Junkyard Score!!!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I ended up googling it LOL. This is an intercooled engine so 12v would be cold advance I guess. The vid was taken without it.

Thing sure didn't want to start until I used the hair dryer.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes and no. I just finished fixing a fuel filter leak and filled the system up. Just need to get the cylinders hot enough to burn off any crap left in there. For now I'm pleased it actually ran on it's own. Next time I will try with the ksb to see if the advance helps it start.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
cool. You prob wont see THAT much a difference with the KSB. I have no grid heater. KSB hard wired. and she fires first revolution in freezing mornings around here. Keep us updated.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So....

Either timing is way off, valve's are way out of adjustment, bad injectors, or bad IP....cause this thing poors white smoke like no tommorow and its so rich in diesel it makes your eyes water.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Valves are pretty easy to check. Timing is somewhat easy as there should be a tick mark on the timing case and a timing mark on the pump to show you about where it should be. I'd check those first. If those are right I'm going with bad injectors since the pump typically will fail off and not fail by over-fueling.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Intake Valves are .010 Exhaust valves are .020. As far as timing goes no matter where those punch marks end up on the case it wont cause that. Most guys shove the pump against the head (so spin the pump clockwise on the case) to advance timing. Its not enough to cause that. If you had any timing issue it would be a missing key on the pump shaft or the pump to cam gear is way off its mark. If those are ok. Im going with stuck injectors as well ;Sweet Which you can pull apart yourself and clean. They are very easy.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Or, if you want more power, go with a set of custom EDM injectors from SDX. Me likey mine a lot.

i 2nd that if you are looking to spend the extra cash. From what i read SDX as well as CCP are both injectors that seem to have 0 issues and great customer support ;Sweet

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Yep. SDX was slightly lacking on notifying me about the status of my sticks, but I could usually get the information I needed. Be advised, if you buy a set it's going to take about 3-4 weeks to get them in as they are VERY snowed under and their nozzle supplier kinda got them behind the 8-ball. Nevertheless, I love my set of 5x.012s from them. My set ended up being around $600ish and the extra coin was worth it since my OEM sticks were long in the tooth.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It was the first time I had ever done valve backlash...but I am fairly confident in my abilities.

Got a write up on the teardown of injectors?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I've never pulled them apart. One very important aspect is pop pressure, or the pressure the injector opens and sprays fuel. Too high the engine starves; too low and it floods (like what your's is doing.) Search around you may find a local shop that can test them for you.