oil loss through smoke?

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 88 f250 banks dealer installed turbo i bypassed the CDR and made a RDT if i let the truck idle for 3-5 minutes a rather large puddle will form under the tube i loose so much oil i loose about 4-5 quarts a week. Does anyone know why, i can see a ton of smoke pouring out from the tube do i need to go back to the CDR.

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something is very wrong with my truck i need some help guy its loosing oil pretty bad form the RDT and here is the weird part, in the morning the truck will smoke black out the tail pipe when it is in high idle and the timing is advanced. after it comes out of high idle it will smoke grey and a lot of grey from the tail pipe im so confused and i just wont my truck to run right. please help lol

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
No laughing matter. Black smoke is unburned fuel, gray is crankcase oil. Any puddles when parked, or is all of the loss while running? Sounds like it is time for a rebuild.

Oil smoke comes from several conditions, none of which are good.

- worn valve guides
- worn or broken rings
- burned valves (uncommon in diesels)
- scavenging crank oil through intake (usually results in runaway engine)
- bad (loose) bearings in turbo
- excess bore wear (also not common in diesels)

I am sure there are more, but none of these are quick fixes. Best thing to do now is have a compression check done to figure out if it is valves or rings. Or both.

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only puddle is oil from the RDT not the exhaust. but in the morning when its cold she runs like a top. now what bout this, if the ip pump is bad it will retard the timing i have brand new injectors, if its running good in the morning with the timing advanced but bad when its warm could the ip pump be going out. and i hope no rebuild its so expensive

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Worn IP and burning oil are two different problems. It is possible that they are connected (high mileage, extreme service), but fixing one does not fix the other, necessarily.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Longshot
Timing set recently?

Do fill in the stats on the truck' miles, equipment, history, ect!

Does the turbo slide /wiggle in the housing?

Valvetrain noisy?

What type oil?

Air filter clogged?

Service history?

4-5 qts in a week??? One mile =excessive 10000 =normal.
So give more details so we might be able to track down your issue.
These guys are real good at chipping away at an issue(an answer will come faster with more info)

Last edited:

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so here is the history the truck is new to me i seemed to be well maintained i mean look at the interior. i have done nothing to the truck except an oil change and injectors now the smoke from the tail pipe doesnt seem to be oil rather burnt fuel the RDT is oil, the turbo I dont know if its even working no boost gauge and i cant here it granted it is the bank kit with the large box it was installed by the dealer in 88. and still has the stock exhaust so i cant hear it spool. i played with the turbo very little shaft play it is with in spec. nothing else at all.
You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your attatchment failed' also see my edit.
Go to advanced(?) post to add the pic( I suck at the how part)

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no service history rotella 15w40 odometer read 81,*** no valve train noise air filter is good no restriction turbo looks good. OH i have a gnarly exhaust leak in the up pipe so that could be a reason for the lack of spooling