Installing a Turbo? Read This!

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
I was and still am scared of the "c" word. I am curious if may be it happend to a subpar batch of ca stings. That was the best answer i got concerning cracked heads was that some crack some dont. Batch of that iron? Who knows. I would like to see a database started where casting problems are noted with casting numbers ie cracks/cavitation.

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
Even with the large crack in my head pressure wasnt as sever as yours and i believe the "c" would be slower at building pressure than my head.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Well, we will know by Sunday I hope.... I should be able to know by then! Hell, maybe even Saturday, gonna work on it till I got it all apart haha!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a spare engine in my donor truck, it seemed to run fine! I just don't know the condition of the block concerning cavitation.

Well if you keep dicking around and thinking about it if it is just a gasket the water in the bores will have it rusted up. Soo get it torn down .
FWIW I have rebuilt 5 or 6 cavitated blocks, they all happened about 3 inched down in the bore, lifter side.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a spare engine in my donor truck, it seemed to run fine! I just don't know the condition of the block concerning cavitation.

I could quote all of your posts, but you are running through the typical 'holy s***' reaction ANY OF US may have when the unexpected happens. I know I did multiple times with my current truck rebuild working through things (and I'm probably not done yet). At the end of the day, the guys here will help. At your mileage, inspect everything with the expectation that it is fine (except the head gaskets), because it probably is fine. But do what you need to do to have peace of mind. In this situation, I think the extra step of sonic testing is all you need. Then you will KNOW and can proceed from an educated position. If the walls are good, stop worrying and enjoy the engine!! Don't worry so much about worse case till ya know.

On a side note, sorry this happened once you're off leave. I'm rushing to finish mine now while I have leave, but there are so many other things I personally am also trying to take care of (house, see family, etc) while there is actually time, that I still can't work as much as I want. I may have missed this part, but if it isn't the vehicle you drive every day, be willing to let it sit if it needs major work. It sucks, and it bothers me every day with mine. But it is necessary sometimes, and it'll still be there when you have time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the first thing i would do is to pull either the injectors or the glowplugs one by one do a leak down and see if you can isolate where the leak is....
before you tear it down, then you know where to look more carefully

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the other side, home many MILLIONS of Ford and IH 6.0's are on the road just like mine.... that have not been touched. You don't hear those stories like the bad ones. Yes there were issues. On BOTH sides of the issue. There were some growing pains, and for the most part they were taken care of. As for many of the bad reports, how many were the FAULT of the owned, for putting a tune in it and BLOWING THE HEADS OFF THE DECK!!!! Trust me, there are more of those than anyone wants to admit. I will maintain the PSD's are not the horrible POS's that everyone tries to make them out to be. They do not cost a fortune to own and drive. Some do some don't. That is the way anything is. I have no pity, and do not fault the engine when the owner did something to cause damage. No different than someone on here turning a pump wide open on an N/A IDI and melting the pistons. Sorry you broke it, it is not a junk engine.

we both know im not talking about the failures related to owners but properly maintained engines at 0% fault of the owner as is with most of the cases of 6.oh no failures.
you can defend the engine all you want but you can't change facts.anyone can find countless upon countless of those engine failures all across the net which were even meticulously well maintained via their ford dealers.

“Ultimately, Ford sued its engine supplier, Navistar, for $493 million for what it termed ‘exceptionally high repair rates and warranty costs due to quality problems attributable to Navistar,’ including ‘design flaws,’” the class action lawsuit continues.

The defective Ford engine class action lawsuit says Ford documents show that (1) Ford knew about issues regarding the 6.0L Engine even before the engine’s launch; (2) the same core concerns persisted throughout Ford’s production and sale of the 6.0L Engine; (3) Ford never had a “definitive repair action” for these issues; (4) most, if not all of these concerns had a “common cause;” and (5) Ford ultimately adopted a band-aid approach to reduce its “warranty spend,” without addressing the “common causes” of these problems.

The Ford defective 6.0L diesel engine class action lawsuit is brought on behalf of all California entities and residents who currently own or lease (or previously owned or leased) a vehicle with a Ford 6.0L diesel engine. It is seeking numerous damages, including:

- Out-of-pocket damages for engine repair/service;
- Deductibles paid when repairs were covered by warranty;
- Towing charges incurred from having incapacitated vehicles towed in for repair;
- Lost profits from the inability to use vehicles when the engine failed, the vehicle being stored at a Ford dealership awaiting repair, or the vehicle being insufficiently reliable to be put into service;
- Cost to overhaul or replace the defective 6.0L Engines;
- Diminution in value of the vehicles due to the defect;
- Decreased trade-in or selling value; and more.

you can pretend the above isn't true.you can pretend it didn't happen and blame all or most of the owners you want, but the fact is going to remain.it was the worst diesel engine to have ever been placed in the f-series pickup.......by a landslide.
i have and always will warn the idi community who haven't researched the engine who ask about it.there's no way id want anyone to walk into and end up with such high repair bills and go deep into debt.regardless with a few testimonials like yours.the risk to reward simply isn't there.6.oh no trucks are valueless for very,very good reason.

