My wife's bronco died!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it cough back up through the intake?

Can you pull codes?

Sure sounds like an electrical issue telling something to send spark to the distributor. Can you grab a fused jumper (safety third) and wire straight from the battery to something on the whirly-woo to send that electric discharge right to the indoor firing range and see if she will sing for you?.....

@XOLATEM well hurry up on your house and quit hanging with us yahoo’s so then you can organize and find that Ford efi manual..... LOL

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't cough choke or gag. It did kinda run for a minute, but I had my foot to the floor and it was really weak. That was when I messed with the temperature charge thingy, but I couldn't get it to do it a second time so I wrote it off. Really, codes are a joke on this super primitive EFI. The couple of sencors that could be an issue I've unplugged or swapped and nothing happens, and that should cause it to run poorly in a different way at least.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it all stock-as from the factory...or does this Bronco have any aftermarket accessories wired in..?
I had my foot to the floor and it was really weak.
That would trigger 'clear flood' mode...stop firing the injectors...

I've unplugged or swapped and nothing happens, and that should cause it to run poorly in a different way at least.
that is true in my estimation...I would be looking for something that would stop the ignition...or the timing...no action with ether points in that direction..

Can you grab a fused jumper (safety third) and wire straight from the battery to something on the whirly-woo to send that electric discharge right to the indoor firing range and see if she will sing for you?.....

That seems to be a bit of eloquent poetry..I think we have a closet poet here..of the magnitude of at least Walt Whitman..such imagery..!!!
I did get the ignition switch to smoke by fooling with it,
I would look at the fusible links at the starter relay...if the ign, switch smoked...then it could have shorted and broke an open in the circuit for the 12V to the ECM and then reference voltage might not come out of the ECM... You need a breakout box and a wiring diagram....

To see if we are on the right track....check for 5vdc ref voltage at your 3 wire sensors..while you are at it....check for ground at them...also...
@XOLATEM well hurry up on your house and quit hanging with us yahoo’s so then you can organize and find that Ford efi manual..... LOL

I am sorry to say that there will not be any 'hurry up' on that...

We are gonna hafta wing it...

The house will progress at it's own pace...with a lot of diligence and nudging on our part...and...

The Girl was in charge of a lot of the packing...and...true to Her nature...she did it extra well....a neighbor that stopped by was aghast...'She has the boxes BANDED...and HERMETICALLY SEALED...'

Another neighbor had given us moving boxes...for free...from some moving company or some such...

All of the boxes look the same...it is just like one of those dreams where you are trying desperately to do something or go somewhere and you are trying to swim through a sea of Jello...

this super primitive EFI.
Yes...it is a very early model...but that means that the solution will present itself much quicker than with an extremely complex one...

Not many sensors to check... and the ECM needs power and ground...

And we already know that adding fuel (ether)will not get it to go...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't cough choke or gag. It did kinda run for a minute, but I had my foot to the floor and it was really weak. That was when I messed with the temperature charge thingy, but I couldn't get it to do it a second time so I wrote it off. Really, codes are a joke on this super primitive EFI. The couple of sencors that could be an issue I've unplugged or swapped and nothing happens, and that should cause it to run poorly in a different way at least.
With that said, have you put a fuel pressure gauge on it? I had a 4.3 chevy that would only try to start with the throttle wide open even with ether. Once it started it ran fairly decent and was drivable.

Turned out it was the fuel pressure was really low, even though it seemed like it was good when pressing the Schrader valve.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it all stock-as from the factory...or does this Bronco have any aftermarket accessories wired in..?

That would trigger 'clear flood' mode...stop firing the injectors...

that is true in my estimation...I would be looking for something that would stop the ignition...or the timing...no action with ether points in that direction..

That seems to be a bit of eloquent poetry..I think we have a closet poet here..of the magnitude of at least Walt Whitman..such imagery..!!!

I would look at the fusible links at the starter relay...if the ign, switch smoked...then it could have shorted and broke an open in the circuit for the 12V to the ECM and then reference voltage might not come out of the ECM... You need a breakout box and a wiring diagram....

To see if we are on the right track....check for 5vdc ref voltage at your 3 wire sensors..while you are at it....check for ground at them...also...

I am sorry to say that there will not be any 'hurry up' on that...

We are gonna hafta wing it...

The house will progress at it's own pace...with a lot of diligence and nudging on our part...and...

The Girl was in charge of a lot of the packing...and...true to Her nature...she did it extra well....a neighbor that stopped by was aghast...'She has the boxes BANDED...and HERMETICALLY SEALED...'

Another neighbor had given us moving boxes...for free...from some moving company or some such...

All of the boxes look the same...it is just like one of those dreams where you are trying desperately to do something or go somewhere and you are trying to swim through a sea of Jello...

Yes...it is a very early model...but that means that the solution will present itself much quicker than with an extremely complex one...

Not many sensors to check... and the ECM needs power and ground...

And we already know that adding fuel (ether)will not get it to go...
I'm also convinced that you want it to be some strange wire problem. If I can conclude that it is some weird wire somewhere, YOU have to come find it! Because I'm going to be looking for a carburetor and points ignition.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife said she saw a tinge of smoke come from under the dash,
Well...we do have this symptom...unless the smoke was coming from her...she mighta been 'seeing red'...and everything seemed to be blanketed in a smoky haze....who knows...?

