Oil Cooler Reseal. Oil change Coolant flush

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright gentlemen, the coolant in my Degas bottle is very dark, either brown or black. I believe there is oil in my coolant. But there isn't any coolant in my oil which should mean my headgaskets are okay but it points to my oil cooler. Here are my questions.
1) How hard is it to remove? And what do I have to remove first out of the way to get to it?
2) Do I have to drain my oil as well as coolant?
3) Since I think there oil I'll need to get it out, can I run the truck with simple green or some sort in the coolant for a little to clean it out? Or should the truck be off and I spray a hose through it or something.
My truck is Stock height on 33 inch tires and is 4 wheel drive, if any of that helps.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
From my experience 4x4 makes it easier. Mine was a breeze.
I didn't have to take anything extra off.
It's good to replace the block drains with a petcock. Or at least pull them to get the most of the coolant out. Won't get as bad of a shower that way.
Plan on draining both. When you pull it off some coolant will get into the oil, vise versus.
I would try flushing with just water first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the full kit from Dieselorings.com , should I take the both sides that the cylinder slides into out? Or can I get away with jusy leaving the one in towards the front of the engine and remove the cylinder and oil filter piece?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit the tech sticky! Its a good primer!

Last edited:

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do both. Best to replace both gaskets anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yup, what he says. Plus if I remember correctly the ends don't just push right back on easily... I wouldn't want to try and shove it together in the engine bay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online