Installing a Turbo? Read This!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
careful what you wish for.snicklas experiences with the 6.oh no is the exception not the rule with that disaster.
http://www.underhoodservice.com/getting-stoked-to-service-the-6-0l-power-stroke/
http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/6.0L-powerstroke-problems.html
http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...iesel-engine-class-action-lawsuit-settlement/
http://www.bigclassaction.com/settlement/ford-defective-diesel-engine-class-action-lawsuit.php

diesel forums are littered with horror stories of good folks loosing their ars in engine repairs that put a great,great deal of strain on a many family.within just a hour or two reading about these guys and their families hardships with massive repair bills for their 6.0 trucks,you'll want to be in tears for them.the saga continues over and over and over as people still keep buying the things.it doesn't take long to visit high traffic diesel sites' 60l sections to see the hardship horror stories of families so upside down on those trucks.bad,bad deal that hurt so many families.

On the other side, home many MILLIONS of Ford and IH 6.0's are on the road just like mine.... that have not been touched. You don't hear those stories like the bad ones. Yes there were issues. On BOTH sides of the issue. There were some growing pains, and for the most part they were taken care of. As for many of the bad reports, how many were the FAULT of the owned, for putting a tune in it and BLOWING THE HEADS OFF THE DECK!!!! Trust me, there are more of those than anyone wants to admit. I will maintain the PSD's are not the horrible POS's that everyone tries to make them out to be. They do not cost a fortune to own and drive. Some do some don't. That is the way anything is. I have no pity, and do not fault the engine when the owner did something to cause damage. No different than someone on here turning a pump wide open on an N/A IDI and melting the pistons. Sorry you broke it, it is not a junk engine.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I'm really thinking about selling my truck... As long as I get what I put into it.... With the turbo. the new parts, the tires and wheels.... Probably won't though.... I know myself really well and I have the worst feeling in my gut right now that my block is shot.... and if I try to get it bored for sleeves it will only make it worse.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really thinking about selling my truck... As long as I get what I put into it.... With the turbo. the new parts, the tires and wheels.... Probably won't though.... I know myself really well and I have the worst feeling in my gut right now that my block is shot.... and if I try to get it bored for sleeves it will only make it worse.

Yep probably won't. You went from wanting to do a 400hp/800ft. lb build, then wanting to put in head gaskets because one let loose, then wanting to sleeve and rebuild entire engine, then wanting to drop a navistar t446 engine in it, and now wanting to sell it. With all do respect, it may be time for you to forget about it for a while and approach situation at a different time. This is a simple fix that doesn't require this much "back and forth". IMO, the likeliness of it being cavitation related is slim. If you are running SCA's in it now, I would not worry about it. There has to be a limit on how much you want to do before you drop 20k into a truck that didn't need it in the first place.
If I were in your situation, I would pull heads off and see how walls look. If they check out, get heads rebuilt and put it back together.......and RUN IT for another 200k. With the symptoms that your truck is having, it sounds like HG's are the culprit. I don't know why you think the block is shot. Doesn't happen here too often. Anyways, the members here on OB will always be around to help out regardless of your final decision. Good luck and take your time.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah, this weekend will determine what I do.... I am going to have the block sonic tested if no signs of cavitation are present. See how thick the walls really are. If they are fairly solid, I will have it sleeved, that really helps with prevention of cavitation.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we know it didn't run all 100,000 miles with no sca in it. Ford put some in from the factory I am sure. So it had some until the first time the system was drained.

General consensus is even with no sca, the block will run 140 to 150k before cavitation will occur. You are still quite a ways from those marks. Most of the time cavitation will present itself out the tailpipe. The holes are lower than where combustion occurs with cavitation. So water is sucked in when the piston is low in the cylinder, then is compressed and goes through combustion then out the tailpipe. OR, it fills the cylinder when the engine is off and presents as a hydrolock situation. You aren't having either of these symptoms. You are having combustin gases pressurize your cooling system, classic head gasket symptoms.

Don't overthink it man. You have a solid truck! And all those good Pacific Northwest members your way!

Don't let the "cavitation fear" take over. I have been a member on here for a coule years now, and can only remember one member in those two years who had a block get a wormhole in it.

Is it important? Yes. Does it happen to every engine. No.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this weekend will determine what I do.... I am going to have the block sonic tested if no signs of cavitation are present. See how thick the walls really are. If they are fairly solid, I will have it sleeved, that really helps with prevention of cavitation.

Sounds like one heck of a good plan. Stick with it. These old trucks need a little fixing from time to time. Don't toss it just because it has a few imperfections. They are good workhorses. I do not think sleeving is necessary in your situation, but it sounds like this is the route you want to go and there's no problem with that....just as long as it is done right.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I guess this cavitation is freakin me out because how would a person get a good block if theirs was destroyed by cavitation. According to the receipts the engine was bought from International and installed by ford in.... 2005..... Looks to be a Re-Man'd engine which means it's probably bored over... I dunno what International woulda done with it... sleeve it maybe?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Find a diesel engine teaching school. Ask if they have any idi diesel blocks they may want to swap you for. Only down side to this is the threads are really used in the complete engine. I saw one complete engine that came to a school new from navistar years ago. They did not need it any longer because nobody was servicing them. I nearly bought it but passed. I was having issues trusting the threads.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Well, i would have the same issues then haha.... I dont want one that has been opened up probably 1000 times...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If its sound you can bore it 20, if you are going to sleeve it anyway, dont spend the money to sonic check it. And make sure the shop uses hardened sleeves.

Cavitation does not ruin the block, just the bore.
Sleeving is how you fix it so in doesnt happen again. And if its a reman, hell it could be a new block.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I'll post some pics of what I find when I take her apart! Then go from there! ;Sweet I need to stop freakin out... There is always a solution!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There you go! I have been where you are at before. Not with a head gasket, but other vehicles and projects. A little time and separation from the frustration always does some good.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Mine was working on a RHIB all day. Ol' 12 valve Cummins 5.9BT..... Marine applications are always POS's lol.... Salt water is the devil! Makes me love my 7.3L haha! That doesn't have a spec of rust on it :p

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
I feel your pain. Mine started using antifreeze fiercly and pressurizing system turned out to be a cracked head. Purchased another engine used rebuilt the heads put em on my block in truck and im back on the road. I have a complete bottom end i can sell plus all the extra parts i got including an IP. I may keep it and sleeve and build that bottom end as funds allow. $400 for engine 200 for head rebuild plus all gaskets. Bottom is sold for 200 if i will let it go. This was my experiance and i had never done it before. You may need nothing more than $100 or so of. gaskets and some time. I work 3 jobs for a family of 5 trying to save to get a home bigger than a singlewide. Stuff happens and it is a set back. Knuckle up and. tear into it. It might not be so bad. Most of us has run into such a problem before. Hey thats alot of us found such forums. Your not alone most here and other forums will help in any way they/we can find parts, specs, and info from those who have been there. For the record our 6.0 has been a better motor than our 2000 7.3 at my firedept. It has never been "played " with just run hard.

Last edited:

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I have a spare engine in my donor truck, it seemed to run fine! I just don't know the condition of the block concerning cavitation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin