Need lessons on how to talk 'machine shop'.

7.3idi-fan

Reaction score
pm me if you decide what shop your going with so i can get the number and find out wat they would charge for the stuff done i want thanks:thumbsup:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is correct; I wold keep the lifters in the same order as they came out just for peace of mind. A chunk of 2x4 with 16 big holes drilled in it works well for this....then make another one with smaller holes for the pushrods/rockers.

not needed, he has a reground cam for it. If you dont want to do it I will rebuild your lifters for you. better than the aftermarkets of unknown origin.
I have lots of oil cooler seal sets on hand, ford and felpro. would like to move some of it.
make sure you get new valve springs use the comp 910
the break in additive is great for the rocker arms

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
not needed, he has a reground cam for it. If you dont want to do it I will rebuild your lifters for you. better than the aftermarkets of unknown origin.
I have lots of oil cooler seal sets on hand, ford and felpro. would like to move some of it.
make sure you get new valve springs use the comp 910
the break in additive is great for the rocker arms

Alrighty- get me a cooler seal set and some injector washers on the way! PM me what I owe ya.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Not to argue, just an FYI, when I installed ARP studs on my '86, I did it with the engine in the truck. I did not have any issues. I know it's not the answer to your question. Have fun.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ, what's the deal with the Comp 910's?

Thanks,

Heath

its the higher pressure valve springs that we researched out and also was recommanded for the justins cam.

I am pretty sure thats the number.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alrighty- get me a cooler seal set and some injector washers on the way! PM me what I owe ya.

will do, prohbably late this weekend, working on buddys 63 ChevyII thats been in the bodyshop for a year, and we just found some bad flaws, he is not happy.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its the higher pressure valve springs that we researched out and also was recommanded for the justins cam.

I am pretty sure thats the number.

OK. Are these springs something to consider with the torque cam? Is the increased spring pressure a possible problem down the road..... increased rocker, pushrod, lifter, cam wear?

Heath

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Not to argue, just an FYI, when I installed ARP studs on my '86, I did it with the engine in the truck. I did not have any issues. I know it's not the answer to your question. Have fun.

No argument. I may have gone that route if I didn't have the inclination to fix a few oil leaks and get this motor sealed up tight. I know from previous experience that the turbo has to come off. On top of all that I don't want to fight torquing the heads down 5 times with the motor in the truck.

I'm also searching for a serpentine belt setup... to add some pain to the process.cookoo

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
No argument. I may have gone that route if I didn't have the inclination to fix a few oil leaks and get this motor sealed up tight. I know from previous experience that the turbo has to come off. On top of all that I don't want to fight torquing the heads down 5 times with the motor in the truck.

I'm also searching for a serpentine belt setup... to add some pain to the process.cookoo

Ahh yes, I did not have a Turbo to deal with, just an AC box. I did however replace my heads with ones I had rebuilt. I had an issue with 2 different heights on the bolt holes on each of the heads. The easiest way to explain is with pics.

passenger side
You must be registered for see images attach

driver side. as you can see some of the head bolt hole castings were much thicker on this head than the other. I ran the truck this way for ~15k miles before selling it.

finished product

Last edited:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Just pulled the heads off... she has a fresh .030 overbore and recently rebuilt heads... and an interesting explosion of a thermostat.... I will post the pics in a little while.

Doesn't look too bad though.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Comp 910's are what the powerstroke guys use, but we found out they will work with our engines. Much better spring than stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online