Performance engine parts

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Depending...I think its safer to have studs and boost 10-15psi. The turbo's in the kits start superheating the air around 12psi, so anything past that is not going to get you any gains. You can run more and see more gains if you have a intercooler, but its a good idea to upgrade. Russ has put on 60-1 wheels on them, and his boosts 13psi with his intercooler.

If you want to run more boost, then you have to start looking into other turbo's. OBS PSD turbo's would boost decent, as do DT466 turbo's from what I hear.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now another thing, could you up the turbo inlet diameter and keep the boost the same or lower and net some gains?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
On which side of the turbo? If you look at PSD turbo's they are roughly the same between OBS and the Superduty (99-03). The difference is the SD turbo is wastegated, and has a exhaust housing with a A/R of .84. The OBS turbo is non wastegated and has an exhaust housing size of A/R 1.10. That means the superduty will boost faster, as the exhaust housing is smaller. But it means that EGT's will be higher as its smaller, and top boost will not be as good.

I actually think it would be a good idea to run a SD turbo, its wastegated, has a semi-small exhuast housing so it should spool it rather quick. But I dont know how they mount.

What I want to know is what kind of turbo's will bolt up to the flange on the ATS kits? Is it a T4 flang, or a T3 flange? If so, any bigger turbo's we can put on there? Thats a Russ question LOL

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
As for GM being much better for performance, I don't know. Heath Diesel has to fill the blocks with Hard-blok just so they can hold up to 300 hp, GM blocks may be lighter, but they are still more based off of a gas platform, and just can't hold up. I am still in firm belief that the right amount of tuning and combination of parts can make a reliable engine with around 300 AT THE CRANK. The factory engine was putting out around 185, and with tuning and exhaust can put out around 200 without a turbo, and a turbo adds 50 horsepower or so, and that's only at the lower boost levels.

The only advantage that the Gm has is its broader hp and torque band. That's why it's easier to get power out of it, it can rev out further without falling down. When the 6.9/7.3 is cammed to do the same thing, it'll make more power than the GM.
300hp is just the starting point, there's a lot more left on the table, and it's just a matter of R&D.

And PD, no need to shout, we are going to be ok.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I was getting at, is what if you upsized the turbo, and just put an external wastegate, not if you upsized the housing on a psd turbo, but if you got a whole new turbo alltogether. It might spool up slower, but that wastegate'll help it till it gets the boost up.

Now, what's the difference between a T4 flange and a T3 flange? Can't you just make a different bracket and work from there?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
No, even with a wastegate a bigger turbo will spool slower than a smaller turbo...I would think at least.

Its just a different mounting style. I wanted to know because I would rather be able to drop a different turbo in place of mine, than have to fab up another mount. Bolt in is better than fab in my eyes.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a valid point there. I would think a superduty turbo'd have the same mounting point as a first gen 7.3 powerstroke, but we still don't know how they're mounted. To me, the mounting doesn't matter because I'm going to end up building my own kit anyways, from bits and pieces, unless something good comes up.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The waste gate will not help any turbo spool up faster and then boost more. What your thinking of is a variable geometry turbo like the 6.7L Cummins has. I think a DT466 turbo would be a good starting point, should be able to boost i think around 20 with out super heating the air.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the wastegate almost took away from the turbo till it built up boost, and when boost gets past a certain amount it cuts it off, I know the variable geometry has changing vanes to aid it in spooling up quicker, but I must have been mistaken how the wastegate worked in some respect. :dunno Yeah, a 466 international turbo would be a great starting point, seeing as I've got a couple from combines and semis lying around ;Sweet

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those prices on hypermax really aint too bad...but if you think of it what ever you rebuild brand new thats one less you have too worry about and just take care of it and you wont :kick:... im fixing too overhaul my intire truck inside and out she has 258,857 miles and she been to hell and back aleast 5 times but i always maintenance and kept up with her and shes been good....... ill keep oilburners in touch about how the build go`s but first i have to fix the trans to get it to a shop 100 miles away but good luck to you man;Sweet

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I say those turbos are lying around, the combines or semis have blown motors, or the hydrostat on the combines has blown out, or whatever, and the turbos are in great shape. They have a MEAN whistle to them, just right off of idle. The combine always did run like a hoss, till the hydro went out. We started it up one day, by shorting across the starter, then we tried to kill it, but the switches were bad, and we did every thing we could to try and stop that motor, (block off the intake, choke it back, flood it, put it in gear, whatever) and it just wouldn't die. Finally we had to just let it sit there and run out of fuel...

sootman73

Reaction score
okay listen up. i assume that the ats flange is a T3(like the factory kits) GM also uses a T3 flange on its turbos. GM put three different turbos on their motors depending on the year of production:

GM-3
GM-5
GM-8

the GM-5 i have personal experience with. it will boost 18 pounds easy and still be in its efficiency range. my friend has hit 18 with his(accidentally because it spools really fast even on his 6.5l) his max temp at 15 lbs is 900 degrees(exhaust)

the only thing is the oil lines would have to be adapted maybe. plus its a bit bigger so it might fit even tighter near to the body but a little body lift would fix that.

does any one have any info on the GM-8? i guess the GM-3 is very similar to the turbos in our kits even with the difference in engine size.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I was going to put a wastegated psd turbo on my truck, then i sold the truck and the turbo and bought another idi, when i get all the bugs worked out of this one im going to buy a non wastegated psd turbo and upgrade the exaust side housing with a fast spool 1.00 housing, then im going to run daul up pipes like its supose to have, and make them as short and straight as possible, and rap all the hot side exaust in a double layer of header rap and soak it in ceramic high heat paint, with that and max the ip out i should be able to lift the heads hopefully;Really

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online