Tires for 1991 F350 DRW - 235/85/16 or ?

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in need of a set of new tires for Project Brownie, a 1991 F350 CCLB DRW 7.3 ZF5.

I'll be using stock steel wheels, truck has 4.10 gears, will be used for towing. Not too worried about miles per gallon. Will spend some time off-road picking up project cars, so I'd prefer something with an all terrain kind of tread.

A 235/85/16 would work, but I'd prefer something a bit larger. The 255/85/16 would work, too (might have to use a spacer) but there's not a huge selection of tires in that size besides a BFG Mud Terrain, Toyo Open Country, Yokohama Geolander, and a Falken Wildpeak and all of these have more of an aggressive tread than what I'm looking for. Having said that, if anyone has good experience towing with these, please let me know.

What about different sizes? Does anyone run a different aspect ratio (70, 75, or 80 series?) in a similar sized tire?

Thanks,

Scott

You must be registered for see images attach

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in need of a set of new tires for Project Brownie, a 1991 F350 CCLB DRW 7.3 ZF5.

I'll be using stock steel wheels, truck has 4.10 gears, will be used for towing. Not too worried about miles per gallon. Will spend some time off-road picking up project cars, so I'd prefer something with an all terrain kind of tread.

A 235/85/16 would work, but I'd prefer something a bit larger. The 255/85/16 would work, too (might have to use a spacer) but there's not a huge selection of tires in that size besides a BFG Mud Terrain, Toyo Open Country, Yokohama Geolander, and a Falken Wildpeak and all of these have more of an aggressive tread than what I'm looking for. Having said that, if anyone has good experience towing with these, please let me know.

What about different sizes? Does anyone run a different aspect ratio (70, 75, or 80 series?) in a similar sized tire?

Thanks,

Scott

You must be registered for see images attach
Unless you’re never gonna pull with the truck, I wouldn’t put spacers in the back.

My favorite tire size is 235/85R16, both my Dodge and my service truck have that size. Extended cab truck will be getting that size when it needs new tires.

I have Hankook Dynapro tires, on all 3 trucks. All terrains on both Fords, and mud terrain on the Dodge. The all terrains are super quiet on the highway, and still grip very well. I swear by them. They are pretty expensive though, but have a good load rating. They handle weight without issue. I would recommend them. Unfortunately they don’t have them in 255/85R16. I don’t know if that’s a deal breaker for you or not. The 235/85R16 are extremely common, if you blow a tire, you can throw your spare on, and likely get a new tire same day.

The company I work for also uses the Hankook Dynapro all terrain tires, we have found them to hold up to gravel better than most other brands. We haven’t tried everything though.

The thing is, the all terrains have just recently been updated to have a sidewall like that of a mud terrain, but this doesn’t appear to affect noise, wear, or handling, on the trucks that we have equipped them with. My extended cab has them, and had the older style without the mud terrain sidewall before. From the cab there is no difference. Only thing is, they might be meaner looking from the side than you are going for.

The Dodge feed truck at the ranch, has Yokohama Geolanders. Very loud, and they seem to wear quicker. But that truck is very heavy… especially with two round bales on the back…

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ Agree with above on spacers: dont use them on anything with more than 5 lug nuts.

I’ve been running the Dynapros on my dually and they are quiet and grip well. I liked BFGs in the past on my 4wd stuff, but they are loud which is what you get with aggressive tread.

Best of luck. Picking a set of sneakers for your 3/4 or 1 ton might be harder than choosing a good wife.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to really like the Hankook dynapro atm, ran them for a number of years on several different trucks. Then about 4 years ago we started noticing they were wearing out really fast, about half the milage as before.

Went through about 3 sets of the atm like that before I finally said F-it and on a recommendation from my local tire shop I tried the Hercules TerraTrac. They seem to hold up like the Hankook used to, sidewalls are stiff enough to haul a 15k tractor on the gooseneck without the spongy ride alot of tires I have tried seem to have. I don't remember what size I'm running on hers though, I know it's bigger than stock but not sure how much.

James

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you’re never gonna pull with the truck, I wouldn’t put spacers in the back.

My favorite tire size is 235/85R16, both my Dodge and my service truck have that size. Extended cab truck will be getting that size when it needs new tires.

I have Hankook Dynapro tires, on all 3 trucks. All terrains on both Fords, and mud terrain on the Dodge. The all terrains are super quiet on the highway, and still grip very well. I swear by them. They are pretty expensive though, but have a good load rating. They handle weight without issue. I would recommend them. Unfortunately they don’t have them in 255/85R16. I don’t know if that’s a deal breaker for you or not. The 235/85R16 are extremely common, if you blow a tire, you can throw your spare on, and likely get a new tire same day.

The company I work for also uses the Hankook Dynapro all terrain tires, we have found them to hold up to gravel better than most other brands. We haven’t tried everything though.

