 110. Book calls for 150-210 on f350, 75-100 on f250. They are 9/16 ish u bolts but it was a struggle to get to 110. It just felt funny. It's probably just compressing the springs. I'll go over them again after I drive it and make sure it tracks straight. The axle won't fall off suffice it to say.

I started poking around and I found a spot I'm going to have to address in the paint but I'm not going to show you where in case I don't get to it. LOL

I popped the hood as I was making a shopping list and I discovered I have at least one clearance problem.

You must be registered for see images attach

The oil line is touching the hood so I need to figure out a different way to tap in for the senders.

Today will be more of the same probably. I'll likely tackle the front axle. Got to decide what I'm doing for a cover so I can seal it up and fill it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So not much has happened this week. It's been rough. I ordered my boost gauge. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do for gauge mounting. I had intentions of a row across the top of the dash all in a pretty custom pod, but I just don't think I've got that in me right now. My overhead console is still on the list and it has 3 spots or maybe just two. Hmm. No 3.

4 switch positions as is. One will be for high idle.

So I just ordered one of these.

http://www.otrattw.net/CONTURA-V-ENGINE-HIGH-IDLE-LOWER-LED-INDEPENDENT-V1D1JWWB-PZC9E-5HI.html

Ordered this one. They are proud of them. Not sure what else is going to go there but I'm pulling wire for later expansion. Probably put all the electrical gauges there (bolt, water temp, oil press) and the not so electrical (boost pyro maybe exhaust pressure) in a pilar pod. I hate pilar pods but it's a practically ready made solution and not yet another project.

Anyone suggest a good spring clamp? Need to replace at least 1 on the front.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
You didnt ask this, but your plan to put boost next to pyro is a good one! I set mine up with boost and pyro on opposite corners of the cluster and I hate it. It seems like I always want to see both of those at the same time, and I cant.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that makes sense but for me it was more practicality than anything else. Running tubing through the ceiling just seemed like asking for trouble.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Well that makes sense but for me it was more practicality than anything else. Running tubing through the ceiling just seemed like asking for trouble.
I was overthinking things. I put the things I'm most worried about in a column on the left, oil pres, coolant temp, pyro. Not a bad strategy, but I dont ever need to see oil pressure and coolant temp at the same time. One day, ok prolly never, I'll swap my boost and oil pressure gauges.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a wine colored speedo gear in my crewcab now. It reads 3mph fast. So 45 reads 48. I ran a yellow gear for years.

You're running factory tires also?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There about. They are real close in diameter. I may end up changing tires and wheels.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I woulda payed attention to the overhead storage thing earlier, I woulda chimed in, but your rig is painted now, which makes it a mute/moot point.

as far as which gauges should go where....
this is how it SHOULD be done...
;)
items like boost, fuel, amp, are bonuses and should be clear from obstruction lol
ok maybe trans temp should be centralized for the women LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online