My wife's bronco died!

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey...I just had a thought....have you checked to see if someone shoved a potato or a rag or something up the tail pipe..? as a joke...??

That would stop the engine and be a mystery diagnostic nightmare...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey...I just had a thought....have you checked to see if someone shoved a potato or a rag or something up the tail pipe..? as a joke...??

That would stop the engine and be a mystery diagnostic nightmare...
I did actually think about that.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So....what did you find out on the Wife's Bronco...?
Nothing yet. Monday is my "day off", so it'll actually be tomorrow before I do anything. I did study @Cant Write s diagram, since the truck doesn't run at all I don't think vacuum will tell me anything. I did try a shot of ether yesterday late evening, and it didn't do anything. I asked my wife if it back fired or did anything unusual as to indicate any undue stress on the timing chain, and she drove it to the feed store from the grocery store shut it down and it didn't crank back up. There was a tinge of smoke from under the dash is the only unusual bit. I pulled the PCM apartment, smells fine and I tried the extre I have. I did get the ignition switch to smoke by fooling with it, I swapped it for a different one..... nothing. Spark plugs are wet, fire is hot, it's something special for me! My plan is to pull the driver side valve cover and watch the valves move with a plug out and see if things are where they're supposed to be.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak sounds like a solid plan. Only other possible thought, you said the plugs are wet. Does it smell and look like gas? Possibility of water in the tank? Even with water in the fuel I would think it would try to hit on ether bit who knows.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak sounds like a solid plan. Only other possible thought, you said the plugs are wet. Does it smell and look like gas? Possibility of water in the tank? Even with water in the fuel I would think it would try to hit on ether bit who knows.

James
Yeah, it's gas. I wanted to freshen up the front of this engine in the spring........ya know, when it's convenient and on MY schedule. But the bronco has other plans.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to freshen up the front of this engine in the spring........ya know, when it's convenient and on MY schedule. But the bronco has other plans.
I have learned over the years. If you think it may need done, just do it now. It probably won't survive until it fits into your schedule. Or atleast that's how it goes for me.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have learned over the years. If you think it may need dnnst do it now. It probably won't survive until it fits into your schedule. Or atleast that's how it goes for me.

James
Agreed. I just got to thinking, what if someone put "sugar in my tank". It should still fire on ether though...... IDK. I'll figure it out tomorrow, because after all........ tomorrow is another day.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spark plugs are wet, fire is hot,
Fire is hot at what point in the secondary ign. system...?

I mentioned that it could be firing on only one cylinder...

I would check for fire at some other sparkplugs...

If the plugs are wet...I would not think that they are firing...

Also...when plugs get wet...they short out and don't fire...

Just tryin' to be helpful...

I wish that I had my book handy on Ford Fuel injection...it was a pretty comprehensive manual...I have moved around some and I don't know where all of my tech info is...

You think that it is possible that a fuse or circuit breaker smoked under the dash..?

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fire is hot at what point in the secondary ign. system...?

I mentioned that it could be firing on only one cylinder...

I would check for fire at some other sparkplugs...

If the plugs are wet...I would not think that they are firing...

Also...when plugs get wet...they short out and don't fire...

Just tryin' to be helpful...

I wish that I had my book handy on Ford Fuel injection...it was a pretty comprehensive manual...I have moved around some and I don't know where all of my tech info is...

You think that it is possible that a fuse or circuit breaker smoked under the dash..?
I'm with you. If I can make it run without pulling the front of the engine apart, that's what I'm going to do. But if the chain is moved, then the fuel, compression, and fire will be all wrong and there won't be combustion.......I think. I'd love for someone to chime in with the "silver bullet" that will just make it go, but I'm really feeling like this thing wants attention.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online