Junkyard Score!!!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It was a combo of having the FSS wired on, turning it over with the starter, and then using the lift pump manual lever to push fuel through the IP to the injector that IP was on.

I'm finding cheap rebuild kits for the starters online....think I might just go that route.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Its just not wanting to catch. I don't know what the deal is? I have one hot wire to the FSS, but it has two tabs for wires. Putting it to one makes an audible click, and the same with the other. So I have it wired to one. There is also another solenoid that has a wire tab that doesn't click when touch, but it does kinda arc when touched so it is supposed to have a wire to it I think? It's below the IP, and has a small line going to the IP towards the block in comparison to the IP inlet line.

I ended up pulling my battery cables from my truck, huge difference over jumper cables. The thing white smokes like no tomorrow, but it won't catch. I have given it a shot of ether, an extremely small shot, and it catches instantly but won't stay running for more than one rev. For what it's worth the exhaust housing is coated in wet soot.

It turns over decent, not the fastest but not that slow. Two batteries with a small trickle charger on em.

Don't know what to do

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Its just not wanting to catch. I don't know what the deal is? I have one hot wire to the FSS, but it has two tabs for wires. Putting it to one makes an audible click, and the same with the other. So I have it wired to one. There is also another solenoid that has a wire tab that doesn't click when touch, but it does kinda arc when touched so it is supposed to have a wire to it I think? It's below the IP, and has a small line going to the IP towards the block in comparison to the IP inlet line.

I ended up pulling my battery cables from my truck, huge difference over jumper cables. The thing white smokes like no tomorrow, but it won't catch. I have given it a shot of ether, an extremely small shot, and it catches instantly but won't stay running for more than one rev. For what it's worth the exhaust housing is coated in wet soot.

It turns over decent, not the fastest but not that slow. Two batteries with a small trickle charger on em.

Don't know what to do

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the timings correct? The cummins I bought sat for 6 years and fired right up with good cranking speed.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hopefully with a couple minutes of run time it will clear everything up. I was satisfied with that though

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score

Don't know what to do

the 2 tabs on top of the FSS are one piece of metal. You apply 12v to it for on and take away for off. The "thing" on the side of the VE pump is called the KSB. Forgot what it stands for but it advances timing while cold starting. Now there are 2 different versions of this KSB. The old style "wax type" that were present on the non intercooled motors from 89 to 91??? i think. This type without 12v is advancing for cold starts and when it has 12v applied to it it starts to shut off. Now the intercooled type is the other way around. You apply 12v to it to turn it on (cold advance) and unpug it to not cold advance.

My 90 motor is a non intercooled motor and i have a wire running from the 2nd tab on the FSS straight to the KSB. Since its a wax motor it doesnt work instantly so i get cold advance in the morning and it slowly shuts itself off. No i have no idea how long it takes.