Ford IDI vs Cummins12v

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know cummins 12v engines can make a lot of power like 800 -Flame Thr or so hp and still be driven daily what about ford IDI??? Dont they have that kind of potential or what. My dream truck would be a ford F250 or 350 crew 4x4 with 6inches of lift, and lots of power, If I want this do I have to put a cummins;Poke in my ford.

OK so Two minutes later you post this in the Marketplace forum,

Hi, I have my 88 F250 xl superab longbox 4x4 ZF5speed over 8,800 gvwr, so I think it is a heavyduty, 10.25 ford rear tbb dana 50 front, 3.55 gearing, truck got 20mpg on highway at 1,700 to 2,000 rpm, some rust along the very bottom of the cab but truck is 90% rust free, frame has no flaking only dark brown in color or black. I beliveve truck has 100k miles due to previous title from Wisconsin saying 69k actual miles back in 95 but not sure. Truck started hard but now Ipump is shot and I burnt up the starter solinoid. and I took the Ipump off without pulling the gear off so I disturbed the pump timming, so dont know if it will start again if I pull start it, and I am out of money and have no job to get new parts for this truck. Before I took the I pump off the truck when it started ran great would rev to the red drove up to about 95mph just twice to see if it would do it, used about a quart of oil every 200 miles on the highway had a some blowby out the oil fill but ran great, 4x4 works everthing else worked ok. I would like to sell this truck for $900 OBO I have pictures email [email protected] or you can call vince at (906)789-0761 or on weekends (906)241-0028 Truck is in Escanaba in the upper peninsula of MICHIGAN

It appears to me that based on your obsession with Power, your lack of experience, with diesels, (I to lack diesel knowledge, though I have wrenched gassers for many years) or auto mechanics in general, that some bad choices where made that have led to your present position.

Why not get a job, keep the truck, hang out here and read read read, then read some more. Did I mention read? All the while working towards affording to repair the truck you have and get the most out of what you have.

When you are in a position to buy Big Power because you have worked or some how got money, you can do so and hopefully by then you'll have read enough along with got your truck running well to objectively make choices based on reality rather than smoke!

Take the time needed to learn all you can before you "dig" into things that perhaps at this time are beyond your current skill level.

Just an FYI it took 7 months of research for me to actually make the decision of converting my 90 Gas engine Bronco to a diesel engine.

That included posting questions here, talking to Jason a diesel mechanic, who owns a 6.9 with turbo. Having him help me start the diesel engine and get his opinion on if it would be worth purchasing for a conversion.

These trucks are well built, require simple routine maintenance and will last a lifetime or two if well cared for.

Take some time to re-evaluate your situation then take the steps needed to change what needs changing so you can have the vehicle you want/need based on reality not Numbers of HP or TQ....Base your choices on education and reality not smoke and dreams.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking they were talking about rebuilding the IP's. Cause arent they really expensive to rebuild (at least compared to an IDI IP)? They probably last way longer than our IP's though...

Both the Bosch VE rotary injection pump, and the in-line P7100 pump on the 94-98 12-valves, are mostly user rebuildable, with very inexpensive rebuild kits readily available.

Also, either pump can be adjusted in several ways, according to the result desired, with simple screw-drivers, by the owner.

In comparison, the Stanadyne on my old 6.9 is more tedious than open-heart surgery.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Both the Bosch VE rotary injection pump, and the in-line P7100 pump on the 94-98 12-valves, are mostly user rebuildable, with very inexpensive rebuild kits readily available.

Also, either pump can be adjusted in several ways, according to the result desired, with simple screw-drivers, by the owner.

In comparison, the Stanadyne on my old 6.9 is more tedious than open-heart surgery.

Huh, I did not know this. I had the mindset of cummins IP's being very expensive to repair, maybe I'm thinking about the 24valvers :dunno . Thanks for correcting me though.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The P pumps are expensive if you have them rebuilt buy a Pro shop, the shop we use has insane prices for the P pumps, about double that of an IDI pump.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Most p-pumps last and last - failures aren't known to happen that often. Most guys run them for the life of the engine without problems. I researched it fairly hard when selecting a new ride a few years back when I broke from the IDI (The Enterprise).

eyoung429

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In regards to the IP on dodge's, they are expensive both the VE and P. But if maintained, they will last a lifetime. These generally fail due to negligence and not monitoring the lift pump. Keeping them lubricated and they will return the favor by staying alive a good long time.

I have both (91.5 5.9 turbo/IC and a 84 6.9) and prefer the '84 for towing around town and making long trips for parts, but I'll take the dually any day of the week for massive towing or having to work through the mountains.

Albeit, I am looking at another '84 6.9 that was creamed in the back end as a potential swap into my Bronco as there is less fabrication involved rather than using the spare 5.9 turbo/518 combo that is sitting in the garage already.

