Fluid Capacities

1992camarors

Reaction score
Ok well I need to know how much coolant to buy for my truck. Because I want to flush mine out and put new in. And I'm also about to do my first oil change on it. How much oil is needed?

sootman73

Reaction score
Im not sure on coolant. when i do an oil change i usually buy three gallons of oil and a gallon of lucas oil additive. it should take about 12 quarts for the 6.9l. i have a psd oil filter on my truck which adds another quart bringing me to 13. two quarts of lucas and 10 quarts of oil for you. you'll have some left over but you'll use it next time you change oil and possibly between oil changes if your truck uses some oil. its always good to have some oil sitting around in case it should get low for some reason. def a good idea to keep one of the gallon jugs in the truck at all times. i use Rotella 15w-40. lucas is just the oil additive no special diesel formula.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 quarts for the oil with the stock filter and 11 with a PSD filter.

I'm pretty sure it is 28 quarts for the coolant.

Heath

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 quarts on the engine, 29 in the cooling, but you might not be able to get all of it out. I read on anther post most people were only able to get 8 gallons out or 8 gallons in, however. But it holds 10 gallons of coolant.

You can use an older Powerstroke filter and it offers better filtration.

Last edited:

sootman73

Reaction score
i guess there are different capacities between the 7.3l and 6.9l? ive been able to easily get 13 quarts in without going over the line on the dipstick.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 Gallon = 4 Quarts, so 28q = 7 gallons. So if you buy 4 gallons and mix it 50/50, that will give you 8 gallons of coolant, so you have some extra.

As far as capasity of the oil....it is the same between 6.9 and 7.3 IDI's. Dude how do you get 13 quarts in there?:dunno :D

Just in case you want to know, the Motorcraft PN for the PSD filter is FL1995.

Heath

sootman73

Reaction score
not sure but i dont mind. i like to get into the discussion with the gm counterparts and brag that my truck takes nearly double what theirs does!;p ;Sweet

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first time I changed oil I put in 11qts. with a PSD filter and when checked hot it was 1/2 qt. over the full mark. A lot of expansion in 11 qts. of oil when hot.

sootman73

Reaction score
thats true but it is always only at the full mark on the dipstick every time i check it. i also use a K&N filter. might be a little bigger than a stock one. the nut on the bottom makes it worth the price. dont have an oil filter wrench to stretch around it.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i can get 11qts oil and 2qts lucas in mine with the K&N psd filter, got about 7 1/2gal in the cooling sys, but like cleithau said i dont think i got all of it out. is there a plug on the block somewhere, i dont remember one on the cooler when i rebuilt it.

Last edited:

sootman73

Reaction score
is there a way to flush out the cooling system? i know my gm 6.2l had a place to hook a garden hose to to help push out contaminants. i didn't see one in my ford though. would it be a good idea to install one? i think it was in the hose that led to the heater core.

tractorman86

Reaction score
that had to be aftermarket right gm never has any good ideas?! i just stuffed a hose in the top of the rad and let it run, occasionally taking the bottom hose off and letting it run out then do it over a few times

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
probably something that doesn't have to be so precise but...

the molecules in antifreeze are smaller than just water, and when you mix water and antifreeze together, the molecules mix in between each other. so 1 gallon antifreeze mixed with 1 gallon water will make 1-7/8 gallons mix.

info learned from chemistry class many moons ago

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the oil on a 91 E350 with the IDI 7.3 regular FL784 6.9 7.3 idi oil filter

Held a tad over two and a half gallons or oil and a quart of lucas.

So 11 quarts +-

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard some 7.3 engines have a 14 qt. oil pan...might not be true or that may apply only to the PSD. I just don't know. I do know that in my 86 with an FL1995 or wix equivalent 11 quarts, 9+ in the sump and 1.75 or so in the filter it comes just a hair over the full line on the dipstick. No place to put a hose on a 6.9 but you could use on of those el cheapo radiator flush kits from Prestone for that effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance