Finally got it !

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went Wednesday and finally picked her up . I got a '93 7.3 non turbo , with 93,??? original miles. Got to listen to her run before pulling , and she ran like a top , no smoke , valve covers leak a little (as far as I'm concerned , this is good, shows oil pressure) , very little blow by, no major leaks . I think this one will be a winner. I'll get picks up soon

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Valve cover leaks could be a sign of bad valve guides or blow by.
Which I doubt that one has either.

So this is going into a truck you already have. Putting a turbo on it?
Or any kind of upgrades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick88745

Reaction score
congrats on the truck. I wouldn't worry about the valve covers being a major problem. Mine were leaking at the beginning of last summer and it took about an hour and a half to re seal them with a new gasket and it has been fine ever since. Sounds like you might just need to give them a quick tightening.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valve cover leaks could be a sign of bad valve guides or blow by.
Which I doubt that one has either.

So this is going into a truck you already have. Putting a turbo on it?
Or any kind of upgrades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah , I've got a Garrett GTP38 to put on her. I observed this engine running for an hour or so . Very little blow by , which is normal from what I've seen .she had all wix filters (good sign) , according to the factory gauges (which aren't accurate, but give you an idea) she had great oil pressure. Plan on putting new valve cover gaskets , and a paint job before swapping into my truck .

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
With the engine out of the truck now will be the best time to replace the oil cooler o rings. At no other time will this job be any easier on you. With the engine in the truck all the work is over head. Oil and coolant needs to be drained and lots of crap drops in your face too. Some have removed the exhaust manifold and done the work from the top but still plenty of work.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your absolutely right , I checked on o rings thru rockauto. Really good price. Anyone deal with them ?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Typ4 aka Russ in Oregon has the good o rings for the oil cooler. You can't buy better than what he has. Might want to pm him about this. Buying the cheap ones will get you back in there much sooner than you want. I can't speak for the quality of what the common auto parts stores sell but I know russ sells the good stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle