Gear Ratio Tire Size/Other Questions for Conversion

WilyWoodsman

Reaction score
Hi, I have lurked on the forum off and on and am amazed of what I have learned starting from scratch on diesel knowledge just by reading all of your guy's posts.
I am considering buying a 87 CC F350 4x4 auto with 410's and have a 93 5.9 6bt I want to eventually put in it with a zf6 from a later model ford diesel.
Can you mate that tranny to the 89 t case with another shaft with proper spline count or fabricating one?
After conversion if I tow little, but when I do would probably be a 1-2 horses in trailer, but usually concerned about mileage as a daily driver with no towing would a 3.73 ratio be good choice?
And if so, can I get that with the 410's and certain tire size?
Also, can I fit in a intercooler with the radiator and AC condensor without changing the front clip to a later model roomier clip, and if so what IC/Radiator models would you use? I have stock IC for 93 dodge that came with motor.
Thanks for any help and thanks for this great forum! :thumbsup:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome.
you are not going to like what I am going to say.
the ZF6 is a waste of money for converting. you will need the later transfer case due to the difference in the spline count.
the second thing is if you are replacing the IDI motor with a 6BT, you will need to re-ratio your rear in order for the motor to be in it's sweet spot. for towing, 4.10 is ideal in a IDI. But in a 6BT you need to look at 3.54/3.55. All the trans gears in the world will make a little difference, but final drive ratio keeps a motor in it's powerband longer.