ford frustrated

derric

Reaction score
ok thank u very much, it should make things easier to figure out which one is the problem, I took the starter off once and had autozone check it, which it works but may not be turning fast enough for that engine, I love these trucks but so much to check when they get older and hadn't been took care of in the past plus im no genius when it comes to diesels

Kheg

Reaction score
Admittedly I may be way of base here but, when I first got my truck it was doing the same thing. The culprit was bad glow plug wiring causing the glow plugs to short cycle and not heat. Just a thought....

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hard line from the tank on my 93 is 1/4"(6.35mm)
But looks like the hose is 3/8? To pump.
Won't know for sure till tomorrow.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
If it hasn't been mentioned already I'd recommend rebuilding the fuel filter head. Given the age it's probably due. It is pretty simple to do once it is off the truck. Mine had a bad check valve (it's inside the little brass nipple---the one with a 5/16" hose on it that goes from the head to the injector) that for whatever reason was letting fuel drain out and causing hard cold starts. Hope this helps,

Andrew

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start by running fuel straight from a clean jar into the filter and slowly move back from there to find where the air intrusion is.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it hasn't been mentioned already I'd recommend rebuilding the fuel filter head. Given the age it's probably due. It is pretty simple to do once it is off the truck. Mine had a bad check valve (it's inside the little brass nipple---the one with a 5/16" hose on it that goes from the head to the injector) that for whatever reason was letting fuel drain out and causing hard cold starts. Hope this helps,

Andrew

To be more precise, this is what your referring to.

Attachments

• IPCHECKVALVE.jpg
    IPCHECKVALVE.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IP CHECK VALVE 2.jpg
    IP CHECK VALVE 2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 10

derric

Reaction score
ive replaced the starter now so it turns over faster, ive bought a glow pliug controller which I haven't installed yet, I replaced the rubber hose at the lift pump, I by-passed the fuel switchover valve and only run the front tank and put a checkvalve inline on the fuel supply line and it still will almost run both batteries down cranking it HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you getting smoke?
help us, help you and throw that controller on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726