fuel tank sending unit were to find

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time trying to find a rear tank sending unit...are they a dealer only item? Specs 94 f250 4x4. 7.3 non turbo

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local dealer tells me sending units for everything pre PSD is "obsolete" (this was last Thursday). Best luck would be a boneyard, or a universal kit ala JC Whitney. AFAIK, everything F-Series fits and interchanges, gassers too, from 87-97. I am in a similar boat, and will be beating up my neighborhood junkyards for anything I can find. ;)

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
easy find.....
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/FD/full.aspx?Page=57
but you have to shell out $430 :puke:

Few years ago I replaced both tanks and both sending units. I ran into the same problem of not finding the original replacement, or if I did it was rediculously priced. I ended up buying standard replacement sending units for a gas engine (same year). These sending units are designed to be used with an "in tank" electric fuel pump (which our trucks do not use). I purchased replacement sending units minus the pump (much cheaper) and simply add a piece of fuel line where the pump would normally be. I also added a brass barbed fitting to the end of the hose for weight so the hose would always lay on the bottom of the tank. Last thing is the electrical connection. The new sending unit has a different plug than you truck wiring harness. I bought new plugs from advance auto and soldered in place. This repair has worked flawlessly since installation.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try the link below to an ebay store. You can do a search using the part number if you have it, even if Ford tells you the part is discontinued, they should be able to tell you the part number. I have been able to find a number of hard to find parts being sold here that dealers say are discontinued. Their store also has diagrams that list all the part numbers of many different components:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/ford-parts-depot

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the updates... if I can't find 1 I'm thinkin on trying to remove the old lines and use a chunk of metal line then braze that into the original unit...

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I had problems with both sending units on my 91. I was had some NOS left over stock senders of the same vintage but not exactly right. I removed the reostat unit from the brand new but not the correct overall fit unit and installed it on mine, soldered and heatshinked the wire. Both work great. There are many different units in our year range even in diesel.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time trying to find a rear tank sending unit...are they a dealer only item? Specs 94 f250 4x4. 7.3 non turbo

Have you pulled the sending unit yet? My saddle tank had a bad float, and I was able to weasle it out without pulling the bed, changed the float and reassembled.

Good luck, I remember all the crispy sending units I fixed back in the salty midwest :eek:

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the tank last year and ever since then it was sucking a little bit of air in the line.. so I got rid of the quick disconnect plastic line and flared the ends and put rubber on.... and I still have air so over the weekend I dropped the tank again. So I could put the lines off the sender in a can of diesel and I got no air in the lines at that time I got rid of the shower head and did the fish cut rubber line and put the tank back in. Ran to the gas station put 6 gals of diesel in drove home and it stalled in the driveway. I'm going to drop it here again today to spray some soapy water on the sending unit lines and run some air in the lines to see if it bubbles.. the reason I know it's getting air is that I have the Carrier fuel pump and I can see the bubbles coming in the fuel pumps bowl when I run the rear tank. When I run the front tank it's just fine.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my fix worked.. 5/16 brake line replaced the old rusty line.. this old lines are just soldered in place.. so with a few bends in the new line and soldered it back in it works great.