IDI brings home a new international

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I could help. Set the timing around 4 degrees and id try to find a 2bbl motorcraft carb, they're cheap and simple which = reliable! I've tried the 2bbl holleys, you get some more pep but they're usually too stubborn to even run good. Even on the coldest days my black truck lights right off after a full revolution or 2 and runs great. People say AMC engines are easier to find parts for....not true, although there is a slightly larger aftermarket (intakes/msd dizzys) I have the same difficulty finding parts for my friends 360 as I do finding harvester parts. OHHH and run autolite 85 plugs,for some reason the part stores list 303 plugs but they do not go into the cylinder enough!!! Part #s make life easier when speaking to counter clowns too....cookoo

-Jon

Do you know which motorcraft carb is best? I had an old ford 360 in college and I think I only paid $70 for the motorcraft carb on that thing.
I am making my list now to take to the parts store and see if this thing is worth fixing. List at this point is,
Water pump,
Carburetor (or rebuild)
Master cylinder
Wheel cylinders
rubber brake lines
That should get it running and driving well enough to get it over to a friends exhaust shop to have the pipes put back on. It had a fairly new exhaust, but both pipes broke loose at the manifolds when they drug getting it off the trailer. Fortunately the manifolds are unharmed.
fortunatly the woman I got it from had just spent some money on it when it quit running. It has brand new plugs, cap, rotor, fuel pump and filter. The old bias tires look ok and were probably nearly new when she parked it, so was the exhaust.
It looks like I will end up fixing this truck. I am calling it my Wife's Christmas present:rotflmao She currently has an old 1972 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy she uses as a farm/ garden truck. I will give her the international since she has been wanting a dump bed, and pull the Chevy in the shop and do a full body restoration.
It will be a good excuse to test out the new mig welder I bought myself for Christmas.;Sweet

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Do you know which motorcraft carb is best? I had an old ford 360 in college and I think I only paid $70 for the motorcraft carb on that thing.
I am making my list now to take to the parts store and see if this thing is worth fixing. List at this point is,
Water pump,
Carburetor (or rebuild)
Master cylinder
Wheel cylinders
rubber brake lines
That should get it running and driving well enough to get it over to a friends exhaust shop to have the pipes put back on. It had a fairly new exhaust, but both pipes broke loose at the manifolds when they drug getting it off the trailer. Fortunately the manifolds are unharmed.
fortunatly the woman I got it from had just spent some money on it when it quit running. It has brand new plugs, cap, rotor, fuel pump and filter. The old bias tires look ok and were probably nearly new when she parked it, so was the exhaust.
It looks like I will end up fixing this truck. I am calling it my Wife's Christmas present:rotflmao She currently has an old 1972 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy she uses as a farm/ garden truck. I will give her the international since she has been wanting a dump bed, and pull the Chevy in the shop and do a full body restoration.
It will be a good excuse to test out the new mig welder I bought myself for Christmas.;Sweet

i think it's off a mid 70's 302 but i'm not 100% on that! good luck with the wheel cyl's i'm having a hard tme fining frnt ones, post parts #'s if you fnd a pair! water pumps are pretty cheap. the m/c's usually run about 12-18 dollars! ;Sweet she'll love the IH it'll run circles around that chevy!! :rotflmao

-Jon

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Watch out some Motocraft carbs have a large accl pump that will hit the thermostat housing. But they do have a version with a accl pump thats more built into the float chamber and it clears the thermostat housing just fine. Im sure someone on binder planet could tell you exactly what model. I had one years back on a 304 and it worked wonders

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
found some pics off the web

this is the one to avoid. It has the large accl pump

You must be registered for see images

This is the one to get

You must be registered for see images attach

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent some time with my local parts distributor yesterday. He quoted $70 for the water pump, and said I don't even want to hear what a rebuit carb will cost. $25 for a holly rebuild kit is probably where I am headed unless I can find someone to trade an extra quadrajunk I have on the shelf.
He did say that all the wheel cylinders and master cylinder kits are available. I might have to pay for the nose for an actual wheel cylinder (depending on what it has) but the kits should be cheap.
When i get things ordered I will post some numbers. I am going to try to get into the brakes later this week.

Last edited:

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
motorcrafts a simple, could probably get one from a junkyard and replace the 4 gaskets it has. use the chemical dip to clean it real good overnight. ;Sweet

-Jon

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at kragen and autozone for parts for your beast. Autozone quotes $62 for a reman w/p. If you are capable of honing out the old wheel cylinders you could order seal kits for them for next to nothing. Otherwise too much for the fronts and not so bad for the rears.

sassyrel

Reaction score
wow that's a twin to my dually! the points are to be set at .16. the 304 is an INTERNATIONAL ENGINE!!! :backoff the ONLY AMC in a fullsize pickup is a 401. the scouts had the 258. look at the dipstick, the bracket to the motor MAY have 2 bolt holes, the higher one up is a 345/392, lower one is a 304. usually 8 out of 10 times a 392 is a 4bbl.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=640071&l=8f3c871244&id=100000016924098

-Jon

except, i once owned,,a traveall with a 345--we checked--and it was 4 bbl!!! and if the body wouldnt have been rotted--id still own it!!! iowa winters!!!

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilt master cylinder $27
Carburater rebuild kit $27
1" impact socket to replace the three I broke before I figured out that the drivers side wheels are reverse threaded $7.95

I checked out the build sheet behind the glovebox. Its a 1972 with a Dana 70 rear end with 3.73 gears and a t-19 tranny.
It didn't have many bells or whistles beyond that.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i've seen a few 345's with 4bbls too, mostly on scouts.

that's odd i thought they stopped the reverse thread stuff it the mid 60's.....:confused:

-Jon