Thoughts on Performance upgrades/direction/Cummins?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Any diesel adventure can turn into a money pit if unprepared.

The way to go is the $500-1500 Cummins-donor trucks I've picked up over the last 10 years.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation. I originally wanted to do a 4x4 cummins in my 68 bumpside but got scared away by the amount of money people wanted and time it was going to take to make it work good and look good. Everyone close to me wanted 4-5k for a 12v and transmission (NV4500) and they were usually abandoned projects in pieces with unknown mileage that they didn't have the time for. I eventually just went with the IDI because the frames are the same on my trucks so it's pretty much a bolt in drivetrain and all those nickle and dime parts are already on the donor truck. Another reason was I used to own an 84 IDI and I absolutely loved that truck with a banks turbo with t19

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Any diesel adventure can turn into a money pit if unprepared.

The way to go is the $500-1500 Cummins-donor trucks I've picked up over the last 10 years.
Those don't exist here on the west coast. Everyone wants top dollar for absolute piles with high miles.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think that a Cummins swap is the LS swap of the diesel world. "Everyone" wants to do one. Unless you NEED pretty crazy power, I don't see a point in a Cummins swap. A good intercooler, pump, injectors, turbo, and the supporting parts is all that 95%+ of us really need. With the cost that people want for a Cummins engine or even a junk parts donor truck, most of the parts for an IDI still will be the same or less. Plus you don't have all of the work to make a completely different engine work.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
This. I can sleep peacefully now.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Those don't exist here on the west coast. Everyone wants top dollar for absolute piles with high miles.
I am on the west coast.

Piles are fine for donors. Mine don't have crazy miles.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.9 12V's were rated from 160 hp to 185 hp in stock form. Sound familiar? NA IDI's carried similar power and torque ratings, add the Turbo and you have an easy 250 hp motor.

The only advantage to the 5.9 is the P-Pump, which has a much higher fueling capacity than the IDI's DB2, however places like CDD are narrowing that gap. If IH had chosen to use a P-Pump on the 6.9/7.3 like they did on the 9.0L's, we would all be talking about IDI swaps today instead of Cummins, the extra displacement speaks for itself.

Engine swaps can Nickle and Dime you to death. I doubt very much you can pull it off for $5K, even if you had a 5.9 sitting on the ground ready to go. Most people forget about the long list of items that go into engine swaps. Things like Motor mounts, exhaust, transmission adaptors, fuel lines, radiator relocation and hoses, steering clearance, oil pan clearance, air intake reconfiguration, and on and on and on all deepen a budget quickly.

P-Pump equipped IH 9.0 Liter Marine engine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people forget about the long list of items that go into engine swaps. Things like Motor mounts, exhaust, transmission adaptors, fuel lines, radiator relocation and hoses, steering clearance, oil pan clearance, air intake reconfiguration, and on and on and on...
When I read a post like that I think of Johnny Cash's "One piece at a time" song.

"...and when we tried to put in the bolts all the holes were gone"
lol

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told the inline six engine configuration is stronger than a v8. More main bearings and no shared rod journals.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also read that an inline six is a beautiful thing (gas or diesel).
I'm no engineer or mechanic but I think it's something to do with the balance of things?
My Benz inline six (gas) sings like a sewing machine. So smooth. It doesn't start making real power until it gets into the higher revs but it really seems to enjoy being wound out.
Then that leads me to thinking about my 1984 Mazda RX-7. I think redline on that rotary engine was 12k? That was the closest I've come to having a 2-stroke-powered car. ;-)

drewr13NJ

Reaction score
Oh, figured I would ask you guys who have turbocharged and cranked up the pumps on these IDIS... Will my clutch hold? I have a SMF Fort Wayne Clutch and Driveline unit I installed when I rebuilt the engine 2 years ago.

I agree that the little things nickel and dime ya on conversions.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have just a Napa branded kit for a SMF conversion, I think it's a LUK kit and it handles my turbo and turned up pump absolutely fine.

But back to the discussion of v vs i6, yes even I believe an i6 is better than a V, that's why practically all major heavy duty diesels switched from these big massive V blocks of the 70's and 80's to inline 6's, torque curve is perfect for hauling.

My stance is if doing a 6bt swap was financially feasible, and my idi was beyond repair, I'd consider it. But like other engine swaps where fabrication has to be done, hard pass for me. @FrozenMerc had some very good points about nickle and dimeing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.