gonna get me one.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
I know of 4 OBS that when you rev it up it has a cough to it and I'm sure that theres nothin wrong with at least three of them and I read countless post about it from new truck owners cause it will smoke a little when it does it and they think somethings wrong I guess you got the one of the odd balls that don't or your talking about running at 2200 rpms and I meant just reving it up :confused:

first off a skip/miss ina psd is not normal.this is usually caused by bad injector O rings.it might nedd an oil change.the wrong type of oil could have been used in it.another issue with the 94-97 trucks is that they had the wrong dipstick for the oil.some had a dipstick that read full around 10-12 quarts when it takes 14 quarts.aerated oil will cause a skip.

im also willing to bet that on these 4 OBS you speak of have probably never had the fuel pressure regulator screen changed.smokeing associated with a skip is also caused by bad injector O rings.

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/_import/pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/index3.html read this.it is the powerstroke bible.

now if youre considering an SD you have to be completely honest about what you plan to do with the truck as far as added power cuz there are a few years to stay away from.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
no miss in any of the psds I have rolling around, only ones with the miss have probllems, be it a plugged screen, a mechanical problem , or and injector./ fuel delivery problem.

Rob keep looking we'll find ya one no use paying good money for someone elses problem. of course I can fix most any problem.

Travis I have a local guy looking for a truck like that.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i'm looking for a pre '99 as my first chioce, since i already know the chassis like the back of my hand. i'd get a SD if i found the right one though. gotta love the suicide doors and the SFA.

may have to wait a little while till we sell Wendy's 2004 Escape. 47000 miles, 4x4, XLT V6. any takers?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep looking Rob, you will find a clean PSD. Theyre out there. What ever you do, dont settle for something that is less that what youre expectations are.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
is there such a thing as a 94-97 f350 extended cab 4x4? not crew cab? reason i ask is i wonder if i can get the solid front axle without the crew cab.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know for certain that in 96 and 97 the F-350 was available in Standard Cab, Super Cab and Crew Cab.

I am not positive on the 94 and 95 models. I believe in 97 the CC was a shortbed as well.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
couple questions.

1. does the PSD cavitate? my gut says no but i'm not sure

2. does the manual tranny use a DMF? if so is it the same crappy DMF used on the IDI? am i looking for trouble if i get a manual trans with 100k+ miles?

3. how are the auto trannys? i know autos basically suck but i'm getting lazy in my old age. read i want an auto but not if they dont last for ~100k miles on a rebuild with normal use. what does a decent rebuild cost?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
69oiler said:
couple questions.

1. does the PSD cavitate? my gut says no but i'm not sure

very rare.in the year that i have had my PSD i think i read about 1 that may have cavitated.

2. does the manual tranny use a DMF? if so is it the same crappy DMF used on the IDI? am i looking for trouble if i get a manual trans with 100k+ miles?

yes they do have the DMF.not the same as an IDI but the same deal.replace it with a SMF and your all set

3. how are the auto trannys? i know autos basically suck but i'm getting lazy in my old age. read i want an auto but not if they dont last for ~100k miles on a rebuild with normal use. what does a decent rebuild cost?

the E4OD had some upgrades done between 94-97.if you leave the truck stock andont beat on it the tranny should be fine.the guys with the stock autos recomend the transgo tugger kit and an aftermarket torque converter.a decent rebuild runs from 2,000.00 to aroung 5,000.00.but good luck blowing these trannys up.

the E4OD in my 94 was rebuilt before i bought the truck.ive got over 100,000 miles on it now.only problems ive had is it has a leak and the TPS on the IP took a dump

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rich has you covered fairly well there.

On the E4OD:

They arent a bad tranny, and built properly they are indestructable. There is no need for an indestructable tranny unless your main goal in life is to do exactly that and destroy it (right Rich?). There are however several things you can do that are reasonably inexpensive to insure a longer life for your tranny. Mines got 170K on it and that I can tell, it hasnt been rebuilt. I'll give you some E4 "commandments.

1). Thou shall keep thine tranny cool. Buy a tru-cool tranny cooler and get rid of the stock cooler. The small tru-cool is good for 28,000 gvw and is about $70.00. There is a larger tru-cool unit and its good for like 40,000 gvw.

2.) Thou shall install a tranny temp gauge. Keep it under 230 way under and youll be happy. If I'm towing and I see the gauge heading up over 210 I slow down 5-10 mph.

3.) Thou should install a shift kit. They keep the shifts firmer, less TC slippage = less heat. Theres several different kits available for the E4OD/4R100. The Sonnax kit which beefs up the accumulator springs, very simple install no tranny removal required. Factory Tech Valve Body install... super simple, just drop the pan and unbolt the old vabvle body, bolt in the FTVB and filler up and go. Trans go reprograming kit which consists of accumulator springs and some check ball swapping, tranny stays in but the technical level is up one notch here. The trans-go tugger HD2 which is the above but with pump modifications, tranny comes alla way out for this install.

If you are going to do the all the way out method you should go ahead and put a new TC in it at that time. Theres several options out there ranging from inexpensive (but good) to in excess of 1500 clams (but REALLY good) for a TC.

Ive got about $750.00 in extras in mine with the Tugger kit, TC and cooler and temp gauge. I'm not planning on exceeding 400 hp~800 tq. I dont need a $4000 tranny.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Rich has you covered fairly well there.

On the E4OD:

They arent a bad tranny, and built properly they are indestructable. There is no need for an indestructable tranny unless your main goal in life is to do exactly that and destroy it (right Rich?).

like i would do something like that :angel: :angel: :D cookoo

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
I know of 4 OBS that when you rev it up it has a cough to it and I'm sure that theres nothin wrong with at least three of them and I read countless post about it from new truck owners cause it will smoke a little when it does it and they think somethings wrong I guess you got the one of the odd balls that don't or your talking about running at 2200 rpms and I meant just reving it up :confused:

ok well my truck is doing this exact same thing,it needs an injector

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:

ok well my truck is doing this exact same thing,it needs an injector

have you or they done a cylinder contribution test(CCT) or buzz test on any of these trucks?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
nope I have done no tests it does not do it with a load on or even just driving down the road or if you rev it up slowly but if you jump on the fuel in nuetral it coughs at one rpm then revs on up I can't beleive if it was an injector it would only do it in nuetral at one rpm when the rest of the time it runs great