Injector pump no return

94diesel73idiTurb

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been reading the forum here for a while and everyone has been so helpful, so thanks in advance but I think I have a situation that I haven't encountered in any threads so far.

After sitting for a few days my 94 7.3 turbo idi did not want to start after a ton of cranking. Ended up deciding it was probably air intrusion somewhere and with a bit of fiddling I was able to get fuel to the injectors and last night it turned over and fired up with the return line still off of the top of the injector pump. Funny thing is that there is no fuel coming out of the return line, like zero. It's totally dry. My next plan is to remove that 90° fitting to check for a clog, but with the line from the filter already deleted there is no fuel in my return lines at all.

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated, thanks.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately there’s a good chance it’s your flex ring and the pump needs a rebuild. This video explains it really well between 7:04 and 9:08

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the flex ring starts coming apart would you be able to find pieces of it in the return fitting on the pump? I've been wanting to pull that return fitting on mine to check but didn't want to ruin any difficult to find seals.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've been wanting to pull that return fitting on mine to check but didn't want to ruin any difficult to find seals.
There's no seals there. The brass part has pipe threads while the other part, that stays with the pump when you have one rebuilt, is sealed by an o ring. Since this is in the return system, there's not much pressure there.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhere I read that the return line coming out the top of the fuel filter should be raised an inch above the filter housing to reduce/prevent stalling after a start up. After you get the I/P redone, this might be something to consider. I raised the hose and wrapped a zip tie around it to keep it looking like a camel hump.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a "Technical Service Bulletin" about
Eliminating it.
I deleted mine 5 or so years ago w/o any problems.

Goat
I got rid of mine when I put that 7.3 in my truck. With the return rails, clearance would have been difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online