Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the day began with giving the driver inner fender a bath.

You must be registered for see images attach

While it was drying, I climbed under the truck and tightened up the carrier bearing. Pics of the finished product.

Needs a lick of paint on the burnt spots but other than that put a done sticker on it.

I chased the holes in the front yoke which is apparently a Dudge part. Bolts thread in nice. Good to go.

Bolted the tcase gate in. Yes I frigged up and forgot it in the linkage. All better now.

Hit the bracket on the inner fender with wire wheel and a lick of paint.

Hung it in place loosely then I hung the fender. Nothing left to do but hang the hood right??

The hood hoist is a life saver.

I think I had that moment tonight when I realized. Holy $h!t. I think it's actually going to happen. I haven't really aligned anything yet because you really need the cowl to do it right as I figured out before and it's not painted yet. The really big deal besides progress on the project is the garage space reclaimed. Given the alleged snow storm coming through here, it will be nice to get the cars in the garage.

Still lots to do but I'm finally starting to finish things as I go and that's nice.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you figure out the best way to insure this full resto, so your not going to be a nervous wreck driving it?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a fabulous question. I wish I had a fabulous answer. I have casually looked at a couple options but I need to have a serious go at it soon. It's never been registered here yet so I hadn't insured it but the time is fast approaching.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I wouldn't drive it in fear. I'd get good insurance, from a good company with an actual agent that you can actually have a conversation with. If the bad thing happens, then just be sure you are able to buy it back. It would suck, but there are very few misshapes that would require even 1/10th of the work that you have put into it. And now you know how to do it all.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not good enough.He needs to find a policy that will cover this truck for a set value.No other policy will suffice for this one.With a normal policy he would be lucky to see 10% of his money back even if he kept the truck for parts after major fire or collision and then there's theft where he might see 5% back of what he invested because there would be no buy back option.Way too much time and money invested in this one to insure it any other way.

I use hagerty for the t-bird at a set value.I recall others on FTE saying they had to use other co's because hagerty didn't cover these era trucks.Not old enough/they know they are used differently/more often etc.to cover them like your typical classic/collector vehicle.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess at the end of the day it comes down to price. If a reasonable agreed value policy ends up costing me an exorbitant amount of money, I can't afford to drive it anyway. By the same token, I know a standard policy from the gecko is nearly useless. There has to be a middle ground somewhere. I have an agent I can talk to that I used to use. He might be able to point me in the right direction. Has anyone looked into umbrella policies? I know they cover a lot more but I don't know if "classic" automobile falls under property loss. Probably not.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't disagree with you more Mike.You can't afford to keep it in storage or drive it without a set value.If (always plan on "when") she burns to the ground,gets stolen,or near completely demolished,you'll lose your ass.I dunno how much you have in this but it's obviously a very,very large amount of money.You don't have any choice but to protect it at this point.
Check your PM's.I got some info for ya.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So tonight I did a couple things. I crimped the bands on the front driveshaft boot and installed it. Then I changed the speedo gear from yellow to wine. That's what the calculator said to do. We will see.

I'd put pictures up but Photobucket is currently giving me the finger.

Okay. Pics.

Driveshaft with boot clamps installed.

4.10 speedo gear.

3.55 speedo gear (I hope).

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike, when I did the full restoration on the F250 (more than a decade ago now), I didn't go with a regular policy. Like stated above, I had the truck appraised and insured for an agreed value. Not what an '86 F250 was worth. It's honestly worthless on any standard insurance policy. With the agreed value policy, it's worth what it appraised for. The make, model, and year are not in the equation at that point. If it's insured as just a '91 F250, a simple fender bender will total the rig.

It's certainly more work than getting an average policy, but worth it when you've done a frame off restoration.

Heath

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Heath, I did some checking and it looks like I have options. Now the real question is how much to actually insure it for. I really don't have a good way to come up with a reasonable number. I know what I have in it, but I question if it's worth insuring for that much. It's all a numbers game.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight's efforts.

Correct front spring hanger bolts torqued up.

Spring shackle in rear torqued up.

Hmmm. That could be a problem when I put a load on it.

That's better.

Worked on tidying up the rear end. Ebrake cable routed. Little more to do there but I need to put some fresh split loom on the speed sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online