Looking for an IDI (preferably turboed)

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I'm tired of replacing head gaskets and getting the same (actually worse) results. I am now convinced that I have a cracked in the cylinder wall (I checked it last time I did the gasket, I saw what I thought was just scoring from running it with the leak, but I'm guessing that is the crack) and I refuse to tear into that engine again (the money I've spent on doing it twice is almost as much as I expect to pay for an engine).

SO, I am in the market for a used IDI. Ideally, I'd like to find one within a reasonable drive from home (Raleigh, NC), with less then 200k miles on it, and ideally with a turbo already on it. If I can confirm it starts and runs, that would be great! I'm looking to spend no more then $1k for the engine, if it comes with a vehicle attached, I could pay a little more.

So if anyone has any leads, please let me know, I've been searching craigslist and e-bay, but they're either too expensive, too many miles, no turbo, or too far.

Thanks,

MoMo

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
so are you selling your truck?

i found this in the CBT mag
92 Model Ford Crew Cab - w/diesel engine, that knocking Dunn See Current Issue $1,100.00

Last edited:

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I'm tired of replacing head gaskets and getting the same (actually worse) results. I am now convinced that I have a cracked in the cylinder wall (I checked it last time I did the gasket, I saw what I thought was just scoring from running it with the leak, but I'm guessing that is the crack) and I refuse to tear into that engine again (the money I've spent on doing it twice is almost as much as I expect to pay for an engine).

Dang how much are the head gaskets in N.C.LOL or better yet, how cheap are the engines

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
You've got something wrong with that engine if you're blowing head gaskets out like crazy on a 7.3 with no turbo. 7.3's you have to worry about the cavitation of the cylinder walls as well, and think about that when you're looking for a replacement engine. But if you're lucky you can find a factory turbo engine and it'll have the sweet rotating assembly for the turbocharger.
Personally, I dont think I'll EVER buy another engine from ANYONE, not even a member here, and consider it a running engine. They're all cores in my mind now. I've been screwed too many times buying "low mile reman" engines. We've got a real winner in one of our trucks that takes every bit of restraint I can muster to keep me from plugging the block with a few .308's every time I go start the thing. Some days, I get really mad at it with how bad the blow by is and I'll just mash the pedal all the way to the floor up a huge incline just to see if the heads come off of it. So far I've had it 1250* and 14.5 psi at 3300rpm, but no such luck. Unfortunately the thing keeps holding together.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Something is wrong with what the guy says on the rebuilt 6.9... First off you don't need to sleeve them... Secondly the "new head" .... Milling them already??? I'm not buying all this new crap that the owner is speaking of. A rebuilt set of heads could have been milled flat and all new parts installed. I'm not picking at it but it just doesn't sit well with me how its worded....

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang how much are the head gaskets in N.C.LOL or better yet, how cheap are the engines

you got to figure, it's not just a head gasket...

3 head gaskets (messed one up installing the head the first time)
2 valley pans
2 sets of valve cover gaskets
having the head pressure checked
full oil change
10+gallons of coolant
new fuel return lines (broke the caps on two) (at least this will carry over to the new engine)
having the injectors checked (these will carry over as well)
oil cooler seals and gaskets (no related to replacing the head, but figured it was a good time to do it, and this will carry over as well)
Plus all the time, anger and frustration has to be worth something.:dunno

the gaskets were $250+
coolant is $12-$13 a gallon = $120-$130
$80 to have the head checked
It all starts to add up.

MoMo

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got something wrong with that engine if you're blowing head gaskets out like crazy on a 7.3 with no turbo.

That's just it, I'm not blowing the gaskets, but I am losing coolant out the tailpipe. I guess I should give the back story to help.

Weep hole went on the waterpump while I was 200 miles from home and 100 miles from my destination at 11:30 at night in back-country, VA. No coolant on hand, so I let it cool down some and drove it to a gas station. Filled it up with coolant, got to my location. Replaced the water pump, but I think the damage was already done. Since that time, the truck smoked white; more and more as time went on until she wouldn't turn over, (cause there was coolant in the cylinder). Determined it was the back, driver's side cylinder (removed glow plugs until the truck would turn over, and that one did it, and also sprayed coolant all over the engine bay). I assumed I blew the head gasket driving it hot, but I'm guessing it cracked the cylinder (my local diesel shop told me that cylinder was proned to problems). I guess it could be cavation, but the fact that it started right after I over-heated leads me to believe that it caused my problem.

Thanks for the heads up on buying used, I just really can't bring myself to pay several grand for a rebuild (plus the wife would kill me) so I'm going to have to take my chances with a used and hope for the best.

MoMo

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so are you selling your truck?

i found this in the CBT mag
92 Model Ford Crew Cab - w/diesel engine, that knocking Dunn See Current Issue $1,100.00

Good god no! I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. When I got the Vanchero (a story for another day) I posed to the wife about possibly getting rid of the diesel (because 3 trucks seemed a bit much) but she said I loved this truck too much, and put too much time into it to get rid of it.
Of course, now that the engine went and I'm looking to spend some $$ to get it back on the road, SHE proposed the idea, but I told her it was too late, she told me I could keep it!;Sweet

MoMo

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you had the heads checked, correct? Then it does appear that you would need to get your engine sleeved. If I were in your shoes, I'd just look for another motor and rebuild the other one at your leisure and either sell it, swap it back in, or keep it for a spare. I wouldn't ditch the whole truck, although if engine pulling isn't your thing, I can understand why that would be an easy way out.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Good god no! I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. When I got the Vanchero (a story for another day) I posed to the wife about possibly getting rid of the diesel (because 3 trucks seemed a bit much) but she said I loved this truck too much, and put too much time into it to get rid of it.
Of course, now that the engine went and I'm looking to spend some $$ to get it back on the road, SHE proposed the idea, but I told her it was too late, she told me I could keep it!;Sweet

MoMo
I've got a 88 7.3 I can bring to ya for $400!

Last edited:

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
There is a 95 idi turbo'ed ( turbo removed ) here in my shop. I will be willing to part with this engine. I do not know where in N.C. you are located but I am about 5 hours from Charlotte to my carport. Let me know if you are interested.
Foxman

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a 95 idi turbo'ed ( turbo removed ) here in my shop. I will be willing to part with this engine. I do not know where in N.C. you are located but I am about 5 hours from Charlotte to my carport. Let me know if you are interested.
Foxman

What milage did the engine have on it? Did it run? I'ma ssuming the turbo is removed as in, it's not a part of the deal. What price? I'm looking at visiting GA in a couple of weeks, I've got a line on one at a junkyard. If you want to PM me the info or e-mail, feel free to: smoothbronco at yahoo.com.

Thanks,

MoMo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online