Found some yucki

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what i can do is try and take the range sensor back and swap it out with a new one, drive it for 15-30 minutes till it does it again or hopefully won't do it. I wish i had a vehicle to load up and drive it around with that load on it, i have been unable to do that. Goin up hills causes the lack of power and struggle in trans as well, keep in mind im ok with just inching my way to where i need to go, its the symptoms during is what keeps me on edge that i may get stuck and have to fork out a $150 towing bill for my own towtruck :-(

Back when i towed my first car and got stuck in the customers driveway it would NOT go anywhere in first, second or third gear, i had to put it in neutral, push the pedal to the floor and wait almost 30 seconds for the tach to move at all and the engine to rev slowly to get rpms to put it in drive for it to move but ... not sure if that actual situation is related to the above

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sluggish take offs.
you need to insure the TECA is getting and keeping a clean power signal.
i think we need to backtrack and go right to ground 0.
that solenoid pack needed to be replaced and the front seal too.so your gaining,even though it doesn't feel like it.

so all the way back again.listen carefully;
insure the TECA relay plug and connectors are clean.replace the relay.

this is priority #1.this priority will never change.

going into neutral.
only after addressing priority #1 above.follow these instructions;

next.im going to have you manually set the range sensor rather than simply go with the 2 lines on the sensor.

note pins #2 and #3.

attachment.php

with the sensor plugged in.probe the two pins using your multi meter.with the key ON set your meter to volts.
with the shift lever in these positions,insure your getting these (very close) voltage readings;
P - 4.41
R - 3.60
N - 2.83
D - 2.09
2 - 1.37
1 - 0.68

if not.adjust your sensor a bit and try again.
don't forget to chock the wheels!

Attachments

• mlps pin.JPG
    mlps pin.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 34

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you didn't replace the teca relay? when it "pops out of gear" does the od light go dim (along with a 0 reading on the tach) ?
you were supposed to start with this back in a previous thread,so i hope you just forgot to add it to the list.

Didnt see that question. I did replace the relay, however the new relay caused the OD light to go dim so i had to switch back to the one that was in there. The new one had the same pin setup so i took it back and got a refund.

when it pops out the tach remains functioning like it should, because i rev it just a little to SSEEE if it will go back into gear.
The od light does NOT go dim at all

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back when i towed my first car and got stuck in the customers driveway it would NOT go anywhere in first, second or third gear, i had to put it in neutral, push the pedal to the floor and wait almost 30 seconds for the tach to move at all and the engine to rev slowly to get rpms to put it in drive for it to move but ... not sure if that actual situation is related to the above

ok.don't do that again.revving it wont fix it.you need to address the electrical issue causing the no tach reading.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tested in park and reverse, got a call so had to leave. Came back and one of my partners who is supporting the rebuild at transco said i need to make a move so im out of diagnostic time. The signals seem to be in range for those 2. I also adjusted it, took in on the hwy , and it did it again and had to come to a complete stop, took it a while to go into any gear. What i did was just rotate the sensor the total opposite way and tightened it down. came back moved it a just a hair drove threw the streets around my shop, did it again.I also removed the loom off the trans harness completely and besides a slight sheen of oil residue i was suprised at how clean and good condition they were in for some reason i expectd them to be just garbage. I know the tech at transco and ask him to please follow that harness all the way to ecu or whereever it goes and he said he will do what he can. I had no idea he worked there and i know him personally. Im truly hoping he can find wires corroded , chewed thru or something, sounds crazy but that wouldmake me feel better at this time lol.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I truly hope a rebuild will fix this even though the symptoms point toward faulty wiring/TRSensor. If for any reason it does this after the rebuild im going to assume safely that will isolate the trans itself as the problem and point toward wiring from the S Pack to , speed sensor, TRsensor up to where ever it plugs in it. But im going to think optimistically :)

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
rebuilding a trans sure is an expensive method for diagnosing the issue.fyi; a quality rebuild will set you back much more than 1200.if your going to have it rebuilt,you want it built to at least '95 specs.that's not enough coin to make that happen.

do you get 2.09 volts while in D position?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If the tranny doesn't move in any gear there are other issues. Without the TCM, the tranny will have forward and reverse. It will start in a higher gear.
Now if the tranny hesitates move, it's no longer electrical, but mechanical.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am limited on what i can do, total cost after dropping it off earlier is around 2k , im ok with that, 2nd gear was slipping with my little pickup truck loaded on it on the way to drop the Train off :-(

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran out of time to diagnose due to roadside calls. Only checked it in park and reverse sir. I have alot on my plate with business and personal life ,when i got the call from the partner investing in the trans rebuild i was like fkkkkkkkkk ..... becuase i want to fix it myself regardless of $$ even tho its tight. He said if your gonna make a move with the trans i need you to get on it today because i have funds moving around. I have no choice but to respect that.... I did ask Julio , the gentleman i know at trans shop if he could look for a spare switch/trans sensor and if he found one off another call me, he did call and said they had one but it was cracked from a 4x4 offroad accident. So i will see if the rebuild is gonna be golden tomorrow evening or the next afternoon and give you guys an update!!

@FORDF250HDXLT you are awesome! Just had to remind you. With your guidance i have made it this far and i thank you for that! I told them guys dont be breaking **** i replaced lol that came from resourceful fellas on the web! Was referring to the spack and other parts i replaced.

rebuilding a trans sure is an expensive method for diagnosing the issue.fyi; a quality rebuild will set you back much more than 1200.if your going to have it rebuilt,you want it built to at least '95 specs.that's not enough coin to make that happen.

do you get 2.09 volts while in D position?

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as much as i wanted to just fix it with @FORDF250HDXLT guidance, direction and knowledge i personally think its mechanical but even tho i truly believe that i did not give up and did 98.7% of what i was instructed to do via forums. oh well... judgement day tomorrow or next. That ride to the shop is gonna be insane with excitement and anxiety at the same time. Can anyone spare a 5th of JACK DANIELS!!!!!!!!!!!
If the tranny doesn't move in any gear there are other issues. Without the TCM, the tranny will have forward and reverse. It will start in a higher gear.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score

the way im taking is,that it's going into N while driving in D only (with and without od canceled).i could be wrong but,i don't think he ever mentioned loosing forward in manual 1/2 position or losing reverse.

is this a correct assessment waynetrain or do i understand wrong?

I ran out of time to diagnose due to roadside calls. Only checked it in park and reverse sir. I have alot on my plate with business and personal life

ah my bad.i should of stated the D position was the most critical.this way you could of started there.sorry man.

Last edited:

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FORDF250HDXLT hey bud! It has not wanted to go into gear while manually shifting after it has came out of gear, i have down shifted manually and it would still be in neutral slipping and trying to CATCH if that word is appropriate, and of course it eventually goes into a gear depending on speed and other factors.

yes i really wanted to check out the voltage in D because that makes sense but it was pouring rain and once i checked park and reverse i had to take calls :-(

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh i see.yup if she wouldn't go into 2nd gear in manual 1 or 2 and take off,then that's all she wrote.have her rebuilt without concern of it being in need.you can ask your trans guy to inspect the valve body for sticking valves and or binding springs.with a trans left sitting,this is still a concern.it wont take him long and is worth an inspection before he just tears it all down.....but who knows.haha.it's so hard to say when you resurrect an old truck from the grave just what you'll find.you'll get it in the end one way or the other.

so;
every 50k miles or during a reman.ford states you should replace the FIPL (TPS) which is about the last sensor you've got to replace still lol! you can read how in an article in the tech section of the forums here;
well i can't find it...................
oh.first page in there now is why.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?4134-Whats-a-FIPL

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online