New electric fuel pump dead at 20 miles.

jj339629

Reaction score
I just installed an Earls electric fuel pump. Turned the ignition and heard the pump spooling up. Took the truck for a drive and it started right up. Got home and thought I would drain the fuel filter. So, with the truck running, I opened the fuel filter drain valve and drained off any liquid. Did that for about 10 seconds and the truck started to sputter and die. Now the fuel pump isn't spooling at all and the truck wont start. What happened? Did I kill the pump? Can it possibly already be clogged and dead? I didn't install a pre-filter before the pump.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed an Earls electric fuel pump. Turned the ignition and heard the pump spooling up. Took the truck for a drive and it started right up. Got home and thought I would drain the fuel filter. So, with the truck running, I opened the fuel filter drain valve and drained off any liquid. Did that for about 10 seconds and the truck started to sputter and die. Now the fuel pump isn't spooling at all and the truck wont start. What happened? Did I kill the pump? Can it possibly already be clogged and dead? I didn't install a pre-filter before the pump.
I don’t have a pre filter, but am gonna build a bracket to put my filter head in front of my pump, and a 6.9 filter head after the pump. That way I’ll have a water separator in front of the pump, and a regular filter after it. And I’ll have my 6 way manual fuel selector valve directly before the water separator.

I haven’t had issues with my pump though. Test your fuse and your relay. Did you buy the kit from Moose Diesel? I bought their Holley Red kit.

jj339629

Reaction score
I don’t have a pre filter, but am gonna build a bracket to put my filter head in front of my pump, and a 6.9 filter head after the pump. That way I’ll have a water separator in front of the pump, and a regular filter after it. And I’ll have my 6 way manual fuel selector valve directly before the water separator.

I haven’t had issues with my pump though. Test your fuse and your relay. Did you buy the kit from Moose Diesel? I bought their Holley Red kit.
I did. Just think it’s odd everything was running fine till I started draining my fuel filter and then it all crapped out. Fuses are all intact.

jj339629

Reaction score
Why would the pump stop working when I cracked open the drain valve on the fuel filter. Previous to that, my fuel filter light popped on a couple times while test driving it

jj339629

Reaction score
Why would the pump stop working when I cracked open the drain valve on the fuel filter. Previous to that, my fuel filter light popped on a couple times while test driving it
bump. Please… any advice or wisdom?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the filter light came on previous to draining it then the pump was already failing.

First thing I would do is test for voltage at the pump.

James

jj339629

Reaction score
If the filter light came on previous to draining it then the pump was already failing.

First thing I would do is test for voltage at the pump.

James
There was the ticket. Tested power at the pump and it wasn’t there. Tested continuous power at the battery and it was there. Tested power at the injection pump solenoid and it wasn’t there-poor connection. Fixed and solved.

Thank you!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86