Making a junkyard parts run for the 86 F250

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1978 Kawasaki KD-100.

Here's me teaching Mom how to ride it. lol

I also have a 1978 Suzuki PE250 that I still ride (and race occasionally).
And my "modern" bike is a 2003 Gas Gas EC300 that has been to hell and back more times than I could count. I bet it's got over 20k miles. Very hard miles in rocks, roots, mud, and snow.

Attachments

• KD.jpg
    KD.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad didn't teach me much, but I helped him swap motors a couple times in his 81/82 f100 with a 3.8 V6( how many of those still exist) when I was 10-12yrs old. My oldest brother was 11 years older than me and he was my mechanic hero. He was doing hydrolics on big equipment in his early 20s and I remember as a teenager thinking how smooth all his ratchets were because they were always bathed in hydrolic fluid. And I tell you what, I bet I can hold a flashlight better than anyone you know without being in your way...... and that was before LED.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like there's a fine line between restore, and clean up. I've repainted most of my truck, but it still has dents and mild rust in certain areas, and I don't really care. Truck is made to be worked, not a pavement princess.
I’ve been seeing quite a bit of trucks in my area with huge lift (nothing new), pristine paint jobs, and color changers in the wheels. The AutoZone lights in the wheels Seems like the latest design evolution in the trendy pavement Princess trucks.

You do you, but Couldn’t be me

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like there's a fine line between restore, and clean up. I've repainted most of my truck, but it still has dents and mild rust in certain areas, and I don't really care. Truck is made to be worked, not a pavement princess.
Well, I'm going to have to criticize: the problem with repainting is that it's not the original paint. I really like faded original paint, and a repaint looks like..... well.....a repaint. Years ago in the little town I grew up in there was an old Datsun truck, it was white but the rust had caused the paint to crack in such a way that it was like the truck was covered in rust colored lightning. And it had stained the white paint. It was pretty amazing. I had a Farmall C that I painted, I was disgusted with myself and promised never to paint an old tractor again. Nothing says work like a rusty tractor from the 50s that runs like a sewing machine!

Edit: oh yeah, I had a 79 ford truck that had the most beautiful dent in the hood, I wish I had a picture, there's just no way to discribe that amazing dent. I've never seen another like it.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My take on this is that, while you're driving the truck, you can only see the hood and can't tell whether the rest of the paint matches, is in poor shape, or looks like it came right off of the showroom floor. Just don't look too hard in the side mirrors.
Now that's my type of philosophy. I do like a clean interior, because that's the part you live in.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think repaints have their advantages and their place. I also quite like letting a truck responsibly age as it gathers dents, scuffs, marks. I know the adage “it means character” is said often, but it’s very true.

Each and every one of those dents, whisky wrinkles and scuff marks tell a unique story about the car or truck, and what it’s spent it’s life around.

scuff marks like from when your nephew ran his bike down the side during dad’s birthday. Dents Like the one from that race car that backed into you at the strip. And Whisky wrinkles like when you showed off and sent it a little too hard after one too many beers (like this unfortunate fella probably did)
You must be registered for see images attach

This is a lot more than a “wrinkle” though, haha

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that's my type of philosophy. I do like a clean interior, because that's the part you live in.
How do you feel about carpeted floors or rubberized floors compared to bare metal floors that seem more common in the older pre-1980 trucks?

It’s a polarizing question when it comes to the more classic trucks

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My take on this is that, while you're driving the truck, you can only see the hood and can't tell whether the rest of the paint matches, is in poor shape, or looks like it came right off of the showroom floor. Just don't look too hard in the side mirrors.
Speaking of only seeing the hood, this is why I think it’s important to bring back hood ornaments. It’d be a big part of what you see!

I think people would drive a little more careful if they didn’t want to mess up that sweet Mercury Cougar Emblem
You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
They all have their purpose. Being as I only use my truck typically for rec use, like camping, boating, ect, it's nice having the carpet as the wife likes to take her shoes off when we're driving, so it's soft.
My dad's first idi, sadly he t boned someone with it, RIP! Had the blue linoleum flooring. Was originally a service truck, was super easy to clean.

I used to have a 1980 F250 with the camper package, had a little hood badge that said explorer. I miss that one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7