Making a junkyard parts run for the 86 F250

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Well this morning my old lady came outside to help take the hood and fender off that needs replacing.

Later today my buddy and I are going to hop into his pickup and we’re going to scoot over to a couple of junkyards and check out a couple 80-86 pick ups and see if they have decent fenders and hood, plus a couple of interior odds and ends like a door panel, sun visor hardware, maybe door power switches if I’m lucky, etc.
You must be registered for see images attach

This 86 has a decent interior and trim so it would be great to complete it.

The junkyard runs are amongst my favorite parts of these projects

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are hard to find parts for these trucks that are diesel specific like the Valley Pan gaskets (I’ve already reused mine with no RTV fluid and it’s surprisingly sealed) so can anyone think of 80-86 specific body parts or universal parts that are hard to find parts that are worth grabbing

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have fun. Watch out for snakes. ;-)

Btw, valley pan gaskets are not hard to find.

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are hard to find parts for these trucks that are diesel specific like the Valley Pan gaskets (I’ve already reused mine with no RTV fluid and it’s surprisingly sealed) so can anyone think of 80-86 specific body parts or universal parts that are hard to find parts that are worth grabbing
YES, entire trucks......get a couple ENTIRE TRUCKS!!! They quit making these trucks in 1986, for some dumb reason, and during a previous presidential administration they had a "cash for clunkers" program that made them more scarce than ever. Get you a few whole trucks!!!!

Edit.....SAVE THE BRONCOS!!!!, Forget the blue spotted, red testicled toad, save a Bull nose BRONCO!!!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cruise control cable!
If you don’t need it I’ll buy it from you.

Personally, I’m with Jesus Freak….drag a truck or two home with you.
I got a couple. I don't do cruise control, but I plan on rigging one up as a throttle for when I'm using my tow truck.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a couple
What’s your price sir?
Send a PM to me with the details, if you will.

Not to hijack the thread any further but I have to say: The cruise comes in very handy when I need to adjust my drawers or get a better purchase on the throttle…I make several 9 to 12 hour drives per quarter.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s your price sir?
Send a PM to me with the details, if you will.

Not to hijack the thread any further but I have to say: The cruise comes in very handy when I need to adjust my drawers or get a better purchase on the throttle…I make several 9 to 12 hour drives per quarter.
I understand. I drive for FedEx, my foot IS cruise control.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand. I drive for FedEx, my foot IS cruise control.

Driving for fedex I figured your throttle was either on or off, hurry up we know exactly where you're supposed to be and when!

Maybe that's more for the freight guys though. I know someone who used to drive for them and he had a couple choice words lol.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
YES, entire trucks......get a couple ENTIRE TRUCKS!!! They quit making these trucks in 1986, for some dumb reason, and during a previous presidential administration they had a "cash for clunkers" program that made them more scarce than ever. Get you a few whole trucks!!!!

Edit.....SAVE THE BRONCOS!!!!, Forget the blue spotted, red testicled toad, save a Bull nose BRONCO!!!
This is off subject, but you'll get a kick out of it. Last weekend, on my road trip, I stopped into a gas station before daylight for a personal pit stop. I had to take my card inside to fuel up since it didn't work. As I was about to walk through the doors, a guy who looked to be in his warly 20's told me that I had a beautiful truck. I almost pointed to it and said "that one?". I didn't say it, but I did turn back around to make sure he was talking to me. I talked to him for a couple of minutes. He wants one and either can't find one for sale or can't afford it. "No, I don't know of any for sale right now." I explained that I had it since 2013 so the current prices mean nothing to me. I doubt that he'd want to do any work on a Bull Nose truck anyway. Most (not all) young people don't these days.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt that he'd want to do any work on a Bull Nose truck anyway. Most (not all) young people don't these days.
I think what most young guys want but don't want to mess with and what you're seeing starting to ooze out are the 90s OBS trucks that belonged to grandpa who passed away a few years back and the family is finally selling his "old truck" that is in fantastic condition except the fuel system is shot from sitting for 6yrs with corn gas in the tank and injectors.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt that he'd want to do any work on a Bull Nose truck anyway. Most (not all) young people don't these days.
Well...I ain't young so I REALLY don't want to work on my vehicles.
But...it REALLY ****** me off when I can't work on them if I want to save the time and $ of sending it to a shop.
That's why I bought the '87 F-250 and the '85 Benz and sold the modern SUV.

I have to keep reminding my self of this when my knuckles are bleeding and I have grit in my ears and eyeballs. lol

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Wear gloves and safety glasses, your eyes will thank you later lol

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was exaggerating.
But work is work. And I'd rather be doing something else.
But there's some good satisfaction (and $ savings) from doing it yourself and not being dependent on someone else to keep you going. Even though I could probably afford to pay someone.
I'm afraid our society is loosing touch with that. :-(
I've been teaching my daughter what I can in that interest. She changes her own oil and knows how to change a tire on the side of the road in the dark. In fact, she did just that when her boyfriend's car got a flat out of cell phone range.
He's no longer her boyfriend. ;-)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online