Fuel mileage

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have been getting tired oft IDI's mpg is there any way to get it to come up? Turbo? It is a stock 1989 f250 4x4 single cab long bed sitting on 33/12.50/16 tires with a maxed out injection pump and it's getting like 10 mpg is that normal r a idi? Or is mine just being stupid lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a maxed out injection pump

This might have a lot to do with it. Without a turbo, there is very likely fuel not being burned....or you had to turn up the fuel to compensate for a worn out pump.

My dually gets around 15 to 16 unloaded and pulled 11 on our trip to St. Louis pulling an 8000 pound camper through the wind.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it did have that hard start when hot before I turned it up then that went away after I turned it up. But will a turbo bring my mpg up a good bit? And I get a new ip?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, here is my setup. Banks sidewinder, moose junior pump.... Properly timed as well. Timing has made a big difference for mine as well.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't mess with the fuel screw on a www.conestogadiesel.com junior moose pump. Factory injector pumps ar 58 cc's of fuel I believe. My junior moose is 90 cc's of fuel. If I lug it down in third I can cover people in black smoke, but I rarely ever do that. Just wasting fuel if you are putting out smoke.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. They are already modified and tested to that point. When you "turn up" the fuel on one of these pumps, the timing curve on that fuel delivery is changed pretty dramatically. Mel, who builds the pumps, recommends not messing with the fuel delivery for that reason. Of course, 90 cc of fuel is plenty. I will tell you, a new, quality, rebuild is quite important in an efficient engine.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
a turbo will not increase mpg, your right foot determines mpg, mine averages around 14 or 15 mixed hwy and city, highest was 21 doing a constant 55 down the highway with about 1200 lbs in the bed, worst has been 9 towing a D3 dozer and a 580E backhoe. it gets about 13-14 down the highway at 70 with about 5-6k behind it

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So r&d's pumps would be the same push 90cc of fuel with out turning the fuel screw? And I keep my foot outta it most of the time once in a blue moon I might go wide open throttle from 0-55 or 35-55 but a lot of the time I'm babying it around to get mpg and it still gets about 10 but I was asking about replacing the pump bc I'm pretty sure mines about shot and the injectors were junk when I got it too I just replaced the injectors now I should probably do the pump and add a turbo kit? And would a messed up transmission deap mpg down? Bc my E4OD has been giving me fits and I'm about you just swap it out with a zf5

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the tranny being messed up will have something to do with mpgs being low... have you had your pump timed lately?

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see you mention your axle ratio anywhere on here, or at least I don't see it on mobile. I know that is a big factor.

My Truck is a 2wd with a 3.55 rear end and a rebuilt pump and new injectors. Those things combined really helped out my mpg. I average 17 going 75 down the interstate. I've saw as high as 20, though I also have a zf5, so one more thing to boost mileage.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.