dieselviznince

Escanaba MICHIGAN
Reaction score
Well I did not mean to start any fights with anyone I like the ford and dodge diesels but forget about the pre duramax diesel chevys, for me. I am not a diesel mechanic or gas one just a tinkerer. I posted the for sale article before this one, doue to I am in over my head with not being able to buy parts, and I cant get a job for laborer in the U.P. where I live right now because is very difficult, I have been trying, which is why i am selling my truck, so I can start a new career as a big rig driver, but I need to get training, which costs money, as you can see I am in a perdiciment:dunno . And Im not obsessed with power I am just forward thinking on how to make it and what engine would do it and be reliable but I dont want all the electronics like the new stuff, or the 7.3 powerstroke, even though they seem nice:thumbsup: . I would like to have a crewcab old body ford with up to 600hp when I need it, I know if a diesel makes that much power it will make a lot of torque, like I say when I need it maybe have two modes somehow? But I do not want to go fast I just want to be able to tow, and go trail blazing. But not anytime soon-cuss . I am always wanting to learn more about diesels and what they can do, and how to improve them that is all, because I really dont care for gas engines any more but right I cant either one.;Pissed . But I can still look for all the info that I am so excited to find.:thumbsup:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The biggest issue I see with the P-pumps is oil leaks and lots of them. Usuallly on the back end around the throttle and governor cover.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The reason SBC (Small Block Chevy) parts are notorious for being cheap is that unlink Ford and Chrysler, Chevy had the where-with-all to standardize their parts. Pretty much everything except for the rotating assembly of one small block Chevy will fit into ANY other small block Chevy. There is no Cleveland, Modified, Windsor options for the same motor. Chevy basically made two blocks, small and big. Until 87, they were all the same respectively (small block to small block and big block to big block). Yes, there were higher performance parts in some than in others, but it was quite easy to swap them in either direction. From 87 on, there is still standardization, Chevy just made some improvements in block design and fuel flow patterns, but still, small block parts fit a small block, big block parts fit a big block. One cap, rotor and wires fits about all Chevy v8's for 30+ years, same cams, same heads, valve covers, etc. all considering small/big block of course, but even then, many parts interchange, such as distributor parts, flywheels, etc., etc.,etc.

Because of this standardization, parts producers can tool up once and make a run of parts that will fit MANY years of SBC motors. This is the reason why they are inexpensive and why there are few manufacturers capable of producing parts for "other" brands for similar pricing. But no matter what the case, I haven't found ANY diesel parts to be even close in comparison to ANY gasser parts! :)

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dieselvinze, I think you may be looking at the wrong figure. I doubt you will find many streetable Diesel of any make that will make 800HP or even 600 without HUGE mods. It is attainable for the Cummins, but I would think it would be a racetrack queen at that level. The IDI probably can't even make that kind of power in anything similar to how it was designed. I think for an IDI, 200HP at the wheels 250-300HP at the crank is about the practical limit for sustainable use. A good bit higher for the Cummins. Either of these trucks, a turbo IDI or a mechanical Cummins will tow any load you can throw at it. The IDI probably will be limited by high EGTs, which is somewhat alleviated with a DPS or Moose pump and an intercooler. The Cummins probably can take the heat a little better. Good luck whatever you do..hope it works out for you.

dieselviznince

Escanaba MICHIGAN
Reaction score
Right now I am just focusing on the possible future and what options I may have to make a great all around tow and trail vehicle. But right now dont know what to do about my truck:confused: , still am not sure if it will start and if it wont my pump timing is disturbed and I wont be able to fix that by taking the front engine cover off and then I will have to replace the gaskets there which I can not buy.-cuss . I am not doing my old 88 f250 any good and I cant keep it if I cant run it. So I have been trying to sell It but who knows maybe I will have to part it out. :dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now I am just focusing on the possible future and what options I may have to make a great all around tow and trail vehicle. But right now dont know what to do about my truck:confused: , still am not sure if it will start and if it wont my pump timing is disturbed and I wont be able to fix that by taking the front engine cover off and then I will have to replace the gaskets there which I can not buy.-cuss . I am not doing my old 88 f250 any good and I cant keep it if I cant run it. So I have been trying to sell It but who knows maybe I will have to part it out. :dunno

Hey,

It sounds to me that your frustrated and as such just want to junk your truck. Well no need to get so frustrated, many here have been in a position such as yours, it takes time and effort to overcome obstacles.

We understand your budget is nill, that aside, are you willing to do what ever work is required to do to get your truck running?
Are you willing to do what your told, and not a thing more?
Are you willing to STOP immediately if things get beyond your ability and ask for help before you proceed further and run deeper into the doo doo?

If you can answer YES to all of the above, then your truck will likely run again.

Check out the local library for manuals pertaining to your truck and either write out or photocopy the section regarding removing and replacing the injection pump.

Now I am no diesel mechanic, though I believe that with a little help and guidance from more experienced folk here your truck should be up and running with minimal fuss.

The key is to take your time, do things as your instructed to do, and most of all, DO NOT DO ANYTHING without first checking with those same folk here. If things start to get frustrating or you become uncertain of a procedure, then by all means stop, post your issues, wait for reply's and then procede once again

Anyone want to chime in here, and help this kid get his truck going? Ya'all figure it's fixable? Lets not leave a guy stranded fellows.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
dieselviznince, read this article that member Zigg wrote and see if you can get the timing squared away there is alot of good information in there that you could probably use to get it somewhat close. when you get that done, give us a shout and maybe tell us what your truck is doing then.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Timing article.htm

Hopefully this article will be able to help you get your truck up and running!!!

Last edited:

dieselviznince

Escanaba MICHIGAN
Reaction score
:yell: Wow that is a lot of reading to remember wish I had a dime to print a copy cause Im at the local library but maybe later. I will try this soon, as I can but I burnt up my 2month old starter solonoid from napa already:idiot: and I have to find another one. But maybe I will try to bower some money from my parents. I would rather be dead though. Since I am not a teen anymore I am 28 and just make some things still. Like throw away money -Down when I had it last and didnt buy a new Ipump because I was not sure if I needed to.