Injection Pump slowly dying-running rough-sluggish, but high mpg.

73IDIBenoit

Reaction score
My 1993 7.3 N/A for the longest time has had an IP that is sluggish. 28sec 0-60. Used to have OK power but lately has been sluggish. Fuel screw is untouched. Don’t want to mess up my truck.

Ima try some more atf but I just ran some not too long ago. When it’s warm it’ll sound like it’s missing on a cylinder.

Has an electric fuel system with 7.5psi at the IP, & has for the last 20k miles. Fresh fuel filter.

Gets 16-20mpg 3.55s & it being the summer doesn’t help much. It’s gotten bad over the last 200-300 miles I’ve driven this weekend on the highway. It’s almost unbearable to drive it’s that bad.

It’s got a fresh set of injectors in it, which helped starting but the hp is still pretty sluggish.

Where is a good place to purchase an IP. I got my injectors from Russ approx 8K ago. Been doing a lot of highway miles lately so I’d like to not get stranded on the side of the road.

IP has approximately 60-70k on existing IP. Truck has 230k on clock, IP is not original, has red paint on fuel screw cover.

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russrepair - Newberg, OR
Moose Diesel - Gilbert, SC
Classic Diesel Design - Seguin, TX
R&D IDI - Gillette, WY

I have not personally bought an injection pump but most everyone here will tell you these are the only places to get them from. I have ordered injectors from Russrepair, not received yet but I've only heard good things,

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Russ doesn't actually built the pumps himself, he outsources them, but the other 3 are good options. I personally purchased a Moose pump a few months ago, worked great out of the box.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check the timing and make sure that's correct. It only took 1 degree (8*BTDC) for my truck to feel noticeably slower. It's NA but once set at 9ish degrees it felt much better. Mind you my injectors and IP are both pretty tired but don't show signs of stopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online