The thing is, the all terrains have just recently been updated to have a sidewall like that of a mud terrain, but this doesn’t appear to affect noise, wear, or handling, on the trucks that we have equipped them with. My extended cab has them, and had the older style without the mud terrain sidewall before. From the cab there is no difference. Only thing is, they might be meaner looking from the side than you are going for.

The Dodge feed truck at the ranch, has Yokohama Geolanders. Very loud, and they seem to wear quicker. But that truck is very heavy… especially with two round bales on the back…

Hankook makes two different version of the Dynapro. The AT2's have really good ratings on Amazon and they're really inexpensive, too, at $177 each and free shipping. https://www.amazon.com/Hankook-Dynapro-Terrain-Radial-Tire-LT235/dp/B07MLPF7VG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1EIWXK1RUF8OG&keywords=hankook+dynapro&qid=1706365244&refinements=p_n_feature_twelve_browse-bin:10467259011,p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:6131680011,p_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin:10467319011&s=automotive&sprefix=hankook+dynapro+235/85/16,aps,122&sr=1-1&tire=4-235-85-16----&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

They don't have them in a 255, but with a 235 I won't have to run a spacer.

Thanks

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Agree with above on spacers: dont use them on anything with more than 5 lug nuts.

I’ve been running the Dynapros on my dually and they are quiet and grip well. I liked BFGs in the past on my 4wd stuff, but they are loud which is what you get with aggressive tread.

Best of luck. Picking a set of sneakers for your 3/4 or 1 ton might be harder than choosing a good wife.

Thanks. I'm liking the Dynapros, too.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to really like the Hankook dynapro atm, ran them for a number of years on several different trucks. Then about 4 years ago we started noticing they were wearing out really fast, about half the milage as before.

Went through about 3 sets of the atm like that before I finally said F-it and on a recommendation from my local tire shop I tried the Hercules TerraTrac. They seem to hold up like the Hankook used to, sidewalls are stiff enough to haul a 15k tractor on the gooseneck without the spongy ride alot of tires I have tried seem to have. I don't remember what size I'm running on hers though, I know it's bigger than stock but not sure how much.

James

Not terribly familiar with Hercules tires; they sell them locally, but no luck in finding a price online.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I am definitely overpaying at my local tire shop. Oh well…

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I exclusively buy tires at the junkyard. I can usually find pairs or sets less than 2yrs old for $25 a piece. I like the way 245/70/16s look. They got "the look". 235/85/16 are "correct", but don't have "the look"!

This is the only picture I can find of my Toyos on the tow truck. $80 for the set(4 tires) the 245s don't touch...... and just look at them! They look great! I might prefer a white letter though.

EDIT: Mine are LT245/75/16, I got 70 on the brain!

Attachments

• IMG_20220928_111516.jpg
    IMG_20220928_111516.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, seriously, when I haul off scrap metal or I'm in proximity to my local junkyards, I always pop in and say "hey guys I'm going to go check out the tires" and I just look. I was there a week ago and they had a single LT245/70/16 dynopro A/T that was a year old. If it was a pair I would have gotten them, but it was a single. The key is to make the random stops Simi regularly and before long you got tires or a set on standby for the price of one tire online. I mount my own tires as well.

LEARN TO READ DATE CODES TOO!!!

3421 means 34th week of 2021
1222 means 12th week of 2022

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I exclusively buy tires at the junkyard. I can usually find pairs or sets less than 2yrs old for $25 a piece. I like the way 245/70/16s look. They got "the look". 235/85/16 are "correct", but don't have "the look"!

This is the only picture I can find of my Toyos on the tow truck. $80 for the set(4 tires) the 245s don't touch...... and just look at them! They look great! I might prefer a white letter though.

Ok, so the 245/70/16's are about .4" thicker and 2.2" shorter than the 235/85/16's.

Another option would be 245/75/16. Plenty of tires available in that size. Those would be .4" thicker and 1.2" shorter than 235/85/16's.

Not finding anything in a 245/80/16 or 245/85/16.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the 245/70/16's are about .4" thicker and 2.2" shorter than the 235/85/16's.

Another option would be 245/75/16. Plenty of tires available in that size. Those would be .4" thicker and 1.2" shorter than 235/85/16's.

Not finding anything in a 245/80/16 or 245/85/16.
Because I'm all about "the look", I wouldn't like the height of the 80 or 85. The 75 gives me the "subtil low squat" look.

Hey @bulletpruf , mine are 245/75/16.

Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
This why I dislike duals - not much tire size options. Toyo M55 is a very rugged tire. Also available in the 255 with a heavy capacity.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
My '90 dually came with 215x? 16. I been running 235x85x16 for long time. 235'5 are the widest I can run. Wish I could find some taller tires that weren't wider. Anything wider nearly rubs dualed. Even with a 1/2" spacer still can't get enough between tires clearance to run taller & wider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online