injector return lines and removal of salad bowl?

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so im kinda a noob with IDIs for now cause this is the first one ive owned and worked on, but i was wondering both where the injector return lines are to replace them cause their prolly old, cracked and sucking in air and i was wanting to replace them, and also where the "salad bowl" on the intake i read about is, and how i would go about removing it, cause i read that it helps boost performance a little and for now im on a super tight budget. help please? its a 1984 6.9 non turboed

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
S'up 84 N/A buddy...Salad bowl is on the bottom of the factory air filter cover, remove it through whatever means you have at your disposal (I used a sawzall) for about 5 hp maybe. It's a bit louder now, too.

Oh, return lines-- the small pieces of hose between the injectors. Come in a kit along with the plastic fittings and clamps and olives, usually about $40. Also, any rubber lines you see on top of the engine are part of the return, replace as necessary.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can hook you up with return kits.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take off your air filter cover. If there is a big cylinder of metal in the middle of the lid, then you've got a "soup Bowl". IIRC, they weren't on the '84's. I did have one on either of my '86 IDI's.

The fuel return caps/lines are on the top of the injectors under the injection lines coming from the IP. There are small rubber fuel lines connecting them all.

Heath

J D Recovery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any draw backs to removing this? It is always in my way when ever I take off the cover.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The returns lines are found on the injectors. Its the plastic and rubber lines that run from each injector. Yours may be painted grey. The salad bowl you speak of is really called a soup bowl but your new to all this... Its ok and most understand... We were new once too. Anyway just remove the air filter cover and look under it.. The bowl looking thing spot welded to it is the air restricker-sound deadener that needs to be gone. If thats not found then its the small air intake on the bottom of the filter housing that chockes down the air flow to the intake. Cut that out for more air flow if its found. Welcome to the site too...:sly

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright, thanks :) i beleive i found the return lines, the green and grey ones between each injectors and all the rubber ones coming from the fuel pump?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I did have a soup/salad bowl on mine. Only drawback-- sometimes I get some oil spitting up onto my filter, not sure how that happens, so check it every once and awhile, you may have to replace it more frequently. Also, if you get rain water splashing down onto the top of the aircleaner, theoretically it is easier for it to enter the cleaner housing, make sure the wingnut has a rubber grommet at the top. Other than that, no drawbacks.

/\/\/\/\ Yes, all my supply lines are metal on this truck. The olives that come with the kit are esp. important, I've had to replace several of mine that were sucking air.

Last edited:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I know on my '86 I had not a soup bowl, but a restrictor plate...

I think there were about 5 crush rivets holding it on, I drilled on them a little with a 5/16" drill-bit, then beat the plate off with a hammer.

Made the truck a lot louder... Then I took my snorkel tube off and the truck was just too loud (rattled my fillings loose) :D So I put the snorkel tube back on.

The opening in that restrictor plate was WAY small, looked like it was about 2.5" - 3" diameter, not sure if it gave me any HP gain to get rid of it, though.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so i took the cover off and used a die grinder to cut the "soup bowl" off, and used a file to smooth the rest off and picked out and blew off as many of the fine metal shavings that i could with a blowgun so my intake wasnt sucking in metal particles and wreaking havoc in my cylinders... i have to say there is a small difference in power and my intake is quite loud, is there any drawbacks to doing this?

J D Recovery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just removed my bowl today and could feel the differance also not as much black smoke going up the hills now;Sweet