Stanadyne Performance formula

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a Monitor KHW demand water heater in 1993. It burns kerosene which is stored outside. The water heater was discontinued by Monitor a year or two after I bought it. Replacement parts other than the nozzle and electrodes are unobtainium. It's a complex thing and even though I'm licensed to service and install oil fired appliances I never dared to get too involved with this water heater. I purchased a Toyotomi on demand water heater 5 years ago when this Monitor started acting up with the delayed ignition but have it stored as I see how long the Monitor will last. The outside fuel storage tank float gauge broke and allowed a little rain water to enter the fuel tank. Coincidentally or not the heater started having worse delayed ignition (fuel is sprayed into the chamber but doesn't light off for a few seconds - resulting in a loud boom and smoky light off). New nozzles and cleaning electrodes didn't help for long. I poured 1/2 a cup of Performance Formula into the fuel filter bowl and there's been no delayed ignition ever since (about 3 weeks now). One possibility is that the concentrated Stanadyne dose cleaned the fuel system (100 psi pump, lines, valves, nozzle) or it dispersed the water into smaller particles which allows for better ignition.
I've used Stanadyne in the '93 7.3 for 25 years and also use it in other diesel equipment and never have any water to drain from fuel sumps/filters.
I have no financial connection with Stanadyne but felt that what this one time treatment did to correct ignition problems with the water heater is applicable to its use in diesel fuel systems.
You must be registered for see images attach

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear!! I’ve experienced the delayed ignition and boom all inside my natural gas boiler. NOT fun.

Mine was an eaten away swirl plate and funnel piece that didn’t mix the gas and air right.

When my optilube runs out, maybe I’ll give stanadyne a go.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of additives are snake oil IMO - but this proves to me at least that water control and cleaning the fuel part of the system works. Plus it's not explosive or overly aggressive as a concentrated slug passed through without issue. The boom of delayed ignition must stress the chamber and heat exchanger tubes.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optilube has consistently returned 1-1.5 mpg better mileage when added at minimum dose to all 3 of my TDI’s vs no additives. Doubling the dosage just wasted money.

The TDI’s are my commuters and mileage is very repeatable.

The van is all over the place and greatly affected by speed and wind. But it gives me a warm fuzzy knowing I’m trying to help lube the IP.

Boiler still working fine to this day. But I did not enjoy that experience

ihc1470

Reaction score
The fuel injection shop that I have used several times recommends Stanadyne now that sulfur is not longer in the mix. Since they also make pumps I would think they should be a trusted source for additives. I farm running mostly older diesels. Have several AMBAC 100 pumps and three Robert Bosch pumps and a Cat pump. The fuel they receive is treated with this product. I have very little fuel system issues. Try to change filters every 200 hours of operation and do not recall every seeing water in a filter or when I open tank drains.