Last edited:

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please, let's not turn this into a ******* contest about the 6.0L, huh? Put my vote on that topic into the "not interested, take it to the 6.0L board" box.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we both know im not talking about the failures related to owners but properly maintained engines at 0% fault of the owner as is with most of the cases of 6.oh no failures.
you can defend the engine all you want but you can't change facts.anyone can find countless upon countless of those engine failures all across the net which were even meticulously well maintained via their ford dealers.

“Ultimately, Ford sued its engine supplier, Navistar, for $493 million for what it termed ‘exceptionally high repair rates and warranty costs due to quality problems attributable to Navistar,’ including ‘design flaws,’” the class action lawsuit continues.

The defective Ford engine class action lawsuit says Ford documents show that (1) Ford knew about issues regarding the 6.0L Engine even before the engine’s launch; (2) the same core concerns persisted throughout Ford’s production and sale of the 6.0L Engine; (3) Ford never had a “definitive repair action” for these issues; (4) most, if not all of these concerns had a “common cause;” and (5) Ford ultimately adopted a band-aid approach to reduce its “warranty spend,” without addressing the “common causes” of these problems.

The Ford defective 6.0L diesel engine class action lawsuit is brought on behalf of all California entities and residents who currently own or lease (or previously owned or leased) a vehicle with a Ford 6.0L diesel engine. It is seeking numerous damages, including:

- Out-of-pocket damages for engine repair/service;
- Deductibles paid when repairs were covered by warranty;
- Towing charges incurred from having incapacitated vehicles towed in for repair;
- Lost profits from the inability to use vehicles when the engine failed, the vehicle being stored at a Ford dealership awaiting repair, or the vehicle being insufficiently reliable to be put into service;
- Cost to overhaul or replace the defective 6.0L Engines;
- Diminution in value of the vehicles due to the defect;
- Decreased trade-in or selling value; and more.

you can pretend the above isn't true.you can pretend it didn't happen and blame all or most of the owners you want, but the fact is going to remain.it was the worst diesel engine to have ever been placed in the f-series pickup.......by a landslide.
i have and always will warn the idi community who haven't researched the engine who ask about it.there's no way id want anyone to walk into and end up with such high repair bills and go deep into debt.regardless with a few testimonials like yours.the risk to reward simply isn't there.6.oh no trucks are valueless for very,very good reason.

I'm just going to comment that by the end of its short run, the 6.0 had gone from one of the worst in the industry its first year, to Ford's most reliable power plant (least warranty claims). I also know of more good 6.0s than bad ones. Their value is coming up, fast, because the problems are known and people can fairly easily do the upgrades they want to guarantee reliability. I feel for those who got bad ones, but that being said I would own one now and not be overly worried.

On topic, the 7.3 powerstroke is a good engine with a well earned good reputation. Obviously the idi's are good engines; many of our problems exist due to the simple fact of 30yrs of maybe less than stellar upkeep. The 6.4 I'm not sure on. The 6.7 seems to be pretty good but not perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
This truck is my daily driver, but I am fortunate enough to have ol' faithful with me.... She has never let me down, very reliable truck. 1990 F150 Single Cab Short Bed, 4x4 with the 5.0L and the AOD, been a very good truck. She is getting due for some work soon but she'll just have to hold up till I get the diesel back on the road and it's reliable. Once I get the engine apart and locate the problem, I will be sure to post the pictures on my build thread! I thank everyone for their support and opinions because opinions still matter! ;Sweet

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh dear....not the 6.0 debate cookoo. I have heard of people having good and bad luck with them. My dad blew a 03 up just after 20k. He ended up leaving it at the restaurant where it died and walked to work that day LOL. But then I know a guy that fixed the oil pump, egr cooler, and turbo and it has been the most reliable truck he has ever owned. I would not be scared to own one. A debate is a debate. Nobody will ever win the argument.....they will just end up making themselves looking like an idiot after it's all said and done.
To USNENFTS, hows the tear down coming along???

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
To USNENFTS, hows the tear down coming along???

Well, the Navy does an OUTSTANDING job keeping me away from home (lucky to be stationed at home) LOL but it's coming! I have the engine ready to pull, tranny is out, turbo is out, all accessories are off the engine, and radiator/fan are out. Pulling it on Saturday, the museum won't let me use the pettibone due to liability reasons so I borrowed a 2 ton engine hoist from my uncle and am pulling it first thing Saturday morning. I will be sure to post pictures in my build thread, I probably don't need to remove mt engine to do a top-end overhall but it's already ready and I kinda wanna re-paint the engine and clean the engine bay so..... :sly Gonna be fancy looking! I am doing other things while the engine is out ya know? I miss the smile on my face everytime the turbo would spool and that black haze was rolling ever so smooth out of the tail pipe..... What is really fun is when you accelerate and the turbo boost hasn't caught up yet so there is A LOT of smoke outta the rear end till the boost catches up, puts a :cool on my face, unless there is a Prius behind me, then its more like this :joker: I know, thats mean... I can't help it though

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel up 2.5 Flats W/10.5 Degrees Advance Timing
under the bus you go!!!! :D
no wonder you popped a gasket!

turn your fuel pump back down :rotflmao

Last edited:

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
the 6.0 being a new engine had many many problems in its first year. Ford ironed them out with revised parts after they learned of the problems. Could still be first year trucks floating around without revised parts. These trucks are probably the ones still encountering problems because the faults haven't been correct yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin