Anyone have any Sterling 10.25/10.5 Build Experience?

scjarena

Reaction score
I have a 1990 F350 with a Sterling 10.25. I'm going from 4.11, open carrier to 3.55, Ford traction lok. I have all new Timken bearings, 3.55 gears are a new Ford set, which has the longer splined pinion. So, the gears and trac Lock carrier would normally be from a Ford truck (02? and newer). All this is going into the 1990 axle housing. Anyways, I mocked it up, first with shim under pinion bearing, then without, but traction lock carrier is rubbing on the end of the pinion gear. If your familiar with these carriers, they are already within a hair distance from the pinion as new. Its all Ford parts, not sure why there is an issue. BTW, I’m new to Sterling 10.5s, but not setting up gears. I’ve probably done about a dozen Ford 9” rear ends over the years. Oh, and I’m 99 percent sure I installed the inner pinion race all the way, but I’m going to double check. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Thanks

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inner pinion bearing changed when they went to the 10.5, if your putting 10.5 gears in a 10.25 housing you have to use the 10.5 inner pinion bearing in the 10.25 housing.

scjarena

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I started to figure that out last night. I used a race from the bearing kit I bought, but I screwed up by making a setup bearing for the pinion shimming from an incorrect bearing. Anyways, got another used bearing, honed center for another setup bearing and everything seemed to have went together smoothly now. I need to research which pinion bearings that came in the new set are the correct ones. I think its good now, I'll adjust and see how the tooth patterns look.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually try for 8-10 thou, I can’t remember spec off hand but I think it’s 6-15 thou

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Also get a solid pinion spacer. Makes the setup easier, and stronger in the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online