Fuel mileage

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
OK, SO i just read the whole thread ... WOW..

Get a 4 spd , that will fix it .. If you need one PM me and i can get ya hooled up with everything you need .. I have 4 of them in the JY down the street and I'm in with the owners ..

Second myth = 12.5" wide tires =bad MPG ... I have 315/75/16's Cooper AT/3's , getting 20 on the freeway , with leaking HG's and leaking oil ... lol ... Good fuel pressure to the IP is important, and running good diesel supplement helps ( I personally swear by DEX atf ... My personal faveriot ) ..

and yes if you have turned up your pump, its pushing dollar bills out the pipe if you can see black smoke .... I race PSD's all the time before the HG's went ( after 30 years of abuse of course ) ... and i frequently won .. LMAO TOO !!!!

Big open exhaust will help a ton , and big Air cleaners will make HUGE differences .. I started off @ 15 mpg , tuned it up and big air cleaner and some Royal purple 15/40 oil and Z-max ... boom .. 17 mpg , I was happy with that for a while ( all this with 35's 12.5" wide ) .. then i did the exhaust and then went to At's form Mt tires ( saved nearly 24 pounds per tire ) .. all that rolling weight was the killer .. now just before the HG went 20 mpg all day 65 ( with the 3.55's ) ... going about 2200 rpm's ..

OK so with 4.10's and 33's you will be going about 2505 rpm's @ 60 mph
with 3.73 2279 rpm's
with 3.55's 2169

With 4.10's with 35's = 2389 @ 60 mph
with 3.73 with 35's = 2173
with 3.55's with 35's = 2068

Hope all this help ya all out ... Glad to be back here agian

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh ok.i just checked the thread out.i see you two biggest issues right here;

1. not having properly tracked fuel economy.- it's all horse shoes and hand grenades,brother.
properly track it,rather than a single estimate and see what you really get.

2.the converter isn't remaining locked. - well you can't have that.that's kinda like driving around with a slipping clutch.
start here at the most likely/free stuff:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...nce-Of-A-Clean-Trans-Harness-Code-62-amp-More

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked my first tank in the 86 last week. 13.3 driving empty around town and back n forth to work a couple times. That was driving like a milk man. I turned down the fuel about 1 flat to alleviate some of the smoke hoping for better mpg's too), and repaired a leaking return line. She's still a little smokey so I may go down a bit more, time will tell.
Travis..

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDOGONE

I pulled 33x12.50s and went to a 30 1:2" 17 and guess what? Much better ride. No improved MPG with 4:10s. It prob pulls better, but still! 16-17 MPG for me.

Is yours turned up?

No sir! Slow lane E350 with 4x4. She's a chunky girl too!
You must be registered for see images

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
Lol.. I made the comment as to the fuel eco.. it was awnsered ..

I have had 2 e40'd and they both chit out on me .. so i replaced them with the T-19's .. Much better and more fun to drive too ..

If you have stock tires ( 285/75/16's ) .. then yeah a 5 spd. is king .. but I like my 35's and the 4 spd ...

Its personal when it comes to an auto trans ... like my dodge ... its still a slush box, but i installed a new VB, and presto Fixed

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe stock tire size is 235/85/16 correct me if I'm wrong lol and yeah we did the 4speed swap into cousins 86 6.9 and it ran slot better lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4x4 trans? I duno pretty pricey IMO.
i got a compelte 2wd zf5 swap (minus rear DS) for 280.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's two wheel drive but came out of a f450 with the parking break and he said the parking breaking can come off and a transfer case will bolt right up. And it's fly wheel, clutch, trans, crossmember, drive shaft, clutch pedals, slave cylinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll also need the shifter, boot(s), tunnel floor pan, column cover, "fig leaf" for the gear display (however that's done on a brick). Get the master/line/slave as a unit, keep together, keep the master above the slave, _may_ avoid bleeding. T-case linkage may need to be shortened. Frame cross-member probably won't work, since it's from the narrower C&C frame.

Yes, tranny from an F-SD/450 with the driveline parking brAKE is the same bolt-up as a 4x4 tranny. You might still need a different rear driveshaft, as the parking brake may not occupy the same length as the t-case.

And I sure wouldn't call it pricey. $1200 for a working ZF5 with the trimmings is a sweet deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins

Members online