Road draft tube issues

353dd73idi

Reaction score
I have an 89 f250 with the 7.3idi in it. I've only had the truck about a year but I have put 45k miles on it. I never went through more than a quarter qt of oil between changes until a trip to Oregon in June I had a bunch of oil in my intake so I figured my cdr went bad i tried cleaning it a few times to no avail. So I replaced it with a road draft tube here recently. I did this because I couldn't find a cdr that wasn't Chinese I have since found them at the international dealer. However since I put a rdt on it I'm loosing a significant amount of oil. I was a half gallon low after a test drive. So I have 2 questions one did I do something wrong I have heard of people having great success with the rdt but I've had nothing but issues. Second do you think going back to a cdr would fix the issue? Tia

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The CDR also aids in returning vapor oil back into a liquid form then returns it to under the valley pan.
Intake that has a slight oil sheen is normal. Putting a road draft tube on was a solution to a nonexistent problem, I am willing to bet there was nothing wrong with your old one. The road draft tube allows all vapor oil to exit the engine.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit of oil consumption with a road draft tube is normal, but your oil loss seems excessive...

Black dawg

Reaction score
First, rdt sucks on these engines. Too much blow by to even be reasonable.

Had many of these trucks, and have worked on many, many more. Never had or seen one that would use a quarter quart of oil in and oil change. Honestly never have seen one that didn't burn use atleast a quart every 2500 or so.

How long was your test drive that used 2 quarts of oil?