Sometimes My Girl can appear to have a blue haze around her...when she thinks that I am doing something that I am not supposed to do...again...

...it's the strangest thing...I have tried to capture it on film...but it doesn't show up...

Last edited:

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YOU have to come find it!
You just want me to bring some of my water...and take home some of your oil...uh...fuel...

I sense some skullduggery, here...
If I can conclude that it is some weird wire somewhere,
Have we ever really found any 'weird' wires...on these Fords...??

I have found more 'weird' stuff on other makes...like a honda wagon one time that had a main relay...that kept it from running...but not cranking...UP UNDER THE DASH......NOT....under the hood...***..??

Sorry....I am still steamed about that one...the car got junked...not because it had a bad relay...but because the owner would not pony up a deposit to get moving on a transmission overhaul...I waited months...maybe even a year...can't remember...and the guy kept stringing me along...

If people would just be truthful...have the guts to be truthful and forthcoming...with themselves and others...the world would be a much better place...

I'm going to be looking for a carburetor and points ignition.
Those..... were the days, my friends...

We thought they'd never end...

We'd sing and dance, forever and a day...

We;d pick the life we choose...

We'd fight and never lose...

For we were young,...and sure to get our way.....

Na.. na... na...... na na na...na na na na na na...na na na na....na na na na na.... na....

Na na na na na na....na na na na na na.....na na na naaaa...na na na na na naaaaaaaa....

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha!! With my closet jibberish of slang poetry I was trying to be helpful.

I was thinking is there a way to bypass this primitive efi system and just jumper 12 volts to the distributor and see if it will fire....?

I like the check for 5v reference signal.

@XOLATEM i was just pulling your leg. Nothing will get done quickly here either. Sounds like the boxes are sealed up good!!

@Jesus Freak you have the perfect environment to convert to carb and points. Temp....perfect 4 months of the year. Elevation change..... +/-3’!! If I lived in SD, I’d run a carb on my gas vehicles!!

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@XOLATEM i was just pulling your leg
I know...all in good fun...believe me...it is the first time in my life where I feel really deprived of all my resource material...and I have to rely on my fading memories and gut instinct...we are all in trouble...
I liked it very much...if you feel particularly inspired again...we might be able to include it...(with credit to you...) in my book of the life of a mechanic that I keep threatening to write...
@Jesus Freak you have the perfect environment to convert to carb and points. Temp....perfect 4 months of the year. Elevation change..... +/-3’!! If I lived in SD, I’d run a carb on my gas vehicles!!
So very true...I loved to rebuild carbs...the last one I did other than small engine stuff was a ...uh...maybe late 1970's Lincoln with a 460...ran great...the shop could not find one and gave up on fixing the original...they were trying to adapt an aftermarket carb...but it was one of those that you would have had to change the manifold and re-engineer everything.....as a favor...I took it home and got it working...

Once this house is done...I need to build a shed to work outta...and maybe I can fool with carbs again...as well as diesel stuff...

We can dream, can't we..?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright! I got the info........I used the #6 cylinder cause I could operate the crank with a long rachet in the left hand and a screwdriver to feel the piston with the right hand. The exhaust valve is still open at TDC and the intake valve starts opening almost halfway down........thus no compression, spark, or fuel at the right place at the right time for the right reasons!

Two paths divererged in a wood and I......
I took the one less traveled by.....
And that has made all the difference.

-robert frost-

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of his glorious grace.

Oh yeah...... Jesus is the red pill.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...we do have this symptom...unless the smoke was coming from her...she mighta been 'seeing red'...and everything seemed to be blanketed in a smoky haze....who knows...?

Sometimes My Girl can appear to have a blue haze around her...when she thinks that I am doing something that I am not supposed to do...again...

...it's the strangest thing...I have tried to capture it on film...but it doesn't show up...
The thing I concluded on this symptom is that the truck cranks up incredibly fast, so there's hardly any opportunity for a heat buildup in the switch and thus there's an accumulation of dust under there. So with her spinning it more than usual I figured the contact grease or dust got hot.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was thinking is there a way to bypass this primitive efi system and just jumper 12 volts to the distributor and see if it will fire....?

I like the check for 5v reference signal.

@XOLATEM i was just pulling your leg. Nothing will get done quickly here either. Sounds like the boxes are sealed up good!!

My plan before the red bronco decided otherwise, was the get my black 84 bronco going this fall/winter for the wife and then I was going to go the distance on the red bronco in the spring. The black bronco will be a carbureted 351 with an electronic distributor (If I was going to be driving it, I'd do points) but I guess that will be the spring project.

The red 86 will retain primitive EFI.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing I concluded on this symptom is that the truck cranks up incredibly fast, so there's hardly any opportunity for a heat buildup in the switch and thus there's an accumulation of dust under there. So with her spinning it more than usual I figured the contact grease or dust got hot.
Ahhhh...ok....makes sense...and low compression would allow it to spin faster....

Whew..!!! Glad we got somewhere on this one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online