Gear choices

Ruffnek7tree

Reaction score
Thank you guys! Idk how much to turn up the fuel, I guess I'll do 1 flat and see what it gets me, I don't want excessive smoke at all.. just more peppy is all... just something reliable and good.. I also plan to swap in a kingpin dana 60 I have to make a great truck

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All on the same pickup I had:
4.10's with N/A stock tires
4.10's with Turbo stock tires
3.55's turbo stock tires
I have currently
3.55's with turbo and the large tires @ 285/75-16.

MPG's never really changed much. I averaged about 15 mpgs, except with the large tires it's about 14mpgs. The trick with these large tires is lowering the air pressure to get even treadwear. Most people don't do this, but I do and I love the ride on these softer tires. They just float over everything and road bumps are nothing. Love that.
I think I'm at 30psi front and 20 rear for DD'ing. Even those pressures still wear out the center faster than the shoulders.

The problem is the better the turbo setup, the more you use it. :love: So even though I would get better MPGs especially cruising with stock tires, I don't because driving faster and more tire drag.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
3.55's with turbo and the large tires @ 285/75-16.

They just float over everything and road bumps are nothing. Love that.
I think I'm at 30psi front and 20 rear for DD'ing. Even those pressures still wear out the center faster than the shoulders.
Wish I had 3.55's but I also got Dana 60 up front so I'd have to change front & rear.....& $$$$$ I just need to learn how & do it soon as I get my 40x64 shop finished!
Wonder how much $$$ it will cost me do do Dana 60 front & Sterling rear?
And with 3.55 1st & reverse & ZF5 untracking loaded be ruff! But I'd just do it & go!

@The_Josh_Bear how you keep from squirming off the road in curves with those pressures? LOL LOL

Ruffnek7tree

Reaction score
I have a complete rear, and I have a kingpin 60 I'm gonna swap up front.. gears, it all depends on if you do them yourself or not.. personally I am..

I am also going to swap a factory e locker for a 10.5 into the rear, because they cost about as much as a lunchbox locker from ford.. do I really need it? No, but I drive a lot during the winter in ****** situations lol

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I had 3.55's but I also got Dana 60 up front so I'd have to change front & rear.....& $$$$$ I just need to learn how & do it soon as I get my 40x64 shop finished!
Wonder how much $$$ it will cost me do do Dana 60 front & Sterling rear?
And with 3.55 1st & reverse & ZF5 untracking loaded be ruff! But I'd just do it & go!

@The_Josh_Bear how you keep from squirming off the road in curves with those pressures? LOL LOL
I re-geared the D50 myself(first timer!) and it was a lot of work due to all the heavy components, first time, it was winter, etc. But I learned a lot and I'm glad I did it. All that to say I can't tell you how much it'll cost to have someone else do it! LOL
As for the rear end you could probably find one and buy it whole for the same as the re-gear. I was able to find one locally and I was super-blessed that it came with a Detroit locker! He didn't even list it that way, just the best present ever when I opened it up.

As for the low tire pressure, I know it seems too low. And the tires do fold under a little when you really get into a corner, but to be honest you have to be pushing the truck really hard to make it a problem. Like WAY harder than an F250 needs to be pushed. Which means I only do it a few times a month!
:peelout

Takes a little getting used-to, but now it's quite the smooth and nice ride. Matter of fact I was driving my boss's 2021 F250 super duty the other day on a normal stretch of freeway and the front end drives like CRAP!! I couldn't believe the modern engineering of todays pickup trucks sucks so much. The darn thing bounced all over the place. My pickup runs over that same patch like an ol' Cadillac...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.