New Electric Fuel Pump: Carter or Holley

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at replacing my cheap fuel pump for a Holley Red or a Carter Marine pump from Summit. The Holley is at 7 psi which I know is good but the Carter comes in either 6 or 8 psi version, which would be better, the 8 psi?

What have more people been using with WMO or WVO?

tractorman86

Reaction score
the red pump i believe is the most common, i'm runnin one on almose strait wmo and it does great. i don't personally like the carters.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I've been looking at replacing my cheap fuel pump for a Holley Red or a Carter Marine pump from Summit. The Holley is at 7 psi which I know is good but the Carter comes in either 6 or 8 psi version, which would be better, the 8 psi?

What have more people been using with WMO or WVO?

I think either of the pumps will be more than sufficient, for your fueling needs. As to whats more popular, WMO or WVO, I would venture to say that the WMO is more widely used among our group than WVO. For the simple reason, you can blend WMO into the diesel fuel without the need for a heating source to make thinks work. BUT..... if you run a heavy concentration of WMO, that will need heat to be reliable for cold climate use. I have been throwing WMO in my tank for over a year now, but I haven't really ever gone over a 50/50 blend. More like a 70/30 blend. I have never had any problems with the fuel system.( knock on wood )

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I go in the other direction. I prefer the Carter over the holley. I ran a test for them with the one on my truck, been on there near two years without a hickup (short of a clogged pre-fuel filter which had nothing to do with the pump). The Carter also costs less and having sold them for years, I had no fear of their durability. When I managed the parts store, we sold a few Holleys and took a few of them back. Now I would also not blame their "supposed" failures on the pump in most instances, but the installer or even if the pump had actually failed. In other words, I wouldn't hesitate to use a Holley, but have a Carter on mine. You can see the part number in my sig if you so desire.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which Carter Pump are you using, and how do you set it up. What did you do with the stock pump, do you just by past it??

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To bypass the stock pump when converting to electric pumps, you NEED to remove the stock pump and use a pump block off plate in it's place. People use a fuel pump block off plate for big block chevy. This is because the stock pump has a diaphragm that will eventually fail without fuel going through it most likely leaving you stranded in the worst possible location with a trail of engine oil on the road.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I want to avoid, fuel getting into the oil. So take of the lift pump, and use a Chevy big block block off plate in it's place.

Cool, that's what I needed to know, thanks.

Marq

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i used the same carter pump as sle2115 and i mounted it right on front of the fuel selector valve. its giving me some issues though not pumping all the time. its getting voltage when it stops pumping so i assume it is an internal issue.

its wierd it sounds almost like its growling a little and sometimes when i hit it with my hand it will kick back in and spin up. sometimes it will pump for 5 seconds or an hour:dunno replacing switches and relays dousent change anything.

anyhoo a am sure they are good pumps and would get another i am pumping straight WMO through it and when it works everything is fine.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wonder if it's got any contaminations or junk in it. Do you think when I do mine, if I should do a filter set up pre-pump on it??

Marq

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I just wonder if it's got any contaminations or junk in it. Do you think when I do mine, if I should do a filter set up pre-pump on it??

Marq

My opinion, yes! Then again, I have one. It did clog once, not sure why as I have two new tanks, but none the less, the filters for it were $14 while the 7.3 filter was double that! Guess which one I would prefer to change!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea infact they tell you to put a filter inline before the pump.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on. When I get my pump, I want to make sure I get a filter set up also.

Marq
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no fuff on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of pre-filter are people using? I already have a Posi Flo pump but it doesn't seem strong enough for much WMO use.